AfterDawn: Tech news

AT&T adds bandwidth caps to DSL lines

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 14 Mar 2011 11:57 User comments (26)

AT&T adds bandwidth caps to DSL lines AT&T has confirmed today that it will be adding bandwidth caps to its DSL and U-Verse services.
DSL users will have a 150GB cap while U-Verse subscribers will have a 250GB cap.

Anyone who exceeds the limit three times will be charged $10 for every extra 50GB of data consumed.

The new policy goes into effect May 2nd for new and existing customers.

AT&T says it will send notifications when you reach 65 percent of the cap, 90 percent and finally when you hit the full cap. The company will also give all subscribers software to help them track their usage.

The caps will affect under 2 percent of users, says the ISP, subscribers who use "a disproportionate" amount of data and slow down networks for others.

Previous Next  

26 user comments

114.3.2011 12:19

O boy here we go another network provider thinking that they need to have bandwidth limits

214.3.2011 12:44

So I guess that means I have until July before I have to switch ISPs. The only thing that really annoys me about this is I just signed up with a Uverse Internet only package in December which included a $150 installation fee.

314.3.2011 12:51

Originally posted by Memnock:
So I guess that means I have until July before I have to switch ISPs. The only thing that really annoys me about this is I just signed up with a Uverse Internet only package in December which included a $150 installation fee.
Supposed to be free even if it was internet only because new customers get free installations and my sister has att uverse

414.3.2011 13:42

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
Originally posted by Memnock:
Supposed to be free even if it was internet only because new customers get free installations and my sister has att uverse

If you get the 18mb service it's not free. Only 12mb or lower is free when it you get internet only.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Mar 2011 @ 1:43

514.3.2011 13:59

Well, just got off the phone with AT&T Sales, Customer Service and Internet Technical Support. It appears that only Texas, Wisconsin, Kansas and Indiana are under the new cap. This appears to be either standard info, or actual fact as each department stated the same thing, even though the Tech side didn't really seem to know much, which is almost always the case anyway.

614.3.2011 18:05

At least that isn't as bad as what Bell Canada wanted to do. 25 GB cap and then $2/GB after that.

714.3.2011 19:27

Originally posted by snardos:
At least that isn't as bad as what Bell Canada wanted to do. 25 GB cap and then $2/GB after that.
thats just consumer robbery

814.3.2011 19:29

Quote:
snardos

that is just theft of the consumer plus the unexpected price increase if you go over your limit

914.3.2011 20:36

Quote:
The caps will affect under 2 percent of users, says the ISP, subscribers who use "a disproportionate" amount of data and slow down networks for others.
How can 2% of users greatly affect the other 98% that much to justify that statement?

This whole bandwidth cap crap on internet connections from ISPs and Cell providers is just an excuse IMO to charge more money. How can less fortunate countries with less money provide better internet than the US for cheaper and be more reliable? If your internet pipes cannot handle the load then clean out your pipes and quit advertising on how fast your network is.

1014.3.2011 20:51

AT&T has given me another reason to cut them off completely. As soon as my mobile contract is up I am cutting the cord along with DSL.

1115.3.2011 06:57

I just hope Verizon DSL won't start capping.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Mar 2011 @ 6:58

1215.3.2011 14:04

Pooh! I'm in Wisconsin, so I guess it's time to check & see what other deals are out there - like thru MilwaukeePC which is right down the street. (While I think even at my heaviest use I didn't use that much bandwidth, it's the principle of the thing...)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Mar 2011 @ 2:04

1315.3.2011 16:05

Originally posted by bobiroc:
Quote:
How can 2% of users greatly affect the other 98% that much to justify that statement?

This whole bandwidth cap crap on internet connections from ISPs and Cell providers is just an excuse IMO to charge more money. How can less fortunate countries with less money provide better internet than the US for cheaper and be more reliable? If your internet pipes cannot handle the load then clean out your pipes and quit advertising on how fast your network is.
I agree 100% !!!

1415.3.2011 16:17

AT&T SUCKS!!

1516.3.2011 15:27

I just got off the phone with tech support and YES ALL of AT & T customers are getting the cap.... for now just download the whole internet before the cap goes in effect :)

1616.3.2011 19:44
atomicxl
Inactive

I don't think I stream anywhere near 150 GB a month so I'm not too bothered by this. I stream about maybe... 8 or 9 shows per week but all of them are less than 500mb, which still adds up to way less than the more than 30gb a week the capped plan allows for.

I don't think my internet connection is fast enough for XBox Live to possibly take me over that 30gb limit each week even if I somehow was able to play online 24/7.

1717.3.2011 20:14

I really don't know what the bog screaming deal is here. If less than 5% of customers use 50% of bandwidth, then most people indeed have nothing to worry about. This model is common in Australia and Europe.

1817.3.2011 20:26

Quote:

H0bbes

I really don't know what the bog screaming deal is here. If less than 5% of customers use 50% of bandwidth, then most people indeed have nothing to worry about. This model is common in Australia and Europe.

Because the service they are selling us started out as unlimited, and most people like the fact that the service is unlimited and dont want it to change

1917.3.2011 20:30

I wrote a massive rant about how much AT&T sucks, but decided not to post it. The people that need to read it don't frequent these sites and now I'm feeling even more angry about these fake fothermucking usage caps.

KISS MY ASS AT&T! YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS THAT I PREFER NETFLIX FOR $7.99/MONTH "STREAMING ONLY" OVER YOUR SEIZURE INDUCING COMMERCIAL TELEVISION FOR WAY TOO MUCH, THAT GIVES SO LITTLE!

2018.3.2011 01:42

The sad thing about this is I can't seem to find anything about this cap on AT&T's website. What's that about?

2118.3.2011 10:43

Originally posted by baxter00:
The sad thing about this is I can't seem to find anything about this cap on AT&T's website. What's that about?
Of course they aren't going to announce it on the website. The caps aren't in effect yet. So why announce them to scare off potential new subscribers?

2218.3.2011 14:25

They are ALL going to cap. Just get ready. This sucks for us who like to get 360 games (almost 7 GB a pop).

The reason is simple: Google, Yahoo!, Netflix and other big companies free-rode an already set up (and continuing construction) infrastructure (all those coax lines, copper lines, fiber optic lines, etc; this is how the companies see it). So the cost of not being able to be the front for television any more is being passed to the consumer by limiting bandwidth and charging for overage.

The companies simply are not making the money to invest in more infrastructure (which we need, especially in the US)? That I do not know but I certainly do not think that all of us heavy users (often BitTorrent) are killing the experience for light-weight users.

If you don't like the cap, buy business service if you can. Comcast Business has no cap (but it's considerably more expensive if you want TV and phone included). Charter Business has no cap either AFAIK. These companies would risk far too much and will have no money if they start limiting business bandwidth.

232.5.2011 18:31

F... AT&T!! I can't wait for Google fiber!

242.5.2011 19:10

Originally posted by tatsh:
They are ALL going to cap. Just get ready. This sucks for us who like to get 360 games (almost 7 GB a pop).
Be honest though, do you really need 20 new 360 games per month?

252.5.2011 19:37

Originally posted by Skiz:
F... AT&T!! I can't wait for Google fiber!
Yes so they can track everything you do on that too just like they do with Google.com, Gmail, Google TV, etc... Remember Google does nothing for the person unless they can get something out of it too and they want your internet habits so they can market advertisements to you.

262.5.2011 19:41

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Originally posted by tatsh:
Be honest though, do you really need 20 new 360 games per month?

It has been stated that these bandwidth caps affect very little people. Don't get me wrong I do not like the fact that they get away with it either because I know it is done for greed and to find ways to charge every nickle they can out of a person but I find that even though I download quite a bit, stream a lot of Netflix, and play games online I have never gotten to that cap. The same goes for my mobile internet and cell phone minutes.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive