1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walmart surveillance video codec SN40 trouble

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Gilligan8, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Gilligan8

Gilligan8 Member

I am looking to play back some surveillance video from a walmart security cam and GSpot says that it is SN40 and so does VLC. Gspot will go through all 3 steps and play it in the "test" window. But this is a 2 hour video that I need to sift through and GSpot isn't very practical.

Gpsot obviously says the codec is there but VLC will not play the video. It goes along like it's playing but there is no video (the file has no audio at all).

This is the case on several computers... anyone have any ideas?

I haven't tried in Linux yet but it certainly is an option for me.

This is VERY important video and I'd appreciate any help getting this going ASAP.

Thanks,
    Gilligan

2. attar

attar Senior member

Try WinFF - the portable version is good.
    I converted an AVI that had this codec ok.

Load the file.
    Convert to mp4.
    Preset, mp4 fullscreen and good luck.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/WinFF

3. Gilligan8

Gilligan8 Member

Nice util... I'm gonna pass this on to my wife as I think she can put it to some good use but it didn't work for this file. :(

4. Gilligan8

Gilligan8 Member

Ok... I even tried on a mac... I'm willing to give up $5 bucks to someone's paypal if someone can hook me up with a way to play it or a converted version in a "normal" codec.

I've put the file up on one of my servers:
    http://www.abnormaltshirts.com/sn40.avi

Please help.

5. attar

attar Senior member

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

ffmpeg might be able to help.. trouble is.. security cam systems generally use proprietary software applications to access the data .. so it's more likely you will need to get back to wallyworld to find out what they used to make the video, and then buy it... chances are it's full of drm type rubbish.. and very likely being proprietary it's not a "standard" implementation of the codec.. a typical trick is to swap the audio and video streams (yes.. even if there is no audio there will still be a stream location list for it)

linux and ffmpeg would be a best try attempt.. but be prepared to do a lot of searching and experimenting to find a way to convert it to a different format or something.. IF it's evidence, conversion or tampering with it in any way will make it inadmissable as evidence.. in which case just give it to the courts or lawyer and let them work it out.

7. Gilligan8

Gilligan8 Member

The thing is, is that gspot will render and play the video in it's built in little preview function.

Just vlc will only just say it's playing but render no video.

8. Gilligan8

Gilligan8 Member

Well, after reading around I gave VirtualDub a whirl and boom!

It was playing fine. So I found the part I needed and I'll just capture what I need in uncompressed.

Thanks, hopefully someone else will find this helpful!

9. BigGrrr

BigGrrr Member

OJOsoft Total Video Converter works on Wal-Mart SN40 surveillance video. I used version 2.6.2.0207

10. dickdeadly

dickdeadly Member

I tried that as soon as I read this and it didnt work. I then proceeded to install a bunch of video programs and codec packages. I tried it again later that evening, and it did work exactly as you said. But I dont know how to capture. File>export>raw video gave me a 16gb file with no extension which did not play on ordinary players.

So I save(d) as... an avi (yes, I know its already an avi), and was able to put THIS avi into WinFF to export as a fullscreen mp4.

I dont know which codec package did the trick, but I suspect the divx plus converter.

11. dickdeadly

dickdeadly Member

I tried that as soon as I read this and it didnt work. I then proceeded to install a bunch of video programs and codec packages, including Verint Video Solutions Codecs and Divx.

I tried VirtualDub again after downloading all those packages, and it did work exactly as you said. However, File>export>raw video gave me a 16gb file with no extension which did not play on ordinary players. I didn't (and still don't) know how to capture using VirtualDub.

So what I did was this: Save as... avi (yes, I know its already an avi). Then I was able to put the new avi into WinFF and export the file as a fullscreen mp4 (or MOV, or whatever you want it to be).

However, when I tried to burn to disc on a mac using Final Cut Pro, Compressor and DVD Studio Pro (in that order), the file did not work. I took the mov file that WinFF gave me, put it into Mpeg Streamclip, and created a mov using "export to quicktime > compression: Apple DV/DVCPRO - NTSC" I imported that file into FCP, then "Send to... compressor" then exported as a DVD and put that file into DVD Studio Pro.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  12. grouch2011

grouch2011 Member

I deal with their videos all the time. If you download the March Network viewer you can watch video from Walmart.