AfterDawn: Tech news

'Rocksmith' will teach gamers how to really play guitar

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 18 Mar 2011 12:39 User comments (72)

'Rocksmith' will teach gamers how to really play guitar Following the decline in sales for music and rhythm games like 'Guitar Hero' and 'Rock Band,' Ubisoft has announced the launch of its first ever "authentic guitar game," dubbed Rocksmith.
Rocksmith will be available for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC and will allow gamers to plug in their real electric guitar and learn how to play via the game.

The gameplay will adjust automatically to match a player's skill level (beginner to expert) and the developer says music reading will be "visually fun and intuitive."

It is unclear what the full launch catalog will be but there will be music from The Animals, The Black Keys, David Bowie, Interpol, Nirvana and The Rolling Stones.

Adds Ubi (via PCW)

Rocksmith is the most authentic and addictive music game ever created. Whether a beginner or a seasoned guitarist, players can progress at their own speed and walk away from the game with the ability to play songs by memory. Rocksmith is the only video game that gets players stage-ready.

Previous Next  

72 user comments

118.3.2011 12:42

Wow I just don't see this selling much...

218.3.2011 14:04

BS, I've been playing the Bass, guitar and piano for 45 years.
There are no shortcuts to playing REAL instruments.
It takes time and dedication.
When people ask me what electric guitar I should buy.
No, by a cheap acoustic guitar. 99% of people give it up because it is so complicated to learn how to play music.
The instrument usually ends up in the closet with all the stupidly purchased work out equipment.
Jeff

318.3.2011 14:48

This might sell...but I'd really hate seeing guitarists pop up everywhere...we have enough of them anyway, beginners, pros and everything in between...this game might make a pro out of anyone with access to an xbox or a ps3...but,as guitarists, we feel really special that we do stuff that not many others do(yes, I'm aware that there are millions of guitarists out there but it really isn't much compared to the world's non-guitar-playing population)...but thanks to rocksmith, all us guitarists...we're all screwed...big time!

418.3.2011 14:59

Originally posted by oivas:
This might sell...but I'd really hate seeing guitarists pop up everywhere...we have enough of them anyway, beginners, pros and everything in between...this game might make a pro out of anyone with access to an xbox or a ps3...but,as guitarists, we feel really special that we do stuff that not many others do(yes, I'm aware that there are millions of guitarists out there but it really isn't much compared to the world's non-guitar-playing population)...but thanks to rocksmith, all us guitarists...we're all screwed...big time!
Well guy, really talented musicians are far and few in between.
10x10+6 waanabes does not represent the amount of true musicians

It takes hours, days, years to master your instrument.
Jeff

518.3.2011 19:11

Originally posted by seanramon:
Great game!
Today it is easier than ever to learn to play (real) guitar, with great online resources available. As a guitar teacher, I can recommend the courses reviewed here.
edited by ddp

BS you must have vested interest in the game you said, "Game" Not real life in any way shape or form.
Good luck with that
Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Mar 2011 @ 3:09

618.3.2011 22:50

Not all guitarists are screwed, only the generic no-talent kind that can easily be replaced by someone who has played a video game for a few hours...and if you know any people who fit that description, then they either need to practice using the video game, or quit torturing their audiences with their poor performance.

I would think that real guitarists would welcome this...it is a video game that uses your favorite controls, and everyone else will take years to catch up. Plus, there will probably be online high score tables; so you can prove that you are better at doing everything than everyone else (or maybe so you can be shamed for your bad playing, it is all up to you).

One thing that they need to do is to create a multisystem lobby for this game...360 and PS3 users should be able to meet up and play together, and if there is a PC version, then that should share the same lobby.

718.3.2011 23:53

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Not all guitarists are screwed, only the generic no-talent kind that can easily be replaced by someone who has played a video game for a few hours...and if you know any people who fit that description, then they either need to practice using the video game, or quit torturing their audiences with their poor performance.

I would think that real guitarists would welcome this...it is a video game that uses your favorite controls, and everyone else will take years to catch up. Plus, there will probably be online high score tables; so you can prove that you are better at doing everything than everyone else (or maybe so you can be shamed for your bad playing, it is all up to you).

One thing that they need to do is to create a multisystem lobby for this game...360 and PS3 users should be able to meet up and play together, and if there is a PC version, then that should share the same lobby.
Not so sure about that.
I still jam with my buddy Tony. We both started playing in bands since 1965.
First song I learned..... House of the rising sun.
It would be nice if there were more dedicated musicians. But they're too busy playing with the Xboxes and Playstations. Wonder if they ever get any excersize.
Maybe Sony or Microsoft will come out with software that will pay the person with the most pair shaped body award.
Jeff

819.3.2011 00:18

Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:

Not so sure about that.
It would be nice if there were more dedicated musicians. But they're too busy playing with the Xboxes and Playstations. Wonder if they ever get any excersize.
Maybe Sony or Microsoft will come out with software that will pay the person with the most pair shaped body award.
Jeff
Damn Jeff, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? To flame and insult every comment made here is extremely immature. Are you scared that people might have fun playing this and learning how to play a guitar? Scared they may overtake your skills via technology-based teaching? Grow up old man.

919.3.2011 00:28

Originally posted by goose7919:

Not so sure about that.
Jeff
Damn Jeff, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? To flame and insult every comment made here is extremely immature. Are you scared that people might have fun playing this and learning how to play a guitar? Scared they may overtake your skills via technology-based teaching? Grow up old man.
I'm sorry, I just speak my peace. No insults, just the truth.
I must be an immature 56 year old I guess.
Just trying to state facts. Sorry it burned your underwear.
Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Mar 2011 @ 12:29

1019.3.2011 01:27

@Jeff- Yes it takes years to truly master any instrument. I don't see why your undies are in flames. Instead of encouraging and pointing in the right direction you degrade anything new. I haven't seen this "game" first hand and I bet you haven't either. Maybe it teaches the basics, maybe not? But before climbing on a soapbox maybe you ought to give it a chance instead of being an old 56. And before you say it yes I do play, several instruments as a matter of fact. If you truly love music then you encourage those around you who want to learn. Now if you think what this 42 year old said was harsh or incorrect by all means flame away.

1119.3.2011 01:28

BS, I've been playing the Bass, guitar and piano for 45 years.
There are no shortcuts to playing REAL instruments.
It takes time and dedication.
When people ask me what electric guitar I should buy.
No, by a cheap acoustic guitar. 99% of people give it up because it is so complicated to learn how to play music.
The instrument usually ends up in the closet with all the stupidly purchased work out equipment.
Jeff
That is very true. I don't put it in the closet though to encourage playing
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Mar 2011 @ 1:33

1219.3.2011 01:50

Originally posted by Blackjax:
@Jeff- Yes it takes years to truly master any instrument. I don't see why your undies are in flames. Instead of encouraging and pointing in the right direction you degrade anything new. I haven't seen this "game" first hand and I bet you haven't either. Maybe it teaches the basics, maybe not? But before climbing on a soapbox maybe you ought to give it a chance instead of being an old 56. And before you say it yes I do play, several instruments as a matter of fact. If you truly love music then you encourage those around you who want to learn. Now if you think what this 42 year old said was harsh or incorrect by all means flame away.
Well bud, pointing somebody in the right direction has nothing to do with computer generated BS.
Let's just stop the flame wars. You do what you need to do.
Any professional musician will tell you to pick-up the real deal.
I just happened to get my engineering degree instead of hoping I'd become a rock start. Music is just a back-up for real life.
1 out of 60k people make it in the music world.
Jeff

1319.3.2011 01:51

Originally posted by Blackjax:
Well bud, pointing somebody in the right direction has nothing to do with computer generated BS.
Let's just stop the flame wars. You do what you need to do.
I just happened to got my engineering degree in electronics instead of hoping I'd become a rock start. Music is just a back-up for real life.
1 out of 60k people make it in the music world.
Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Mar 2011 @ 1:52

1419.3.2011 02:01

And got the negative quick shot reply I expected. Degree or not you don't read too carefully and seem to take offense to anyone's opinion that differs from yours. Hence the reason for the last sentence in my post.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Mar 2011 @ 2:12

1519.3.2011 02:22

Opinion or discussion?

Hey, guy do what you what to.
Trying to decipher my posts is nutty.
I'm not changing my stand on musical issues.
Either shit or get off the pot.
Jeff

1619.3.2011 02:42

Are people really fighting over this?? No one here has played this game, or even seen a working demo so all of your judgement of the game are irrelevant and asinine.

NO ONE should judge anyone for trying to learn an instrument, whether its via their PlayStation or not.

1719.3.2011 06:00

From the description, this is exactly that...no more fake guitar controllers; you can use the guitars from a music store now. I doubt any professional musician would tell you that you can only practice with it plugged into certain equipment.

We don't really know what this game will be, but it will probably teach the basics, and it will probably force you to learn to play faster, and it might force you to learn a little bit of rhythm. Heck, it might be a full-on guitar institute on a disk...to the point that even someone like Eric Clapton could get at least a little value from it. After all, professional race car drivers get at least a little value from racing simulators.

If you are threatened by this, then maybe you should just buy the game...if it can make someone a good guitar player without the 4 years of intensive practice that is normally required to grow the extra nerves to the hands, then just think what it can do for people who already have said nerves.

Just to be 100% clear, I always though that the button guitar games were total BS...I played one time in a 7-11 parking lot, and never felt the desire to play again. I don't think I would like this game, but at least it does not seem to be a complete waste of time.

1819.3.2011 12:06

From what I saw, it looks to be a real life guitar. Jeff you are right, it does take a lot of practice and work to be extremely proficient in guitar playing. However with a 4yo and a schedule that my wife and I have, it is not always practical to drive somewhere and learn. If I can learn at home and spend time and have fun with my kid, then I would buy it. I do not think I will be ever as good as someone that plays in a band for money. I am looking at this as an opportunity as stress relief for me and being able to express my self through an instrument is not a bad thing. I like the guitar, but never had the time to learn.

1919.3.2011 12:44

Originally posted by molsen:
From what I saw, it looks to be a real life guitar. Jeff you are right, it does take a lot of practice and work to be extremely proficient in guitar playing. However with a 4yo and a schedule that my wife and I have, it is not always practical to drive somewhere and learn. If I can learn at home and spend time and have fun with my kid, then I would buy it. I do not think I will be ever as good as someone that plays in a band for money. I am looking at this as an opportunity as stress relief for me and being able to express my self through an instrument is not a bad thing. I like the guitar, but never had the time to learn.
I can live with that.
I give guitar lessons for free just as long the student plays a real instrument.
...And the staff member on this forum is right. Unless there is a pirated version available nobody knows what the software is really like Except for inside employees in the know.

2019.3.2011 13:41

Actually, that's incorrect, Jeffrey_P; the article clearly states that you can plug ANY electric guitar into the game. So your fears re: a "fake" instrument are unfounded.

This game is no worse than any learn-rhythm-guitar-by-the-numbers book and is bound to be much more fun and engaging, to boot. In my opinion, anyone decrying it for allowing more people to learn to play the guitar should first explain how THEY learned it. Most will have to admit they did NOT go to a professional teacher at the beginning, but simply acquired a book or audiotape guitar lesson, and they learned from that they had talent for, or at least a love of the guitar.

Any concerns about the hoi polloi getting access to playing any instrument at all are quite suspiciously elitist in tone to me, and I have absolutely no time for them. They didn't invent the instrument themselves, now did they? NO? Then they don't own or control it. And if someone does somehow become a guitar genius via this method, whether by chance, talent, determination, or divine intervention, that's just the way it is, and good for them!

Edit --> I are spellses good, ya! =p

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Mar 2011 @ 1:47

2119.3.2011 13:52

Good man you are.
When I first started playing the git, I would go to a local music store and pick up an LP or 45 learning songs note for note.
Remember LP's? Hahahaha.
Jeff

2219.3.2011 14:41

I am so getting this game & here's why "it's a newbie wannabe guitarist to rock legend in under 24hrs" :p can't wait to piss the neighbors off,yeah ok it makes me wonder why they didn't do this from the outset with the original instrument games

@Bozobub
You were doing ok up till this point & clearly lost it :p

2319.3.2011 14:46

That was just the reason for my edit... lol

2419.3.2011 15:43

Originally posted by scorpNZ:
I am so getting this game & here's why "it's a newbie wannabe guitarist to rock legend in under 24hrs" :p can't wait to piss the neighbors off,yeah ok it makes me wonder why they didn't do this from the outset with the original instrument games

@Bozobub
You were doing ok up till this point & clearly lost it :p

That's why I play an acoustic guitar most of the time where I live. Two 100w Marshall amps are too much LoL!
I have two Marshall's because my Ric 360D-12 75th anniversary model has, "Rico-sound" which is stereo. Really the only way to get that old school sound.
Actually a miked 50w is more than enough.
Jeff

2519.3.2011 17:56

One things for sure assuming they get it right it will be an excellent teaching aid for music teachers chances are that's where it will be big on sales,we really need to see a better video that one shows nothing

2620.3.2011 07:43

One things for sure assuming they get it right it will be an excellent teaching aid for music teachers chances are that's where it will be big on sales,we really need to see a better video that one shows nothing
I am sure that music teachers will be against this...$60 for unlimited 1-on-1 tutoring makes $10 per class twice a week for 4 years seem rather expensive, especially since such a class would not be 1-on-1.

Come to think of it, some of the people that are complaining about how this program will make them worth less might be said teachers. I can see how they would feel threatened.

2720.3.2011 08:24

I am sure that music teachers will be against this...$60 for unlimited 1-on-1 tutoring makes $10 per class twice a week for 4 years seem rather expensive, especially since such a class would not be 1-on-1.

Come to think of it, some of the people that are complaining about how this program will make them worth less might be said teachers. I can see how they would feel threatened.
I give free guitar lessons.
Son of a buddy of mine pays his mortgage by teaching drums.
He can be a little overpriced.
But like I said free guitar lessons to kids who can't afford to pay the price for one hour sessions.
And... fix their wounded guitars. Can a $60.00 program do that?
Jeff

2820.3.2011 19:25

I am trying to learn the guitar again it would be nice if their were more inbweteen stuff like this to help give us something other than dirty looks from our teachers :P

2920.3.2011 19:37

Not all teachers are like that. Teachers must have patients.
Some teachers because they already know how to play can't figure out why the student can't get it at first. If that's the case you just find a new teacher.
Believe me, teaching kids is no walk in the park. But it's cool when they start getting the hang of things. Makes me proud!

Picture of me playing my black Les Paul at the Pioneer bar and saloon in Woodside California. My youngest daughter took the pic with an old cell. Quality isn't all that hot.
Jeff

Jeff

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Mar 2011 @ 1:18

3021.3.2011 10:12

the thing everyone should be thinking about is the interface.. will it plug into the guitar or off your amp look the idea that playing rockband isn't really playing on your own is shared bye all, but if you want to piss in someones cornflakes then tell someone who plays the guitar that you can wipe them across the floor in a battle of the game system ,and do it... well that will send them off in a rant for days .. but let them hand you a real guitar and forget it. game controllers are made for the masses to enjoy (hence they have little colored keys to push)and as well,we all know "those who can do,and those who cant teach... " now that line is 'ment to piss off some others will laugh because they know the truth it takes a person with education to show others how not to do it wrongly in the first place... so guess what you need the teachers and lets hope they will be here to show others how its done.... later all have fun remember its a game

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Mar 2011 @ 10:17

3121.3.2011 10:38

Not all teachers are like that. Teachers must have patients.
Some teachers because they already know how to play can't figure out why the student can't get it at first. If that's the case you just find a new teacher.
Believe me, teaching kids is no walk in the park. But it's cool when they start getting the hang of things. Makes me proud!

Picture of me playing my black Les Paul at the Pioneer bar and saloon in Woodside California. My youngest daughter took the pic with an old cell. Quality isn't all that hot.
Jeff

Jeff
Humor sir, humor. ^_~

3221.3.2011 20:47

As a guitarist, this game really excites me. A fun new way to learn new songs, and perhaps hone my skills playing styles of music I wouldn't normally. I do see this game attracting a large crowd to begin with, but I doubt it will have a sequel, for the simple fact that most people don't know how much work and dedication an instrument actually takes until they begin learning themselves. Some pretentious guitarists will shun this game for the crowd it will undoubtably attract, the vast majority of customers will find it too difficult and give it up, but there is a group of musicians, like myself, that will see the benefit of the product will provide. All of this is based on the fact that they do the game right; like they're advertising.

Nothing, not a game, a teacher, or a book can teach style. They can teach you how to play a song, or how to string chords together, but style and technique are learned over a long period of studying and learning the feel of an intrument. Nuff said.

3321.3.2011 21:35

Originally posted by Seth_C:
As a guitarist, this game really excites me. A fun new way to learn new songs, and perhaps hone my skills playing styles of music I wouldn't normally. I do see this game attracting a large crowd to begin with, but I doubt it will have a sequel, for the simple fact that most people don't know how much work and dedication an instrument actually takes until they begin learning themselves. Some pretentious guitarists will shun this game for the crowd it will undoubtably attract, the vast majority of customers will find it too difficult and give it up, but there is a group of musicians, like myself, that will see the benefit of the product will provide. All of this is based on the fact that they do the game right; like they're advertising.

Nothing, not a game, a teacher, or a book can teach style. They can teach you how to play a song, or how to string chords together, but style and technique are learned over a long period of studying and learning the feel of an intrument. Nuff said.
Ya anythign can teach you the ABCs beyond that you either need dedication or skill, I am still learning >< but I am happy to have the chance again.

3421.3.2011 22:23
Jilawless
Unverified new user

Considering that funding for music in school has about dried up. I think anything that gets kids excited about making music is a good thing. Not sure how good this game will be but I think it's an improvement over games that pretend to play music. The one thing I know about the internet is everyone with an negative opinion just has to spout it. A lot of these people say they haven't even played the game yet the are able to bash it. Sad. I hope this game is a success and brings more people to the joy of making music.

3522.3.2011 23:05
dawndew
Inactive

As a guitar teacher I do see this as a game that is making learning guitar more popular. Today it is easier than ever to learn to play guitar with some great online resources. Recommended courses are reviewed, e.g, at
http://musicalinstruments.topwebreview.com

3623.3.2011 00:47

Originally posted by Jilawless:
Considering that funding for music in school has about dried up. I think anything that gets kids excited about making music is a good thing. Not sure how good this game will be but I think it's an improvement over games that pretend to play music. The one thing I know about the internet is everyone with an negative opinion just has to spout it. A lot of these people say they haven't even played the game yet the are able to bash it. Sad. I hope this game is a success and brings more people to the joy of making music.
What you said.
I remember having a music department even in grammar school where most instruments were available to be checked-out for a semester. Also, we had welding and wood-shop classes. Now it's jewelry classes.. Arggghhh..

These days, kids parents have to purchase items I used to take for granted.
A bit painful
Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Mar 2011 @ 12:50

3723.3.2011 00:57

Originally posted by dawndew:
As a guitar teacher I do see this as a game that is making learning guitar more popular. Today it is easier than ever to learn to play guitar with some great online resources. Recommended courses are reviewed, e.g, at
http://musicalinstruments.topwebreview.com

Sore fingers, hahahaha.. Not after you build up calluses.
Yeah I agree but still believe there is no substitute for one-on-one sessions.

This thread rocks so-to-speak.
Jeff

3823.3.2011 19:29
BrownMessiah
Unverified new user

I think this game has potential. There are 2 sides to each coin. on one side you have a way for people who dont know how to play pickin up an axe and hammerin it out for hours on end and come out a fairly decent player after he is done. now that is BS because there are people like Mr. Jeff who have played for years and years on end to become as good they are just to have a ubisoft just spit in their face. yeah that is a little messed up. on the other hand, this game is pretty sick if you think of it in terms of gaming evolution and practical applications. how long has it been since pong came out? 30 MAYBE 40 years? that is nuts! to go from a computer tenis game to a gaming system that utilizes a camera to make it so your body is the controler? (xbox kenict). Video gaming has come a long way and i think this game just shows how crazy technology is getting these days. I will admit i dont play guitar. i used to play a little but i gave it up because i didnt have the patience. i regret that decision every day and now i dont have the money to get a guitar so i can re-learn. but if this game can deliver all that it says it can then people like me who have stopped and want to play again have the means to get back into it. not only that but it gives a chance for kids who want to play a way to learn and not break the bank on their parents. instead of spending money on lessons every month they can make a 59.99 purchase (that is if it follows as most game pricing is now days) get them something basic and sit them down in the living room. its that easy. and its not like its not going to have limitations. the best part of music is that you can do whatever it is that you want with it! after a while players are gonna wanna go out and make their own music and do what they want. this game just gives them the means to get started. this game has the potential to be extremely dope!

3923.3.2011 19:51
cochinosanchez
Unverified new user

Guys, I fully agree with the whole "it takes years to learn the instrument". that much is definitely true. But what the game promises is that it will make learning more fun, encouraging the player to keep learning. i think it will sell great.

4024.3.2011 00:35
thisux
Unverified new user

this is cool and everything, but jeffs right, i started playing guitar 1 year ago and ive gotten way better, i play alot of metal and its something my friends cant do. this will just get everyone to play guitar and take away from our few minutes of fame

4124.3.2011 15:08
MofoMan2000
Unverified new user

Hah, Ubi Soft is a little late to the show, the Rock Band series (strangely mentioned in the article) has had players learning real guitar parts to songs for about five months, and they have had a real electric guitar usable in the game for a month now. Whoever wrote this article obviously didn't do any research and many of the claims are completely false. They are not the first, and it isn't the only game which will teach you to play songs from memory. Rock Band does this through Pro Mode. Look it up.

4224.3.2011 20:54

First let me start by saying I've been playin guitar for many years now.Guitar Hero and Rockband are fun for kids but this RockSmith game goes way beyond that.I have played a demo of it and its a great way for anyone to learn to play a real guitar.I was amazed at how I thought I was ok on some songs I knew and was way oss,but the game kept taling me back to that certain part of the song i was messing up on and I finally got it right.I I.M.O.P think any game that teaches a child,adult or anyone to play an instrument is wonderful and yes this game does teach you!!I am self taught on my guitar and have played with a lot of people,My fathers been playin fo over 45 years and he is amazed at how Ive self taught myself to play. Am I the best No,But a game like this brings music to those who want to learn it, and to people like me who want to use it to have fun and learn at the same time.It really is an amazing game. Im so glad someone came up with the tech to do something like this.And to (Mr. Jeff P.) You should be supportive of this game..It allows anyone who ever wanted to learn guitar and cant afford a lesson 2or3 times a week a chance to learn everyday with just the purchase of this game and a simple first act $25 used guitar. A game that teaches scales,chords,single notes,Strum patterns and how to read music is a game every gutarist should stand behind.Its not a face to face teacher,but it is a teacher in all other respects,and for one set price. Teachers prices add up every week or as many times as you go a week.As soon as it hits shelves I will buy it just for the fun factor and learning it can teach me, and Im really not that bad of a player(self taught)Guitar to learn for anyone who wants to learn to play is how I see it.We should be backing this game not tearing it down.If anyone wants to learn to play guitar anyone has the right to learn to play anyway they want even if its a game that push's you harder then a teacher and forgive you and dont get frustrated with you like some teachers do or have bad days like some teachers do!! If anything I forsee them getting a lot more students wanting to learn just because of this game.(Mr. Jeff) I just dont see why you dont like the Idea of it???? Its good for music and good for us guitar players cause it puts us back out there instead of that synthesized shit which people think is real music.Get if ya can people it is well worth it and one hell of a fun game to play.

4331.3.2011 22:32

Nice flamage early on.

4431.3.2011 22:39

Im interested in checking out this software on PC. I do think it'll help beginners, and Im totally for "self-taught" with help. A Mel Bay book taught me to play in 1972, and if I get out to Cali, I'd love to cut heads with ya JeffP.

451.6.2011 19:16
papa C
Unverified new user

Not so sure about that.
Jeff
You sir are an idiot, you can't even spell exercise or pear right.

461.6.2011 19:30

Originally posted by papa C:

Not so sure about that.
Jeff
You sir are an idiot, you can't even spell exercise or pear right.
Oh thanks grammar queen.
Middle finger to you.

471.6.2011 20:08

+1
either add something constructive or quit trolling

485.6.2011 13:21
alluvit
Unverified new user

This game will doubtless be teaching fingerings and picking techniques but to begin to think that it could substitute for a teacher and individualized lessons teaching form and efficiency (especially with blues and metal) is FAR from the mark.

I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time because if a kids sitting in front of a TV PRETENDING to play guitar, he's wasting time, if he's ACTUALLY playing one, in conjunction with regular sessions with an effective teacher than I call that a good thing.

Lots of kids are going to be disappointed, however, with the lack of instant gratification that comes with hav ing to actually TRAIN themselves to play. Just because theres a video game to teach you won't make the process any faster.

10,000 hours with your craft is the minimum for mastery.

495.6.2011 16:00

From novice to expert hard to say what that's supposed to mean either way AC/DC,Black Sabbath,Pink Floyd as well as Led Zep better be on there

5016.6.2011 14:12
Nickunicyk
Unverified new user

i really don't understand why the "real" guitarists are offended.
Do you really think putting your finger at the right fret on the right time is the only thing to learn?

5116.6.2011 14:28

Since you do not play the real deal you have no clue.
I've said this time and time again.. To be a real musician there's no shortcuts.

Doesn't matter what instrument you play or want to play.. You have to shut off people who do not have a need to play. and practice everyday for hours a day. Do you understand what I'm try to say?
Bottom line guy.
If you're just doing music to amuse yourself pick-up a Ukelele as far as I'm concerned. Do not expect to be a real musician if you want to press buttons and call yourself a musician. That's not the way it works.
Jeff

5218.6.2011 04:53

Rocksmith is not meant to be a "miracle method" for learning guitar; but a learning tool. The game isnt going to be a musician factory, but it will teach some people the basics, and give some people the spark neccesary to set them on the path of a life of music. Yes, this will be a much easier way to learn than was available 30 years ago, but the fact that its easier doesnt make it wrong. I am a guitarist, but im also excited about a "game" that will allow me to expand on my skills, improve on my weaknesses, and open me up to styles im not used to. A true musician should be excited about a way to get more people to experience the love of music that we have. They shouldnt be chastising people that want to try.

531.8.2011 19:21

Originally posted by dEwMe:
Wow I just don't see this selling much...

Yea right this will sell awesomely I am sure of it

544.8.2011 00:12
Serious Beast
Unverified new user

Well guy, really talented musicians are far and few in between.
10x10+6 waanabes does not represent the amount of true musicians

It takes hours, days, years to master your instrument.
Jeff
HAHA! Jeff your just pissed because technology is going to allow people to learn faster than what you had to go through! Sorry dude that's just the way it is... Get with the times ;P

5517.8.2011 13:47
OneMeanDragon
Unverified new user

Just another game that dosent support Bass Guitar like the last RB, I personally wont buy this game either.

5617.8.2011 14:42

"HAHA! Jeff your just pissed because technology is going to allow people to learn faster than what you had to go through! Sorry dude that's just the way it is... Get with the times ;P"

Believe what you want to. It takes time and dedication to become a REAL musician. Whether it may be classical, Jazz, funk, Soul or Rock and Roll. Reading music is essential in becoming an accomplished musician. No short cuts like kids try to take today.

Jeff

5721.10.2011 04:39
fatherrock
Unverified new user

The difference between GH/RB/power gig and rocksmith given a few
years of game play.

would be like having a kid say..look at my high score on
(fill in some skateboard game) and having the second kid
take the first kid outside and do all his in game tricks
on a real skateboard.

There used to be only 1 choice...pretend to play guitar on the
xbox. Now there is 2... pretend, or learn for real.

Folks can choose what they want, good reasons either way.
But, you really cant compare them, they are 2 completely
different kinds of things.

588.11.2011 22:48
laughingatidiots
Unverified new user

Not so sure about that.
Jeff
If you are going to try and be condescending to people maybe you should learn to spell!!! exercise and I think you mean PEAR shaped bodies

599.11.2011 00:25

You're a little late pal.

Even a genius like you can make a mistake.

Jeff

6014.11.2011 00:34
ramzeee68
Unverified new user

If anyone HAS used this, can you give me insight? My girlfriend wants to learn how to play but we don't have the money for weekly lessons and thought this might be an interesting alternative (not to mention cost effective). Thanks!

6114.11.2011 04:56

Free online lessons tailored for beginners.
http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

Important things need to be learned that using a smartphone with a phoney neck can't teach you.

Jeff

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Nov 2011 @ 5:03

6218.11.2011 14:07

Rocksmith = You plug your own "real" guitar into the XBOX. Thus, its not "pushing buttons". It is a game. It is not the "end all" for teaching guitar. Nobody ever said it was "the answer" for teaching guitar. At least it isnt yet. Not to say that someday there may be more sophisticated software which CAN do it all. But for now, it is a game that may help jump-start interest in playing the guitar. Its all good for everyone. Peace be with you... I hope.

6318.11.2011 15:33

NO! Don't give in to the temptation! This zombie thread only wants....."Braaaainzzz!" *shamble, shamble, GRAB!, gnawgnawgnaw...**

6418.11.2011 19:13

"NO! Don't give in to the temptation! This zombie thread only wants....."Braaaainzzz!" *shamble, shamble, GRAB!, gnawgnawgnaw...**"

Hahahah,what?
Maybe English is your second language.. ;)

Jeff

6518.11.2011 19:18

"Rocksmith = You plug your own "real" guitar into the XBOX. Thus, its not "pushing buttons". It is a game. It is not the "end all" for teaching guitar. Nobody ever said it was "the answer" for teaching guitar. At least it isnt yet. Not to say that someday there may be more sophisticated software which CAN do it all. But for now, it is a game that may help jump-start interest in playing the guitar. Its all good for everyone. Peace be with you... I hope."

Hopefully when you refer to plugging in to the XBox it is an acoustic/electric.

Electric guitar is really jumping the gun.

Oh course the new generation wants fast, fast results without much forethought. It saddens me. :(

Jeff

661.12.2011 13:55
LetItRaaang
Unverified new user

the game is a lot of fun. I ran through like 30 songs on the first day. you can model different cabs and head and guitars and effects and trip out on your sound and hey even if you already know half the songs (you wont, because the set list is pretty modern) every one loves trophies/achievements

Lol that fat gamer cliche. and cmon guys you have to remember that SOME of us are ADULTS. keep all the stereotypical bs and flaming to yourselfs.

671.12.2011 13:55
LetItRaaang
Unverified new user

the game is a lot of fun. I ran through like 30 songs on the first day. you can model different cabs and head and guitars and effects and trip out on your sound and hey even if you already know half the songs (you wont, because the set list is pretty modern) every one loves trophies/achievements

Lol that fat gamer cliche. and cmon guys you have to remember that SOME of us are ADULTS. keep all the stereotypical bs and flaming to yourselfs.

681.12.2011 16:16

It's simply elitist BS to complain about this game, for making it "too easy", somehow, to learn guitar. Sure, most people won't get anything real from it but a good time - worthy of itself - but a few people, who otherwise might not have, are going to find the game useful to kick-start their talent/desires.

Now, can we let this thread die..?

6923.3.2012 09:57

Sales tanked for this assistant.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/65...ext-year-Forums

Even in it's simplicity helping potential musicians learning how to play the guitar without having to spend endless hours doing scales hasn't gone well for Ubisoft. It seems the attention span of the me generation is about five minutes long.

Folks there is no free ride learning an instrument. It takes time, dedication and practice, practice, practice.

Jeff

7024.3.2012 01:26

well jeff it depends on the person.some people pick up an instrument they have never played before and can play it very well within a short time, others practise an instrument for there whole life and are mediocre at best.

edit:just to let you all know i dont think a video game can teach someone to play guitar.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Mar 2012 @ 1:27

7126.1.2013 19:43
jasonnewplay
Unverified new user

so, has anyone played this yet? I know it plugs into USB. I plug my guitar into USB on my pc with the. same kind of lead but there's a hell of a part second delay between hitting the strings and the sound coming out the pc speakers. Am wondering if there's any delay playing through the Xbox? Btw sounds like a proper improvement on a guitar hero theme. A game that uses a real instrument as a controller sounds a great idea, but what's it sound like comin out the tv? Anyone?

7226.1.2013 23:37

Dude, start a new thread. This one is nearly a year old.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive