1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another WMV conversion question?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by mi32mi32, Mar 8, 2011.

1. mi32mi32

mi32mi32 Member

I have 27 wmv training video files the total space is 1.18GB I used dvd flick and favc and both said it wasnt possible to convert and burn to dvd do I need to shrink them or something? they are on my harddrive in a folder? What more can I do to get these to dvd so I can take them with me to play on my portable dvd player?

Thanks in advance
    Mi32mi32

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. attar

attar Senior member

Specifically, what was the message?

Is the total running time of these videos more than 2-3 hours?

If you try to convert a single file, does it work?

3. mi32mi32

mi32mi32 Member

first message is as follows:
    FAVC accepts a maximum of 8 video files when creating a menu. Menu creation has been disabled.

2nd message says Generally this problem occurs when the correct version of Avisynth in not installed (v2.56a or greater) or the corresponding codec in not installed.

Altenative approaches include creating avisynth script yourself and opening it in favc, or frameserving from virtualdub to favc.

Not sure on the total running time how do i find that out?

as for trying on file in favc it gives me the same error as above. as for dvd flick it begins encoding ..but with all the files it say in red impossible..and then dv-9

I am lost attar thank so much for you time and help

4. attar

attar Senior member

Setting FAVC to one side, I know that DVD Flick will create a menu with more than ten Titles (although the most I created was one with fifteen short videos).
    DVD Flick keeps a running total of the running time on the lower right of the window.
    The nominal capacity of a standard blank disk is 120 minutes of DVD video.
    If you start adding the titles (dragging them on one at a time) it may complain if you go over that time (note the percentage used, top left) - is this what is happening?

[​IMG]

5. mi32mi32

mi32mi32 Member

Attar I told you i was a newbie ,,,I just ran it again in dvd flick and put all 27 wmv files in there and it say a total of 18hours of video...the shortest legnth is 24mins on one video the longest is 58mins...combine 18hrs. so what do i do?

how do i get my dvdflick screen shot in this thread to show you what i have?

thanks

6. attar

attar Senior member

Why can't you use multiple disks instead of trying to get everything onto one?

If I was going to try this horrible task, I might set the target size as a DL disk.
    Then in Video, select a Target Bitrate of 2MB/s - in the Advanced section of Video, select Half Horizontal Resolution then see how much it would let me load up.

(of course you would have to buy some decent Verbatim DVD+R DL disks - assuming your portable will accept them).

Does your portable play DivX files?
    Probably easier to convert the files to XviD/DivX and see if they fit on a single DL.

7. attar

attar Senior member

Postimage.org
    Upload a jpeg and copy/paste the 'Hotlink for forums 1' link with your message.

8. mi32mi32

mi32mi32 Member

How do i know if my player takes divx files? also i dont object to putting them on more then one disk how is that done?

thanks again attar your great

9. attar

attar Senior member

There's often a sticker with 'DivX' on it or the manual will say.

Drag files into DVD Flick until it reaches 100% on the left.
    Since this is a portable with a small screen (?), you can get away with using a lower bitrate and half-horizontal resolution.
    The lower bitrate means lower quality, but it's not being blown up to a 50 inch screen, thus the defects are less apparent.

10. mi32mi32

mi32mi32 Member

I did as you instructed and i am at 96% but that is with a 4.3 dvd i dont have the larger one but the other settings are in there ....if i chose the lareger dvd setting in then it drops from 96 to 58....should i do this and will it still work on my 4.7 dvd?

11. attar

attar Senior member

You realize you are operating at the bleeding edge of what's viewable.

An alternative is to opt for a DL disk as the target - but of course, you don't burn a disk.
    Run DVD Shrink and load the output folder from DVD Flick and let DVD Shrink compress it even more to fit a standard disk.
    This will result in a further quality hit - then you decide if it's acceptable or not.

12. mi32mi32

mi32mi32 Member

Thanks for your help attar I am just going to make extra disk and break it up since it is a training video. So I can have better quality.

mi32mi32