1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOPCAST - Watching games on your TV

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by MICKAH, Nov 11, 2010.

1. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Guys,

Below is a Tut I have done for those who want to watch games on thier TV via their laptop using Sopcast, for me SOPCAST is the best standalone player out there for watching games or fights, its stand alone, so no having to view through a site like Justin TV or Iragigoals which are both muck in my opinion, so follow the below

Watching Games via SOPCAST

Right a quick how to using SOPCAST to view games or any sporting event once it has a stream, Firstly, download SOPCAST

http://www.sopcast.com/download/

You now need the stream address

Below is the first screen, click auto login
    [​IMG]

The best Streams can be found on MYP2p.eu, they have various sections for sports, Some folk use justintv and the like, but your running into hassles as, you are now relying on the person doing the stream, the site which they chose to embed the stream into and bandwidth and hidden Trojans, virus etc which can be picked up using such sites, my advice is to avoid sites like that, but its up to you

So for me SOPCAST and stand alone players are the way to go, no middle man, just you and the person streaming

Once you have selected the event from there, you need to choose the best streams based on size, anything over 500kbps will be clear, anything above gets better.

HINT 1: SOPCAST holds a record of all places visited, which as you
    Will see based on usage, will always be the same stream address used the following week for matches,

Once you have chosen the SOPCAST Stream you want on MYP2p, right click the PLAY button beside the game, select SAVE LINK LOCATION, then with SOPCAST open, past the address into the address bar at the top of the SOPCAST player it will look like this

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/102454

Then press the blue button beside it, it will then open a small screen and will start
    Loading up and buffering

[​IMG]

HINT 2: while this is happening, right click in the middle of the screen, choose options and then you will
    see buffer, this is set to 1 sec, you can change this to 20 secs, this will help eliminate stopping or freezing whilst watching your chosen program, you will need to do this each time you use SOPCAST

Now, you should be watching the game, you can expand this to fill the screen on your PC by using the choice of button on the SOP player

Wanna watch it on yer TV?

For those who use a lap top with HDMI, its simple plug and play, sound and vision from the TV, but for those who don’t have HDMI, then you will need two other things, you will need a standard audio cable, Audio jack cable (male to male), about 1.50 in your local MAPLINS or any electrical shop, you will also need a monitor
    Cable, a bog standard one you may have off an old PC, again these aint expensive.

Connecting to the TV - This is for those using LCD / LED / Plasma TV's
    On the back of most LCD / Plasma TV’s, there is the socket, plug the monitor cable (VGA) into this and then into your PC or Lap top, the audio cable is plugged into the headphone socket of the PC or lappy, you can connect the audio
    Cable to the TV, on the TV there is a audio jack or if you wish, connect it to your home cinema system audio jack

Now ya need to put the screen of yer laptop onto the TV, this is easily done via the laptop, on all laptops there is an option, using the FN button and F5 press together, look at the row of F1, F2, F3 etc numbers on the K*yboard,
    you will see a monitor pic on one of em, its usually the F5 button, but whatever it is on yours you need to press this and FN together, your monitor should now start flicking and you should see your desktop on the TV,

Lastly, choose the full screen option on SOPCAST, the program or game you are watching is now on the TV, full screen!!

HINT 3: To get the best from this, it’s all down to your PC and what it can display and in what range your TV can go
    right click on the desktop, choose properties, then choose Settings, if you have a full 1080 TV, you can change the setting to 1280 x 1054, this is what I have on my setting, but again this is a matter of trial and error based on your laptop and TV, click advanced and then monitor, you may be able to increase the screen
    Refresh rate to 85, this will improve the pic yet again! Lastly, if connecting to a Home Cinema system for sound you will have to toggle using the remote, to a proper Aux chan, could AUX 1 etc etc, until the sound comes out, once
    The sound is out, you can change this sound, again, based on your equipment to Dolby Pro logic, which will give you surround sound!!!!!

In effect, you will have surround sound, clear pic and hopefully happy viewing.

All the above is based on my experience of using SOPCAST and my set up, you may have to adjust some things as I say above, based on your PC, TV, HOMECINEMA system.

Happy Viewing

Below is a link to using SOPCAST - What I have posted above, is for getting your game onto your TV via the Laptop

http://www.sopcast.com/docs/

2. nellymcd

nellymcd Member

Thanks Mickah for a useful guide.

As for the other 'poster', I assume the edit was due to a spelling mistake.

3. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

prob was, prob a box seller not liking that ya dont need a box to watch what they sell for free and on yer TV or perhaps talking about his mother, never met the women, but I am sure she wouldnt be impressed about the way she is been talked about on a forum like that,

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

YYonyam, lightning struck!!! post deleted.

5. pikebhoy

pikebhoy Member

great post mickah watched the hoops on p2p friggin nitemare all the freezing will try this out thanks again

6. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

dont forget, the stream quality will determine the pic, higher the better

7. libbo2003

libbo2003 Regular member

Thank you very much Mickah

8. libbo2003

libbo2003 Regular member

One question when I open sopcast it shows xvid do you download that too?

9. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

XVID is a codec for playing content on your PC, its usually via Win Media player etc, unless you dont have they XVID codec on your PC, but that really should come into play with SOPCAST

10. libbo2003

libbo2003 Regular member

hi thanks for the reply, does the end of it mean 'it should not come into play'?

11. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

it shouldnt come in to play, but if you dont have a XVID codec, its worth getting as it helps playing back content that uses the XVID platform, but as SOPCAST is standalone you wont need anything else, when you open sopcast, just choose any of the chans listed in it to see if it works, even some chinese chan to test, if it does, then you are ready to go

YOu can download a full codec pack online for XP, VISTA etc, which has all the codecs you need in one pack

Vista
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/vista_codec_package.htm

You can get XP there also

12. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

since what happened to SV recently, I thought this may be useful for those wanting to watch sports etc

13. g7rjo

g7rjo Regular member

Many Thanks Mickah for the info

14. g7rjo

g7rjo Regular member

Many Thanks Mickah for the info

15. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

just for a test if you want copy the below and paste into the SOPCAST address bar

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/106723

Sunderland v Spurs its a 850kb stream, crystal clear and dont forget to set the buffer on sopcast, when the window opens and the stream is loading, right click the screen, choose options and change the buffer to 20 seconds,

16. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

in light of Krypt down, the above u can watch games,

17. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

Just bumping this back up as there are a few looking for tonights boxing.

18. 2dogsfighting71

2dogsfighting71 Regular member

Got the fight on p2p mate. Thanks again for that. But for thicko's like me; Does sopcast improve the quality? I got full audio but the screen froze a bit.

19. mark33

mark33 Member

Thanks for the info, i've been using this for a while, is there any way of improving the quality, mine is a bit blury. Is this due to the laptop or internet connection, maybe using a wired connection would be better.

20. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

all depends, if you get a stream of over 500 kbs this will be clear enough to put on yer TV, usually I get the streams at about 800kbps and above on SOPCAST for the footy, now if you do a few hints I mention above this will clear the pic up and stop the freezing while using SOPCAST, but its also down to your PC and internet speed,