1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i return a computer to factory specs?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by zachzchw, Jun 1, 2004.

1. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

I sold my pc, as Im going to get a new one shortly. How do I go about resetting it to how it was when I got it? I went to system restore, it only allows me to go back to march.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You dont. Not unless you (a) bought the machine in march, (b) have disk images lying around or (c) you have all the software that came with the system and you want to reformat and reconfigure exactly the way the system was when you bought it

3. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

Yes, I want it to be exactly as it was when I purchased it.

4. Praetor

5. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

I personally would format the hard drive and reinstall all the software it came with it.
    There are no short cuts to take. You have to do it the old fashion way (manually) install every thing.
    I know it's a pain. But if you don't have a Factory restore disk there is no other way that I know of doing what you want.

6. Praetor

Precisely. Just make sure you take precautions in case you have sensitive information on the drive or something too :)

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

8. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

Nehalem’s suggestion to use Darik’s Boot and Nuke is a great idea. As it will wipe your drive clean and will make recovery of any of your data very difficult to recover, and that is the main reason your want to set that PC to factory specs.