AfterDawn: Tech news

Google and ARM looking to standardize ARM/Android architecture

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 01 Apr 2011 1:21 User comments (4)

Google and ARM looking to standardize ARM/Android architecture Google is looking to standardize its Android 3.0 mobile operating system and may also be looking to standardize Android with the ARM architecture products available in many smartphones and tablets.
By standardizing Android 3.0 Honeycomb, Google will be looking to eliminate most of the drawbacks of the OS, says Digi including a buggy UI and lack of native apps.

While there are over 250,000 apps in the Android Market, only under 100 were built for 3.0 specifications and run "perfectly" on tablets.

Additionally, the report says the "plans to standardize their platforms should significantly improve ARM architecture's major drawback of having difficulty upgrading, while can significantly reduce the development time of downstream partners as well as maintain quality."

Google recently announced it would not be releasing the Android 3.0 open source code:

"While we're excited to offer these new features to Android tablets, we have more work to do before we can deliver them to other device types including phones," a Google spokeswoman said in a statement. "We're committed to providing Android as an open platform across many device types and will publish the source as soon as it's ready."

Previous Next  

4 user comments

11.4.2011 05:23

Quote:
Google recently announced it would not be releasing the Android 3.0 open source code

Isn't it based on Linux? Isn't it a requirement for linux distros to release the source code?

All well, it looks like Google is becoming another Apple...not sure what I will do about my next phone...
Microsoft = Can't even copy and paste
Apple = Hate their own customers to the point of holding back flash
Symbian = The only thing that Nokia does that is worse than windows mobile
RIM = Closed source and over controlling...but still better than the other options...if only they would make a device with good specs.

I might just hold off until phones are powerful enough to run a real Linux distro.

21.4.2011 10:06

This is how I see, to get the market quantity over quality, now that the market is controled is time to clean the mess

31.4.2011 13:01

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Quote:
Google recently announced it would not be releasing the Android 3.0 open source code

Isn't it based on Linux? Isn't it a requirement for linux distros to release the source code?

All well, it looks like Google is becoming another Apple...not sure what I will do about my next phone...
Microsoft = Can't even copy and paste
Apple = Hate their own customers to the point of holding back flash
Symbian = The only thing that Nokia does that is worse than windows mobile
RIM = Closed source and over controlling...but still better than the other options...if only they would make a device with good specs.

I might just hold off until phones are powerful enough to run a real Linux distro.
How about one that calls people? Since when are the requirements for a phone "Needs Wi-Fi, 3G, completely integrated into the entire internet, plays 1080p movies, dual core processors, and 'I need to be able to write my own apps for it'?"

Not sayin' that's what you said, but I think it's funny that that's what phones are now compared to 5 years ago.

42.4.2011 02:07

This is the first step towards combating fragmentation across their platform.

There are still people on 1.5. Some may see this move as a bad thing but coming from someone with an Android that takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to load a web page I'm glad they're making this move. I know my hardware is a limitation, but the newer versions of Android that I've been denied run more efficiently and would benefit someone like me on older hardware.

My phone lost update support 8 months after it's release and I've had to rely on the homebrew ROM support since then.

Fragmentation is the reason I was planning to switch to Windows Phone 7.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive