AfterDawn: Tech news

L.A. anti-piracy task force seizes $4.06 million in pirated goods

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 22 Dec 2010 9:02 User comments (24)

L.A. anti-piracy task force seizes $4.06 million in pirated goods

Los Angeles' very own anti-piracy task force, under Operation Chimney Sweep, has arrested 10 people and seized over $4 million worth of pirated movies, music and counterfeit apparel.
L.A. city controller Wendy Greuel says the arrest and raids took place all throughout L.A. by "dozens of officers."

A number of trade group executives including Larry Hahn of the MPAA and Marcus Cohen of the RIAA were delighted by the news and thanked the LAPD for their "sustained commitments."

Adds Cohen (via THR):

"Their hard work has resulted in heightened consumer awareness, more criminals off the street, the implementation of meaningful new policies and -- during this holiday season and in this difficult economic time -- the preservation of many jobs of those in the creative community whose livelihoods are directly threatened by this theft. This historic holiday enforcement action sends a strong message to criminals that this kind of illegal activity won't be tolerated while raising a red flag for last-minute holiday shoppers."

To date, the task force has served "181 search warrants, made 498 arrests and seized $93.8 million worth of illegal goods" since being created in 2004.

If you combine the overall efforts of the LAPD, the task force and the L.A. County Sheriff's Department those numbers explode to 700 arrests and $305 million worth of counterfeit goods seized, notes Greuel.

Previous Next  

24 user comments

122.12.2010 21:09

Shouldn't the L.A. Anti-Piracy Task Force be cruising the coastline, on the lookout for Blackbeard and his ilk?

Meanwhile, how's that Mexican cartel border war workin' out for you all? No more cartel in East L.A.?

I guess it's nice to be able to choose your fights. That way you've less a chance of showing your ineptitude.

222.12.2010 22:29

This is beginning to get ridiculous...... Why the bloody hell is our Police more worried on fighting"Movie/Music Pirates" then catching the real criminals plus Hollywood is the true criminals trying to force our copyright system and ideals in other countries

322.12.2010 22:49

The RIAA, MPAA, or some other such organization probably paid for these officers...there is no way that an overburdened department like that of the LA Police would waste manpower on this.

423.12.2010 01:22

If these people were selling pirated content for personal gain I have no sympathy for them. However if they were simply downloaders or uploaders then it's a crock of shit. The article is a bit vague on exactly which is the case here but the title implies the former.

523.12.2010 13:31

I'm thinking the former as well. In which case I say job well done.

623.12.2010 18:10

Originally posted by hikaricor:
If these people were selling pirated content for personal gain I have no sympathy for them. However if they were simply downloaders or uploaders then it's a crock of shit. The article is a bit vague on exactly which is the case here but the title implies the former.
I agree with you completely. If the group of people had counterfeit electronics (i.e. iPods, DSis, etc.) then they deserve to be caught. Same thing goes if they were selling pirated materials such games and movies.

723.12.2010 23:51

I'm so relieved these mastermind criminals are finally caught and will be brought to justice! I'll sleep better tonight knowing that only serial killers, rapists, armed robbers, drug dealers, and the like are still roaming the streets. At least they aren't pirating movies, music, etc.!

824.12.2010 14:49

I don't care about people sharing & downloading, to me that is not 'pirating'.....and as the industry's current at or near record profit levels show doesn't actually hurt anyone.

However, people who make physical copies of other people's work to sell on deserve everything they get.
Especially those low-lifes that pirate things like car & motorcycle brake pads and flog supposedly brand-name stuff which is shoddy & downright dangerous.

I have to agree on the priority thing tho, since when did anyone amongst the general public ever ask their national Police or the local law enforcement to waste their limited resources on this sort of stuff.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Dec 2010 @ 2:51

924.12.2010 16:07

I think you can dedicate adequate resources to more than one aspect of law enforcement. The argument that serial killers are roaming free because some counterfeiters were arrested is a false dichotomy.

1024.12.2010 16:50

Originally posted by Azuran:
I think you can dedicate adequate resources to more than one aspect of law enforcement. The argument that serial killers are roaming free because some counterfeiters were arrested is a false dichotomy.
Give me a break! The statement wasn't meant to be that serious, it was to drive a point home that law enforcement has better things to do with taxpayer's money. I guess you couldn't figure that out.

1124.12.2010 17:08

Really? I completely disagree. I think law enforcement protecting property rights is an essential use of our taxes. But because it's the property of a corporation the situation has less clout? You give me a break.

1224.12.2010 19:03

Originally posted by Semperfipal:
I'm so relieved these mastermind criminals are finally caught and will be brought to justice! I'll sleep better tonight knowing that only serial killers, rapists, armed robbers, drug dealers, and the like are still roaming the streets. At least they aren't pirating movies, music, etc.!
LMAO!

1324.12.2010 23:00
We Know Better
Unverified new user

Denying the homeless a chance to support themselves...is that what the left wing nuts really want? As mentioned above, the CA cops don't want to risk their fat life time pensions chasing the real crimes of the illegals & drug cartels.

1425.12.2010 05:38

The Swap Meet gonna go bankrupt, dayum

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Dec 2010 @ 5:39

1525.12.2010 08:37

Really? I completely disagree. I think law enforcement protecting property rights is an essential use of our taxes. But because it's the property of a corporation the situation has less clout? You give me a break.
You sound like a corporate attorney, but I'll give you a break! Merry Xmas! But I still think it's a waste of government resources.

1625.12.2010 16:59

I personally do feel, also, that there are many more important things for local and federal law enforcement to focus on. Leave the intellectual property stuff for civil lawyers. After all, I can't call a cop when Sony bricks my PS3 cuz I modified it.....or can I.....

1725.12.2010 22:41

so i guess all is well in the world when the biggest threat in the U.S. is pirated movies music and games. for a second there i thought we had to worry about the douches in north korea and the war in iraq thast been goin on for goin on 8 years. lets not forget the ever popular "war on drugs" the same war that you see even some of the politicians that are fighting it snort it up themselves. but yes we have those "dangerous" movie pirates off the street. i dont know about the most of you but where im from movies aint cheap like they use to be and getting a bootleg here and there actually saved me a couple of bucks. the question really is who are the REAL criminals? could it be the entertainment industry. it amuses me that the economy is alwasy the focus when there is a bust. do they ever ask why the people that are selling them why? could it be times are tough for them too and this is the only way to make a quick buck? which is worst selling pirated movies or selling drugs out on the street? just a thought...

1826.12.2010 12:43

In the UK copyright breach is a civil offense, not a criminal one.

Selling shoddy dangerous goods (like counterfeit brake pads) as if they fully comply to the necessary minimum standards would be a criminal offense.

Basically bundling in the sharing of music or films on-line to that sort of thing is just window-dressing for the shallow of thinking.
A con.

Given that the overwhelming majority of sharing is for films & music from the already most well known and successful artists & studios it seems to me that going after sharers is not only a grotesque abuse of limited resources but in any event a proven case of an entirely ineffectual allocation of those limited resources.

There isn't a limitless amount of money for law enforcement and protecting the already most well off individuals and corporations who are not suffering in any credible way is ludicrous.

.....as are that industry's crazy ideas of copyright inperpetuity.
Talk about a threat to the creative process and a total refual to accept that all human progress is built on the shoulders of those that went before.

1926.12.2010 18:53

Originally posted by Tristan_2:
This is beginning to get ridiculous...... Why the bloody hell is our Police more worried on fighting"Movie/Music Pirates" then catching the real criminals plus Hollywood is the true criminals trying to force our copyright system and ideals in other countries
They do what they are told. Obama would not have been elected had it not been for the early media finical support.

2028.12.2010 07:49
shadyj
Inactive

Originally posted by Semperfipal:
You sound like a corporate attorney, but I'll give you a break! Merry Xmas! But I still think it's a waste of government resources.
He must be a corporate attorney or some other kind of "bad guy" since he doesn't share your viewpoint. What's the bad part of enforcing all the laws again?

2128.12.2010 16:07

I,ve heard this quite a bit lately...soon there will be upper class and lower class NO more middle class.

When it costs close to a hundred bucks for a family of 2 adults and 3 children to see a movie and buy a few treats at the local theatre... seriously do people really need any other reason to pirate or buy pirated stuff....?

2228.12.2010 17:26

Originally posted by Crazycro:
I,ve heard this quite a bit lately...soon there will be upper class and lower class NO more middle class.

When it costs close to a hundred bucks for a family of 2 adults and 3 children to see a movie and buy a few treats at the local theatre... seriously do people really need any other reason to pirate or buy pirated stuff....?
I admit the cost of this stuff is ridiculous but that's because we STILL buy it. I go to the theaters a handful of times each year. If it gets more expensive, I don't go.

That's like the imposed 30 day DVD release windows on Netflix and Redbox. Does Hollywood really think I'll pay BlockBuster $5 to rent or outright buy the movie for $20-30? WRONG! I'll just wait 30 days, I already waited how many months for it to come to DVD.

My point: these are wants, not needs. Patience goes a long way.

2328.12.2010 18:24

Originally posted by SProdigy:
Originally posted by Crazycro:

I admit the cost of this stuff is ridiculous but that's because we STILL buy it. I go to the theaters a handful of times each year. If it gets more expensive, I don't go.

That's like the imposed 30 day DVD release windows on Netflix and Redbox. Does Hollywood really think I'll pay BlockBuster $5 to rent or outright buy the movie for $20-30? WRONG! I'll just wait 30 days, I already waited how many months for it to come to DVD.

My point: these are wants, not needs. Patience goes a long way.
Very true... I want my kids to see those movies...:)

2422.1.2011 12:04
digiprop
Unverified new user

The shame of this whole situation is the application of outdated business approaches and practices being forced onto something as promising as the Internet. The future is here and the problem is not us sharing but these companies looking for absolute control and free reign. The medium has become so fluid there is no possible way to control it. Sharing is not to be looked at as stealing but as a form of free advertising. Many people do show support when something good comes along despite the long shadow cast by antiquated bullying businesses crying foul for simple greed.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive