AfterDawn: Tech news

AVG Free 2011 update pulled after reports it crashes Windows 7

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 05 Dec 2010 11:40 User comments (14)

AVG Free 2011 update pulled after reports it crashes Windows 7 AVG has pulled their latest update for AVG Free 2011 this week after it crashed systems running Windows 7 64-bit.
The antivirus database update is 271.1.1/3292 (432/3292) and has since been pulled after user outrage.

After being updated, AVG 2011 was prompting a system restart, which is then followed with a "STOP: cc0000135" error that completely crashes your system.

To be able to boot your system after the crash, AVG has made a "Rescue CD" available.

You can also use the package to boot from a USB drive.

Tags: Windows 7 AVG
Previous Next  

14 user comments

16.12.2010 00:11

Well it's a good thing I haven't done any win 7 AVG updates on my laptop; too busy running linux to care about the windows platform.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Dec 2010 @ 12:11

26.12.2010 03:32

Too busy using avast to care.

36.12.2010 06:07
ps3lvanub
Inactive

Look at the irony. 'AVG, Trusted by 90 million users' Not anymore.

46.12.2010 10:08

Hey how many times haz Norton screwed up and its still a sold at 50-100$ a year....

Sht happens they are still better than most. THo avast might be a bit better.

56.12.2010 10:31

Jacked on Windows Vista 32bit also,reformatted at put Microsoft Anti V on it.Nice one AVG

66.12.2010 10:35

So why can;t you go into safe mode and uninstall AVG?

76.12.2010 11:16

This also happened to me running XP 64. I knew that it was AVG, because it updated, and then asked me to restart, and when I did I got that stop error. Within the stop error it gave me the name of the dll that was missing, so I booted up with a live linux cd, fedora, and then searched my hd for the file name, found it, recopied to my windows/system32 folder, rebooted, and i was back at my desktop where I immediately uninstalled AVG 2011.

86.12.2010 12:49

We’re very sorry for the inconvenience. On December 2, AVG had an update issue. The problem affected Windows 7 users on 64-bit products. As soon as we were first notified about these issues, we immediately began fixing the problem. AVG is taking swift action on this matter. We remain committed to our customers, and, as such, we are taking the following actions:
1-Updates have been issued for both of these issues and are currently being propagated to the broad AVG user base.
2 -Please view the YouTube tutorial for the rescue procedure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fam3-KSfA3A
PAID CUSTOMERS: Support for System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD)
If you have encountered the above mentioned issue with the latest AVG update and FAQ 4079 didn’t help you, please contact our English support team by dialing the following numbers:
1-Home and Free customers: 24/7 support +1-877-367-9933
2-Business customers: 9:30am-6:30pm EST +1-828-459-5436 or skype:avg-nc
You can also email us at updateissuehelp@avg.com.
FREE CUSTOMERS: Support for System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD)
1-If you have encountered the above mentioned issue with the latest AVG update and FAQ 4080 didn’t help you, please contact our English support team by dialing the following number:
2-24/7 support: +1-877-367-9933
You can also email us at updateissuehelp@avg.com

AVG sincerely regrets any inconvenience this issue has caused and we are ready to help you resolve this as quickly as possible.

96.12.2010 17:57

Originally posted by AVGSupport:
We’re very sorry for the inconvenience. On December 2, AVG had an update issue. The problem affected Windows 7 users on 64-bit products. As soon as we were first notified about these issues, we immediately began fixing the problem. AVG is taking swift action on this matter. We remain committed to our customers, and, as such, we are taking the following actions:
1-Updates have been issued for both of these issues and are currently being propagated to the broad AVG user base.
2 -Please view the YouTube tutorial for the rescue procedure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fam3-KSfA3A
PAID CUSTOMERS: Support for System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD)
If you have encountered the above mentioned issue with the latest AVG update and FAQ 4079 didn’t help you, please contact our English support team by dialing the following numbers:
1-Home and Free customers: 24/7 support +1-877-367-9933
2-Business customers: 9:30am-6:30pm EST +1-828-459-5436 or skype:avg-nc
You can also email us at updateissuehelp@avg.com.
FREE CUSTOMERS: Support for System crash after the recent AVG 2011 update 3292 (BSOD)
1-If you have encountered the above mentioned issue with the latest AVG update and FAQ 4080 didn’t help you, please contact our English support team by dialing the following number:
2-24/7 support: +1-877-367-9933
You can also email us at updateissuehelp@avg.com

AVG sincerely regrets any inconvenience this issue has caused and we are ready to help you resolve this as quickly as possible.
Holy crap. Damage Control.

106.12.2010 17:59

AVG have slipped up badly with this. But at least they come on the forums and address the issue with it's clients, I don't see MS or Crapple doing that. AVG is free and I use it on my machines with no problems. Hope they fix it soon.

116.12.2010 19:24
adamryer
Inactive

The update didn't only effect AVG Free users. I use AVG Internet Security 2011 on my Win 7 Ultimate x64 laptop and I got the BSOD couldn't even boot into safe mode. Tried repairing Windows installation but no luck I was almost ready to re-install windows luckily I googled a bit more and found the fix which was pretty easy to apply. Had problems with my desktop too running paid version of AVG and Win 7 Home Premium x64 no blue screen but AVG was not working until they released a fix for it. I would say the response by AVG was pretty good. They were aware of the problems right away and made a decent effort to get the word out to users on how to repair their systems.

126.12.2010 21:05

While it is good to see that they are rectifying the issue, I'm surprised something like this was able to slip by.

136.12.2010 21:35

just cropped up suggests it's some more antitrust behaviour from M$ .. notice how it happened right after the latest "update tuesday"?

I install free rising av for the sad losers who can't see the light .. seems good..

147.12.2010 18:53

i guess i'm safe....for now

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive