1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTP - PC to PC... How?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by 0951751, Nov 4, 2010.

1. 0951751

0951751 Member

Hello. I have 2 computers. I'm trying to transfer files from one computer to another. I can't use my flash drive because its capacity is 8GB and the files are well over 200GB. I have FileZilla installed on both computer and a CAT5 ethernet cable, what can I do to make it work? Is it even enough to make FTP/file transfer work? Also, buying a crossover cable is not an option. I prefer not to sign up/setup an account with one of those free FTP server website thing. I really just want to transfer directly from PC to PC via ethernet cable connection, because it's much faster. Also, what do I need to enter in the "HOST", "USERNAME", "PASSWORD", etc box on FileZilla? On "HOST", I've tried my IP address and it doesn't work. User & Pass, I left blank because I never configured it. Thanks and let me know.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you using a router or just a modem to get on the net as there is a reason for my asking? why not remove the drive from 1 computer to other temporarily as will load faster then thru cable.

3. 0951751

0951751 Member

Yes I'm currently using a router. I have a 6 computer network. The modem is hooked up to the router, which is then hooked up to the router, then to my main computer in the office room. The computer I'm trying to transfer from is in my room, which is 2 rooms away from the router and connecting a 30+ ft ethernet cable is not an option (if you were going to suggest this). I've tried transferring files wirelessly via home network file sharing, but at times, connection often gets broken and transfer rate is far too slow.

That came into mind BUT it's not going to work. Mt desktop's HDD uses IDE connectors while my laptop uses SATA. External HDD kit for IDE costs around $15 - $20 and more for laptop SATA's. It would be a great if I picked up one of the kits, but then again, I'd hate the idea of having to shut down the computer, open it up, unscrew the drive, pull it out and insert it into the external kit, transfer the files then reassemble everything. It's just seems like too much work.

Though it didn't solve my situation, thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

4. defgod

defgod Member

Here is a couple of links on how to use filezilla.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2118360_use-filezilla.html
    http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Using

I also believe you will have to install filezilla server on one of your pc's. I believe it is the one the files are currently on but I might be wrong.