AfterDawn: Tech news

Retailers reporting influx of PS3 trade-ins for Xbox 360s

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 12 May 2011 5:51 User comments (101)

Retailers reporting influx of PS3 trade-ins for Xbox 360s Edge is reporting today that retailers are starting to see the effects of the over 3-week-long PSN outage, with an influx of consumers trading their PS3s in for cash or Xbox 360s.
Furthermore, sales of PSN points cards are almost non-existent and the ratio has begun to shift for multi-platform games, with Xbox taking the lion's share.

One manager at a UK retailer had this to say:

In the first week of downtime we did not really see any major change in sales or trades. However from the second week onwards we have seen an increase of over 200 per cent on PS3 consoles being traded in, split almost 50/50 between those trading for cash and those taking a 360 instead.

A different retailer said most of those trading in their systems are from the "hardcore online shooter crowd," gamers that spend many hours online looking to level up. Black Ops and/or Modern Warfare 2 were cited in many cases.

PS3 sales have also taken a hit (says independent retailer in Germany):

We’re just ten days into the month and already we have an increase of 200 per cent in PS3s coming into the store compared to all of March. Normally we sell them really fast, but not this time. We’ve only sold 30 to 40 per cent of our inventory right now.

For software sales, gamers buying Black Ops have split 66 percent to 34 percent in favor of the 360, although the numbers were 52/48 during the first week of the outage.

Not all retailers said trade-ins were growing but one retailer in the UK did say the satisfaction rate for Sony was falling:

All we’ve seen is an incredible amount of disgruntled people annoyed that they can’t play online. Many have stopped complaining about the fact that Microsoft charges for Xbox Live. It used to be a big problem for most of our PS3 customers.

Previous Next  

101 user comments

112.5.2011 18:33

I won't shed a tear for Sony about this report. Couldn't have happened to a nicer company. Could the Music industry and Hollywood as a whole be far behind?

212.5.2011 18:37

What did they expect? even if your cable company was free and they shut down for 3 weeks, wouldn't you go find a new one?

312.5.2011 18:40

Some people have more money than sense - I appreciate they are mad but are they really going to buy all their favourite game titles on xbox now after spending hundreds or thousands on PS3 titles ?

412.5.2011 18:48

i hope everyone is happy abt this
why bother buying everything all over again? and no im not going to pay for something that's been free since even ps2 days (last gen (whichever games used the network adapter besides ffxi)).

i bet when psn comes back up those who sold or traded their systems are going to regret it. twisted metal, infamous 2, new ratchet and clank, resistance 3, etc. just to name a few of ps3 exclusives

512.5.2011 18:49

Originally posted by domie:
Some people have more money than sense - I appreciate they are mad but are they really going to buy all their favourite game titles on xbox now after spending hundreds or thousands on PS3 titles ?
now i don't have a PS3, or modern console for gaming, but isn't like almost everything that's out nowdays basically gotten to the "you must be online in order to play this"? No PSN, no gaming going down. You really would have to start going though and taking your own loses in order to play whatever game it is that's currently your thing on a different platform, i feel sorry for the people that sunk thousands into something you NEED to be online for. Remember the NES days, man I'm getting old, lol.

612.5.2011 19:03

My Atari 2600 still rocks Donkey Kong!

712.5.2011 19:09

Sony deserves every bit of this. These have been arrogant bullies and have needed to be knocked down a peg for a long time.

812.5.2011 19:18

Originally posted by Naferion:
now i don't have a PS3, or modern console for gaming, but isn't like almost everything that's out nowdays basically gotten to the "you must be online in order to play this"? No PSN, no gaming going down. You really would have to start going though and taking your own loses in order to play whatever game it is that's currently your thing on a different platform, i feel sorry for the people that sunk thousands into something you NEED to be online for. Remember the NES days, man I'm getting old, lol.
mainly just the multiplayer games require it. like netflix, updates and patches still function without PSN.

people are just starting to lose faith and patience in sony with their non-updates and lack of proof of progress. though i already have both systems, my patience has worn thin.

912.5.2011 19:53

I guess if your entire life revolved around playing a PS3 then I could see trading it in. Some people may have had enough of Sony and see this as a good time to switch. Whatever the case it will be back up soon and I have no problem waiting. Patience my friends, patience. I know some of you have lost it, but it will be worth it. Some people hate Sony, so no matter what they do you will be bitching about them.

1012.5.2011 19:56

I wasn't upset with the Live fee before this as the experience was worth the $4 a month or less (ebay). Now it just seems their are a lot more people willing to pay for something that has always been reliable.

1112.5.2011 20:29

Three weeks of downtime seems excessive. You would think that if they cared at all, they would have some kind of network up by now. I mean, how long does it take to format/reinstall???

I've never been a Sony fan and I really dislike them since they screwed me over with my Mylo. I think this incident just serves to show just how they really are.

1212.5.2011 20:41

it is being tested now people are playing SOCOM & LBP should be on at the weekend looking forward to it. seems like the obvious that some people will get a 360. why would you buy a PSN card when it is down stupid to even mention it imo.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 May 2011 @ 8:45

1313.5.2011 00:03

Originally posted by xblade132:
why bother buying everything all over again? and no im not going to pay for something that's been free since even ps2 days (last gen (whichever games used the network adapter besides ffxi)).

i bet when psn comes back up those who sold or traded their systems are going to regret it. twisted metal, infamous 2, new ratchet and clank, resistance 3, etc. just to name a few of ps3 exclusives
It has been three weeks...and sony says it will be the end of the month at the earliest. Considering that is coming from the same source that said the network would be back up by the 23rd of last month, it is anyone's guess how long the PSN will be down. If I were not burned out on online shooters, I would either be buying a 360 or upgrading the video card in my PC.

As for buying games again, most people who play online only play 1-2 games online...it isn't like they are going to repurchase their whole collection of games or anything...but all their future game purchases will be on the 360.

1413.5.2011 00:35

Cool I guess now i'll be able to get a 2nd cheap used PS3 no problem for the living room home theater. Suckers.

1513.5.2011 03:00

Hmmm... I'm wondering about what will those people do when Microsoft gets hacked... Which is quite likely to happen sooner or later. No company or platform is 100% secure, you know.

I agree though, that three weeks of outage is a lot of time. That's what should be expected with Sony, anyway, because they aren't known for being precisely fast in solving their issues.

I'm not a gamer, so I don't own any console. I really love many Sony products such as some laptops and cell phones, but it must be admitted that their market launches are delayed much more often than they should.

No complaints to be made against their customer service, which was mostly correct whenever I needed it, but the slow response they provide to major bugs, massive demands or new tech from their direct competitors is their greatest flaw.

1613.5.2011 03:00

Originally posted by ThePastor:
My Atari 2600 still rocks Donkey Kong!
Psh, I had it on ColecoVision six months before that

1713.5.2011 03:23

Originally posted by dali:
Hmmm... I'm wondering about what will those people do when Microsoft gets hacked... Which is quite likely to happen sooner or later. No company or platform is 100% secure, you know.

I agree though, that three weeks of outage is a lot of time. That's what should be expected with Sony, anyway, because they aren't known for being precisely fast in solving their issues.

I'm not a gamer, so I don't own any console. I really love many Sony products such as some laptops and cell phones, but it must be admitted that their market launches are delayed much more often than they should.

No complaints to be made against their customer service, which was mostly correct whenever I needed it, but the slow response they provide to major bugs, massive demands or new tech from their direct competitors is their greatest flaw.
i dont think microsoft will be hacked as they aren't pissing off their customers by suing them

1813.5.2011 04:25

I still have faith in Sony

1913.5.2011 08:49

Quote:
i dont think microsoft will be hacked as they aren't pissing off their customers by suing them
Or pissing them off in general. Since MS started allowing Open Source on both 360 and Kinect, the scene has backed off and MS at least listens to consumer feedback. Sony takes feedback and just tosses it away. Download games fully to the HDD? MS said sure, Sony says no, then blamed it on piracy as the reason. MS didn't see an increase on piracy with that feature.

I debated selling my PS3, I already have a 360. At the end of the day tho my PS3 collection is freaking huge. And thanks to Sony not even getting PSN online, it's value is completely worthless, there is no way I would get what I want for it. Whether or not Sony gets destroyed by this fiasco and others adding up, will eventually determine any future value outcome, so for now since i forced to keep it, it just collects dust really.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 May 2011 @ 8:50

2113.5.2011 10:09

The service is free for God sake, what do you expect?????????

You get what you pay for, nothing more nothing less....

2213.5.2011 10:38

They sure as sh-t will F Sony N the azz...

2313.5.2011 10:43

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
Idiot!!!! Go diaf...

2413.5.2011 11:14

Originally posted by wiseone7:
I won't shed a tear for Sony about this report. Couldn't have happened to a nicer company. Could the Music industry and Hollywood as a whole be far behind?
hey you dont know went the microsoft maybe shut down because the same the time the microsoft is having problem to and the sony is going put the internet may be this friday, saturday,or sunday hey you know went he said a few day that mean in 3-4 days

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 May 2011 @ 11:15

2513.5.2011 11:19

Originally posted by Smacks:
I guess if your entire life revolved around playing a PS3 then I could see trading it in. Some people may have had enough of Sony and see this as a good time to switch.

Heck if I played online, say an hour a day after work usually, or even before work, and it was down every time I wanted to play for, what 3 weeks now? I would probably trade it in for a 360 to. I dont play on line but just saying..

2613.5.2011 11:48

Originally posted by rottenly:
Idiot!!!! Go diaf...
Practice what you preach. Just because someone expressed an opinion you don't agree with is no reason to go full retard on them.

Oh you're a newbie. I see. Never mind.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 May 2011 @ 11:12

2713.5.2011 12:02

and to think this all began over someone getting butthurt because legal action was taken. hate sony all you want but i don't see how hacking their services and stealing millions of acct data is going to prove anything. in the longrun theyre just going to get whats coming to them..

and i too still have faith in sony. im not going to xbox because of some idiot(s) getting butthurt and ruining it for the rest of the world. i absolutely refuse to pay for something that should be free

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 May 2011 @ 12:06

2813.5.2011 14:54

They sure as sh-t will F Sony N the azz...
Idiot!!!! Go diaf...
If all you have to contribute is profane lazy text speak and insults at other members please don't bother. This is your only warning.

Originally posted by salsa36:

Thinking something is more secure because you pay for it is inherently naive. ANYTHING can be compromised given the will, desire and time.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 May 2011 @ 2:57

2913.5.2011 14:58

Yes, it's down, it's old news, it sucks. It's a different story if Sony is getting rid of PSN entirely or start charging fees. In that case, yeah, I might trade the PS3 for something else (it's still a top notch 3D player though).

Anyhow, if people want to trade in their PS3, that's their rights. But yeah, you're not going to get much for it. Besides, if you leveled up and such (put many hours into the game), you're losing even more.

PSN down = suck, we all know this, but the frustration should end soon, PSN should be up in a "few" days.

3013.5.2011 15:15
Zoo_Look
Inactive

Three weeks of downtime seems excessive. You would think that if they cared at all, they would have some kind of network up by now. I mean, how long does it take to format/reinstall???

Simplistic comment from a someone who obviously has no clue what the issue involves!

You really have no clue what running a server involves do you? If it was that easy they would be up within hours.

The problem is they need to update the security model so it won't happen again. Or would you expect them to ignore that and start the service pending a security review in the hope that they will not be attacked again in the interim period?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 May 2011 @ 3:37

3113.5.2011 15:31

There is no need for insults, please edit your post and abide by Afterdawns rules. TY.

3213.5.2011 15:39

so true,nothing is free in this life,nothing.

3313.5.2011 15:46
Zoo_Look
Inactive

Originally posted by voyager:

Indeed, this outage cost 100s of 1000s of peoples credit card details... decidedly not cheap!!

3413.5.2011 18:08

Would you give me your credit card number and personal data for a free service? If you do, you are an idiot.

And you always get what you pay for, always. If you pay you get a good lawyer (the free one will get you in jail), if you pay more you get a good Doctor and won't die, if you pay more you eat a good meal, what do you get for free that it's better than the same item that you can buy, please one example. (PSN isn't it)

No reason to curse lizzen.

3513.5.2011 19:13
Zoo_Look
Inactive

Originally posted by lizzenup9:
Originally posted by Zoo_Look:
Originally posted by voyager:

Indeed, this outage cost 100s of 1000s of peoples credit card details... decidedly not cheap!!

Soooooo.............with your head-up-your-ass mentality, just because something is free, gives the 'giver' the right to be negligent and compromise

Sooooo........with you childish, head-up-your-ass mentality, just because it's "free", that gives people/companies the right to compromise your privacy and slack off on integrity and security. "Get what you pay for does not ALWAYS apply" you edited by ddp !
And the customer is not always right either... but try telling a customer that! Pay a million dollars, you get a million dollar service... pay shit... get monkeys! People paid shit for PSn and got monkeys!

Argue all you like about Sony being incompetent, but other paid for services have backup systems, proper funding for decent security measures, and have been the victims of attempted break-ins... and NONE have been outed like PSn.

Take your attitude, live cheap... and dont complain when your cheap-ass gets raped!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 May 2011 @ 10:42

3613.5.2011 20:01

WTH is up with all the azzhats and their personal insults?
The MODS are fine! Get with the program or get the eff out.

As for me not understanding about networks... Sure. But I hardly think I'm unique in not understanding how the Sony network functions. If you think 3 weeks is "normal" then you are in the minority.

The purpose of my comment was to say that 3 weeks is an INSANELY long time for this to go on. Could you imagine Facebook being down for three weeks? Or Amazon.com?

Sony thinks they are the S... but they are not. They've been pwned and now their entire strategy has to be reworked. It only goes to show how inherently unsecured they were.

3713.5.2011 22:21
Zoo_Look
Inactive

They've been pwned and now their entire strategy has to be reworked. It only goes to show how inherently unsecured they were.
And in your opinion (posted previously) you think a format and re-install is still the way to solve the security issue?

3813.5.2011 22:40
Zoo_Look
Inactive

incidentally:

elbald90, Microsoft has acknowledged they are already under attack:

If the PSn attack were likened to me killing you and your family to steal your credit cards, the example you linked to would be like me asking you politely in the street for your card... you could "thwart my attack" by saying no and walking away.

A phishing "attack" isn't in the same league as a DDOS attack... It's not even hacking.

3914.5.2011 00:33

Originally posted by elbald90:

Other console manufacturers also did not charge $300 additional for their Consoles with an, "Other Operating System," feature and later steal the feature from their customers calling it an, "Update," after developing consoles without the Other O/S feature at a discount of $300.00. Justice will prevail through one means or another.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 May 2011 @ 12:51

4014.5.2011 00:48

Sony complains about being cheated through pirating of their games yet they steal from their customers and think that is OK. Sony didn't give the Other O/S Feature to their customers for free; most of the consoles containing that feature were sold at an additional cost of $300.00. Once Sony developed a cheaper console without that feature they stole the Other O/S feature back from their customers who had paid the premium for that feature. This was not an Update at all; it was theft, pure and simple, of a feature that they charged $300.00 to include in the consoles. Sony does not have clean hands in any complaints involving the PS3 and should be prohibited remedy through the U. S. Courts under our Clean Hands Docterine.

4114.5.2011 02:08

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Originally posted by xblade132:

It has been three weeks...and sony says it will be the end of the month at the earliest. Considering that is coming from the same source that said the network would be back up by the 23rd of last month, it is anyone's guess how long the PSN will be down. If I were not burned out on online shooters, I would either be buying a 360 or upgrading the video card in my PC.

As for buying games again, most people who play online only play 1-2 games online...it isn't like they are going to repurchase their whole collection of games or anything...but all their future game purchases will be on the 360.
Dragon Age Origin and Awakening are both PC exclusive, and well worth a Play through if you haven't already. i agree shooters are getting more and more bland and repetitive i find myself playing Simulations MMO's And RPGs....a new space sim would be nice something like Free Lancer

4214.5.2011 08:43
Zoo_Look
Inactive

To be impartial about the redaction of the "other OS" feature, it's my understanding the user had a clear notification that the update would remove that feature... hardly a theft on their part. I think the bigger story is regardless of the reasoning behind the criminal activity that stole EVERYONE'S use of the Playstation Network, it wouldn't have happened if users were able to connect to each other directly.

Sony (and MS through the same procedure with X-Box) are plainly stupid in using such a method for on-line gaming... I can't remember the last time I wasn't able to connect to a freind via PC that wasn't mine or their network or config problem. Using centralised servers added not only another layer of possible network problems, but a very real chance of their capacity being so overloaded that users simply can't connect anyway. And that's not even mentioning the now proven way of harming EVERYONE'S on-line experience by taking that single point of entry out.

At least Sony gave users a choice in whether to "upgrade" or not, the guys taking PSn out gave users NO choice in whether to play on-line or not... who are the real criminals in this story?

4314.5.2011 13:27

To be impartial about the redaction of the "other OS" feature, it's my understanding the user had a clear notification that the update would remove that feature... hardly a theft on their part. I think the bigger story is regardless of the reasoning behind the criminal activity that stole EVERYONE'S use of the Playstation Network, it wouldn't have happened if users were able to connect to each other directly.

Sony (and MS through the same procedure with X-Box) are plainly stupid in using such a method for on-line gaming... I can't remember the last time I wasn't able to connect to a freind via PC that wasn't mine or their network or config problem. Using centralised servers added not only another layer of possible network problems, but a very real chance of their capacity being so overloaded that users simply can't connect anyway. And that's not even mentioning the now proven way of harming EVERYONE'S on-line experience by taking that single point of entry out.

At least Sony gave users a choice in whether to "upgrade" or not, the guys taking PSn out gave users NO choice in whether to play on-line or not... who are the real criminals in this story?
it does not matter if they gave a forewarning, its a feature early adopters paid for just like We paid for the Ability to play PS2 games,we paid for 4 USB connections and we paid for the built in card reader.

Sony are the real crooks spin it however you like, they stole a feature. a group of like minded hackers simply stole it back. you may have had no use for it. i did however, so did lots of other technically inclined folks.

as too the current situation its unrelated, PSN being down has nothing to do with PS3 hacks. first they said it was the reflow hack they lied, now there saying it was the Legion anonymous that's probably a lie too. the only thing im getting out of this whole ordeal is Sony is nothing but a pack of liers.

4414.5.2011 14:34

Sony's biggest mistake was removing OtherOS with the reason that "It poses a security hazard". Once that was said, people started poking around with the system and found the exploits. If they did what Microsoft did, Enable a feature through a dashboard update (AP25 on certain games/AP25 standard to new games), people would have been happy and who knows, the PS3 might not have been hacked.

Sony thinks piracy is going to kill the PS3 just like the PSP. They're wrong. PSP died because it sucked. 360 has piracy and it's still going strong. They also need to think about it logically; how many people will pirate 20+ GB games? It's much easier to burn 360 games on a $1.50 DVD.

4514.5.2011 15:44

Originally posted by s_c47:
Idiot!!!! Go diaf...
Practice what you preach. Just because someone expressed an opinion you don't agree with is no reason to go full retard on them.

Oh you're a newbie. I see. Never mind.

Go play hide and go edited for content yourself mmm k?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 May 2011 @ 5:34

4614.5.2011 17:35

Have a nice month off. Do it again and it will be permanent.

4714.5.2011 18:10
Zoo_Look
Inactive

Well DXR88... on the plus side, at least you didn't pay for PSn, so I guess there's no obligation to get it running again anyway!

EVERYONE WINS!

4814.5.2011 18:49

36o owners should be grateful the PSN is free because that forces MS to charge so little for LIVE Gold ($1~2 per week). Come on it's bugger all, try playing WoW.

Yay, maybe a good time for me to pick up a PS3.

Still, I reckon people are right about keeping the game collection they already bought. We should be looking at new sale rates, not just trade-ins, they would tell a more complete story.

Mony got rid of OtherOS because they were making no money off that goodwill gesture. Weren't they losing on the cost of those models? Still, they should not have removed it from the old models.

4915.5.2011 02:07

Well DXR88... on the plus side, at least you didn't pay for PSn, so I guess there's no obligation to get it running again anyway!

EVERYONE WINS!
when i purchased a game i was entitled to not only single player but also multi player content as well. i will not pay for a service that forces me to fork over extra cash to enjoy the complete experience of my $60.00 purchase.

all the poor fools that do are being robbed of $20.00 bucks a month how Microshaft gets away with it is beyond me. your paying them to use your console as a server, your bandwidth to host there adds. hell they've got a pretty good thing going for em.

5015.5.2011 02:15

Alright people, if you're complaining about $45/year (Yes, it's that price if you know where to look), then you shouldn't own a console and your priorities should be saving money. PSN is free and I used to think it's the same thing. For the most part, they are the same thing. There are the minor things in 360 such as less lag, better wifi handling, faster searching for games, and all the other Microsoft add ons which is what they're charging for. Yes, it'd be better if it was free but I can guarantee you that it wouldn't be as good. I'm not saying I'm all PS3, the interface is garbage. Trying to find what you want in a huge list of downloads in NXE is impossible. The PlayStation Store interface is much better. Also I love the XMB. It takes a little getting used to on 360 to find what you want, also on a big screen, the XMB looks much cleaner. Think about it this way, if you give the PS3 and 360 to somebody who's never seen them before and ask them to start Netflix, I can guarantee you that they'd be able to figure it out on PS3 over 360. 360's interface just looks overwhelming.

I'm happy with my Live subscription. I definitely feel like I'm getting what I paid for.

5115.5.2011 02:56

Originally posted by core2kid:
Alright people, if you're complaining about $45/year (Yes, it's that price if you know where to look), then you shouldn't own a console and your priorities should be saving money. PSN is free and I used to think it's the same thing. For the most part, they are the same thing. There are the minor things in 360 such as less lag, better wifi handling, faster searching for games, and all the other Microsoft add ons which is what they're charging for. Yes, it'd be better if it was free but I can guarantee you that it wouldn't be as good. I'm not saying I'm all PS3, the interface is garbage. Trying to find what you want in a huge list of downloads in NXE is impossible. The PlayStation Store interface is much better. Also I love the XMB. It takes a little getting used to on 360 to find what you want, also on a big screen, the XMB looks much cleaner. Think about it this way, if you give the PS3 and 360 to somebody who's never seen them before and ask them to start Netflix, I can guarantee you that they'd be able to figure it out on PS3 over 360. 360's interface just looks overwhelming.

I'm happy with my Live subscription. I definitely feel like I'm getting what I paid for.
not a complaint, i should not have to pay anything else than $60.00 to enjoy my game in the fullness that i was entitled too.

Quote:

There are the minor things in 360 such as less lag, better wifi handling, faster searching for games

less lag = Opinion, the fact is its based on wan capability of the host among other things.

Better Wifi handling = i hope so you paid $40~$50 bucks for a dongle accessory.

faster searching for games = Preference, ever since they ditched the blade system, i can never find what I'm looking for the first time. the new system is a folder inside of a folder in a folder its annoying an inefficient.

Quote:
all the other Microsoft add ons
what add on....oh yeah the one that allows you to play your fully payed for Game in multiplayer. the truth is i can do everything you can do with silver status except play my games online.

if you like Shelling out $45 dollars to the digital highwaymen that's your own choice. im just stating it shouldn't be allowed to happen. when you bought the game you payed for a license entitling you to both online and offline portions of that game. along comes MS and says no you no longer have that right. pay us or get half of your game taken away.

5215.5.2011 03:59

Oh come on Dexter, $20 a month is what WoW might cost...

I just checked and it's US $60 for a year's subscription to Gold. And Core2's correct you yanks can get it even cheaper.

You should be laughing. What sh!ts me is that you go on about paying a whole $60 a game! Do we Aussies have "d!ckhead mugs" tattooed on our foreheads? We must, because M$, $ony and whomever charge us AU $100~120 per fricken game and our dollar is now worth over US $1.05!

And no reach-around either with a local server provided. Pfft, that's far more worthwhile to b!tch about than a measly couple of dollars a month at the most. Thanks a f-load Phony, Microshat et' all. And f the Oz fanboyz who let them get away with it.

:/

5315.5.2011 04:22

Microsoft can do whatever they want to for online. You're using THEIR servers. The agreement is just that the game developers let you play the game online, they don't specify who will host it.

The Wifi adapter cost me $25, even if it cost me $60, I really wouldn't care. At least it works. PS3's Wifi is shit. The new 360s have it built in and it's still better than PS3. That's my biggest complaint on PS3.

Less lag is a YES 100%. I have 4 PS3s and 4 360s (and 1 Wii cause the suck...lol) 1 360 and 1 PS3 is wired and the rest are wireless, they are all next to each other on the same TV. In each case, the 360 will lag MUCH less on COD4, MW2, Black Ops (Trying to compare multi-platform games) and take much less time in finding games. NAT type also varies continuously on PS3 (I let uPnP take care of it), On 360, it's always OPEN. On PS3, it depends on the day. However, NAT type open/moderate (never get strict), doesn't affect the ability for me connecting to a game. Tests are the exact same.

Other add ons such as the videos, news updates, trailers, I can't really say right now. I have to be in front of a 360 to tell them to you. I know though the PS3's "What's New" page doesn't live up to it at all.

Basically Microsoft can charge you whatever they want to. You're using their servers. I personally find no problem paying $45/yr. Take $60/year and it's 16 cents a day. That's less than the amount of car change I collect daily.

Price seems like a lot, think about it this way. Would you rather pay $50 for gas every 2 weeks or $1200 up front for the year?

5515.5.2011 05:11

My mistake, it's only $39.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Month-Live-Gold-Card/dp/B0029LJIFG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305447910&sr=8-2
WTF?

If I see another fb go on about the outre' Gold price or how fantastic PSN is because it's free, I'll spit!!!

And yeah, the new xboxs have N as standard and if you aren't using N wireless at home anyway you're missing out BIG TIME.

5615.5.2011 06:00
Zoo_Look
Inactive

DXR88, Since you don't pay for an online subscription to PSn, you could argue you were being given a service ABOVE what you paid for anyway!

5715.5.2011 06:38

DXR88, Since you don't pay for an online subscription to PSn, you could argue you were being given a service ABOVE what you paid for anyway!
Arrrgh!!!!

5815.5.2011 09:25

Microsoft can do whatever they want to for online. You're using THEIR servers. The agreement is just that the game developers let you play the game online, they don't specify who will host it.

The Wifi adapter cost me $25, even if it cost me $60, I really wouldn't care. At least it works. PS3's Wifi is shit. The new 360s have it built in and it's still better than PS3. That's my biggest complaint on PS3.

Less lag is a YES 100%. I have 4 PS3s and 4 360s (and 1 Wii cause the suck...lol) 1 360 and 1 PS3 is wired and the rest are wireless, they are all next to each other on the same TV. In each case, the 360 will lag MUCH less on COD4, MW2, Black Ops (Trying to compare multi-platform games) and take much less time in finding games. NAT type also varies continuously on PS3 (I let uPnP take care of it), On 360, it's always OPEN. On PS3, it depends on the day. However, NAT type open/moderate (never get strict), doesn't affect the ability for me connecting to a game. Tests are the exact same.

Other add ons such as the videos, news updates, trailers, I can't really say right now. I have to be in front of a 360 to tell them to you. I know though the PS3's "What's New" page doesn't live up to it at all.

Basically Microsoft can charge you whatever they want to. You're using their servers. I personally find no problem paying $45/yr. Take $60/year and it's 16 cents a day. That's less than the amount of car change I collect daily.

Price seems like a lot, think about it this way. Would you rather pay $50 for gas every 2 weeks or $1200 up front for the year?
WiFi in the PS3 doesn't suck. In your logic, your FOUR Xbox 360 Live fee is 16 cents times FOUR a day. Your FOUR PS3 on the other hand, all free :)

5915.5.2011 10:03

I get the impression they're not all on the web LOL.

But as long as you enter your LIVE account details I'm pretty sure you can use any old X360. I never had to register my X360... well, not that I recall.

6015.5.2011 12:39

Originally posted by Gnawnivek:
WiFi in the PS3 doesn't suck. In your logic, your FOUR Xbox 360 Live fee is 16 cents times FOUR a day. Your FOUR PS3 on the other hand, all free :)
MY FOUR 360s are all using the EXACT SAME LIVE account so they are 16 cents a day COMBINED. I'm not using every single system at the same time. The Wifi on the PS3 DOES suck 100%. They're idiots for not putting in 802.11A/N and the antenna design is garbage. And want to know how I know it sucks? I've been through 4 routers trying to fix the PSN wireless problem. I've taken the PS3 to a friends house for Netflix, out of my other friends that have PS3s, all on Wifi who's router is in another room complain about signal.
I can take a 360 in my friends basement and connect to Live on a G adapter, no problems. PS3 won't even see the network. It's a brand new Slim vs an old 2006 model.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 May 2011 @ 12:40

6115.5.2011 13:15

MY FOUR 360s are all using the EXACT SAME LIVE account so they are 16 cents a day COMBINED. I'm not using every single system at the same time. The Wifi on the PS3 DOES suck 100%. They're idiots for not putting in 802.11A/N and the antenna design is garbage. And want to know how I know it sucks? I've been through 4 routers trying to fix the PSN wireless problem. I've taken the PS3 to a friends house for Netflix, out of my other friends that have PS3s, all on Wifi who's router is in another room complain about signal.
I can take a 360 in my friends basement and connect to Live on a G adapter, no problems. PS3 won't even see the network. It's a brand new Slim vs an old 2006 model.
Yeah, I was right. You should acknowledge you were rather desperate there Gnawnivek. lol

And a G home network utterly sucks compared to N. And I'm not just talking about for consoles. It sucks my NOOK is G. In this day and age it's just ridiculous not to include N.

It just occurred to me that if I get a second hand PS3 how will I be certain it's de-registered or whatever the fascists at $ony call it?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 May 2011 @ 1:20

6215.5.2011 13:19

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Yeah, I was right. You should acknowledge you were rather desperate there Gnawnivek. lol

And a G home network utterly sucks compared to N. And I'm not just talking about for consoles. It sucks my NOOK is G. In this day and age it's just ridiculous not to include N.
Meh, still using a G adapter on my N home router. I have the Netgear WNR3500L without any problems. No lag whatsoever.

6315.5.2011 13:23

Got both my PS3 and XBox hard wired to the network. Ports are there and wireless is never as dependable in my opinion...Though I do run my laptops on N...

6415.5.2011 13:24

Got a N adapter in your laptop Gnawni?

And you're right dew... the ping over wireless is not as good.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 May 2011 @ 1:27

6515.5.2011 15:23

Originally posted by DXR88:
when i purchased a game i was entitled to not only single player but also multi player content as well. i will not pay for a service that forces me to fork over extra cash to enjoy the complete experience of my $60.00 purchase.

all the poor fools that do are being robbed of $20.00 bucks a month how Microshaft gets away with it is beyond me. your paying them to use your console as a server, your bandwidth to host there adds. hell they've got a pretty good thing going for em.
This is exactly why I didn't want to pay for LIVE!.

PSN is free and I used to think it's the same thing. For the most part, they are the same thing. There are the minor things in 360 such as less lag, better wifi handling, faster searching for games, and all the other Microsoft add ons which is what they're charging for.
Sorry C2K but some of what you say is opinion and not fact. The 360 does not have less lag. It only has better WiFi (Wireless N) on new 360s models. Searching speeds is dependent on a users own network provider and other factors.

Yes, it'd be better if it was free but I can guarantee you that it wouldn't be as good.
You can't guarantee something you can't possibly know.

Trying to find what you want in a huge list of downloads in NXE is impossible. The PlayStation Store interface is much better. Also I love the XMB. It takes a little getting used to on 360 to find what you want, also on a big screen, the XMB looks much cleaner. Think about it this way, if you give the PS3 and 360 to somebody who's never seen them before and ask them to start Netflix, I can guarantee you that they'd be able to figure it out on PS3 over 360. 360's interface just looks overwhelming.
I agree completely and personally believe the XMB is easier to navigate ~ but if you really want to break it down the XMB and NXE are actually quite similar since MS copied the XMB but with their twist...see MS copied/changed the blades to act like the XMB with the NXE update because on the ~

PS3: you scroll left and right to select category, then up and down within the category.

360: you scroll up and down to select category, then right and left within that category.

They should have kept the blade system and just tweaked it to make it more user friendly and familiar.

not a complaint, i should not have to pay anything else than $60.00 to enjoy my game in the fullness that i was entitled too.
I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Quote:

There are the minor things in 360 such as less lag, better wifi handling, faster searching for games

less lag = Opinion, the fact is its based on wan capability of the host among other things.

Better Wifi handling = i hope so you paid $40~$50 bucks for a dongle accessory.

faster searching for games = Preference, ever since they ditched the blade system, i can never find what I'm looking for the first time. the new system is a folder inside of a folder in a folder its annoying an inefficient.
You make an excellent point ~ I forgot about the cost of the dongle for those who don't have a WiFi model.

Microsoft can do whatever they want to for online. You're using THEIR servers.
Incorrect. LIVE! has a very limited amount of dedicated servers for their games. DXR got it right when he said this above ~

Quote:
your paying them to use your console as a server, your bandwidth to host there adds. hell they've got a pretty good thing going for em.
What he said is completely correct and fact. Now the PSN has much more dedicated servers for their games...and yet it is a free service. Odd isn't it, but still absolutely true.

That is your opinion and not a fact as has been said.

Less lag is a YES 100%. I have 4 PS3s and 4 360s (and 1 Wii cause the suck...lol) 1 360 and 1 PS3 is wired and the rest are wireless, they are all next to each other on the same TV. In each case, the 360 will lag MUCH less on COD4, MW2, Black Ops (Trying to compare multi-platform games) and take much less time in finding games.
That is your experience thus not fact for all.

NAT type also varies continuously on PS3 (I let uPnP take care of it), On 360, it's always OPEN. On PS3, it depends on the day. However, NAT type open/moderate (never get strict), doesn't affect the ability for me connecting to a game. Tests are the exact same.
Again opinion based on your experience and what I bolded in red kinda confirms it because a NAT issue is something based in software and setup. Example ~ from day 1 on my 3 PS3's, 1 360, 1 Wii & Original Xbox I have ALWAYS had a NAT Type 2 and NEVER anything else (other than NAT Type 1 if I bypassed my router). Thus proving the PS3's Wireless hardware is capable of providing a "non strict/ non restricted" experience, which is in stark contrast to your personal experience. Proving it is not a fact that it cannot do so.

NAT issues come down to router(s), network connection/speed, distance to router (especially if a poor quality brand), what options you have set in your router and your physical location from the node. Additionally it is widely know some network providers limit bandwidth based on the hardware connected to their service as well as time of day (but that is for all connections). Either way that is all a personal users experience and has nothing to do with the console itself. So while your experience is "fact" it is not the hardware on the PS3 that makes it so. It's other external variables of which are separate thus making it your experience not "fact for all".

Basically Microsoft can charge you whatever they want to. You're using their servers.
You have said this 3 times so far C2K, but that won't change it to being correct.

The Wifi on the PS3 DOES suck 100%. They're idiots for not putting in 802.11A/N and the antenna design is garbage. And want to know how I know it sucks? I've been through 4 routers trying to fix the PSN wireless problem. I've taken the PS3 to a friends house for Netflix, out of my other friends that have PS3s, all on Wifi who's router is in another room complain about signal.
The Xbox 360 didn't even come with Wireless installed when it launched. The PS3 did 5 years ago (except for the 20gb model which was phased out quickly), hell even the Wii came with WiFi! It wasn't until the 360s just released last year that it came with a Wireless solution installed for all consumers. If you are having wireless issues it is an issue on your end as the PS3's wireless is more than sufficient for it's intended use. Would Wireless N be better? Hell yes! But that is a non issue because what is installed works, and actually was improved over the PHAT PS3's Wireless hardware.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 May 2011 @ 3:32

6615.5.2011 15:51

Well obviously something is wrong with my 4 PS3s, and all the other PS3s that I've seen around. I have yet to see a PS3 that performs flawlessly over wifi. Wired, depends on the day and I doubt it has to do with NAT as much as the load on PSN's servers.

6715.5.2011 16:04

Well obviously something is wrong with my 4 PS3s, and all the other PS3s that I've seen around. I have yet to see a PS3 that performs flawlessly over wifi. Wired, depends on the day and I doubt it has to do with NAT as much as the load on PSN's servers.
What part of the country do you live in? What is your network service provider? I am in Florida and go back and forth to NY and have family/friends in California/Texas/Georgia of which all work "flawlessly over Wifi". And honestly there are not very many posts here at aD (remember we are wordwide) let alone the PS Forums that would denote an issue to be "fact".
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 May 2011 @ 4:06

6815.5.2011 16:05
Zoo_Look
Inactive

Maybe with less people using PSn the opportunity to test the server overload theory presents itself!

6915.5.2011 16:06

NJ, Optimum 16MB/s DL wired, about 14MB/s DL over wireless N/G

7015.5.2011 16:07

Northern, Southern, Central? Rural or Urban?

7115.5.2011 16:09

Originally posted by Oner:
North, closer to the PA side.

7215.5.2011 16:13
Zoo_Look
Inactive

Rural NJ?

7315.5.2011 16:18

North, closer to the PA side.
In the middle.

7415.5.2011 16:24

So more suburban/rural then, correct (if you are closer to PA)? I have family in Stroudsburg PA (pretty rural) and their PS3's are fine, I used to live in Rockland County NY (suburban) which is connected to Northern NJ (Mahwah etc) and have even personally had Optimum Online through CableVision there (and as well as in the Bronx Urban) so I know the service for Upstate & Downstate NY through Optimum is very good.

You must have some sort of conflicts within your network setup or router then. Are you running static IP's for all your devices? I know I am (kinda have to with 3 PS3's, 1 360, 1 Wii, 1 Xbox, 1 PSP, 3 PC's, 2 Laptops, 1 HDTV w/net connectivity and whatever else I may have missed like multiple internet capable phones within the family). I don't even have a single device in a DMZ as it's not needed since everything just works.

Edit: I just deleted 3 of the 4 posts that were exact duplicates of your post. Seems you are having issues with your PC network connection maybe as well?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 May 2011 @ 4:35

7515.5.2011 16:29

So more suburban/rural then, correct (if you are closer to PA)? I have family in Stroudsburg PA and their PS3's are fine, I used to live in Rockland County NY which is connected to Northern NJ (Mahwah etc) and have even personally had Optimum Online through CableVision there (and as well as in the Bronx) so I know the service for Upstate & Downstate NY through Optimum is very good.

You must have some sort of conflicts within your network setup or router then. Are you running static IP's for all your devices? I know I am (kinda have to with 3 PS3's, 1 360, 1 Wii, 1 Xbox, 1 PSP, 3 PC's, 2 Laptops, 1 HDTV w/net connectivity and whatever else I may have mised). I don't even have a single device in a DMZ as it's not needed since everything just works.

Edit: I just deleted 3 of the 4 posts that were exact duplicates of your post. Seems you are having issues with your PC network connection maybe as well?
No sorry, I hit reply with signature and I quickly unchecked it and hit reply again a couple times.

I'm not on a static IP or DMZ. I had it like that once before and it wasn't any different. For example, just playing MW2 and NAT is moderate. Why? It's retarded.

7615.5.2011 16:33

I would definitely run Static IP's if I were you with all the devices you currently run and especially if you are hardcore gaming to avoid IP issues & conflicts between devices. You could get devices wanting to hold onto what was given to them earlier in the day and then bumping off a device that is currently using the same IP. Honestly to me it sounds like that is where more of your issues might be than just "PS3 WiFi sucks".

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 May 2011 @ 4:37

7715.5.2011 16:43

I would definitely run Static IP's if I were you and especially if you are hardcore gaming to avoid IP issues & conflicts between devices. You could get devices wanting to hold onto what was given to them earlier in the day and then bumping off a device that is currently using the same IP. Honestly to me it sounds like that is where more of your issues might be than just "PS3 WiFi sucks".
Not a hardcore gamer at all, I just hate when friends can't connect to my games. Also did some router adjustments and now I can't connect to PSN with the error "Down for maintenance".

7815.5.2011 17:14

There are reports of intermittent connection issues that seem to probably be due to server load as more and more users update & log in. Source ~ PS EU Twitter). So I would wait on adjusting anything in your router currently.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 May 2011 @ 5:29

7915.5.2011 17:37

yeah static IP's help alot, also takes away about 5% of the routers CPU overhead. also set all your game console IP's to the DMZ list, excluding any set up as a Media Hub. the reason being if you console communicates in anyway with your PC, its a security risk and a big one at that.

8015.5.2011 17:46

yeah static IP's help alot, also takes away about 5% of the routers CPU overhead. also set all your game console IP's to the DMZ list, excluding any set up as a Media Hub. the reason being if you console communicates in anyway with your PC, its a security risk and a big one at that.
Hmm that's good to know. Thanx.

8115.5.2011 20:34

Oner, I thank you fro your clear explanations. I always learn something from your posts :)

I like Gnawni, pretty cool nick. I have nothing else to add to PS3 wifi, G or N or whatever. All I know is that my Xbox is wired because it doesn't have wifi build in (can I say "sucks?"). My PS3 picks up the router signals fine in the basement, 100% strength too. But yeah, the router signal is reduced to 50% or less when I go to the 2nd floor (router is on the first floor). Anyhow, I'm not like most other people, I turn my router off when I go to sleep(conserve energy, lol).

And oh yeah, I refuse to pay to game online either. If I bought the game, I should be able to use everything described on the box. I'm not saying Live is not good, I'm saying I shouldn't have to pay to game online. As for other features, chatting or what not, that's entirely up to the consumers.

Bottom line is, PSN is free and I will stick to it as long as it's free :)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 May 2011 @ 8:46

8216.5.2011 01:20

Oner, please stop perpetuating the myth that the Live Gold service costs a lot, like agreeing with DXR when he implies it costs $20/month, it costs bugger-all, be real... I would have expected better from someone as objective as yourself.

A desperate boring wall-o-text isn't going to change that.

Also, I'm curious about this statement:

Quote:
Now the PSN has much more dedicated servers for their games...and yet it is a free service. Odd isn't it, but still absolutely true.
You naturally have some evidence for that?

I should have realised you were from the axis of evil... NY, Florida & Texas. :D

8316.5.2011 02:11

Oner, please stop perpetuating the myth that the Live Gold service costs a lot, like agreeing with DXR when he implies it costs $20/month, it costs bugger-all, be real... I would have expected better from someone as objective as yourself.

A desperate boring wall-o-text isn't going to change that.

Also, I'm curious about this statement:
Quote:
Now the PSN has much more dedicated servers for their games...and yet it is a free service. Odd isn't it, but still absolutely true.
You naturally have some evidence for that?

I should have realised you were from the axis of evil... NY, Florida & Texas. :D
my point was not that it costs to much or to little, my point was its an unruly cost.

for that last time, you purchased a full license to use the game in question, both online and offline. However Microsoft in there infinite wisdom is forcing you to pay Extra monthly, trimonthly, Yearly, whatever your robbing date preference may be. Otherwise they take away half of your game. a half that you are rightfully entitled too upon purchase of the said game. the only thing live servers do aside from caching, banning, and pumping ads for your viewing pleasure(on a paid Gold subscription i might add, so not only are they getting your cash there getting cash for the ads) is to keep track of stats. everything else VoIP, gaming, Avatar's is all done by the host. you, not MS, not God, but you the host.

a good analogy of what MS is doing...Your paying a homeless individual to come to your house eat your food, drink your beer, all on your expense. I couldn't care less about my food but no one touches my beer....no one.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 May 2011 @ 2:12

8416.5.2011 03:16

Free beer notwithstanding...

By Zeus' crotch, how do you think $ony pay for this munificent service? By being thrifty?

Hmmm... Mony charge about 10% more for a new game than M$. Now let's put a couple of fingers on each hand to our temples and grunt really hard... how do they pay for PSN, gee I still don't know... isn't it great value but?

You lot aught to stop being such babies and start lookin' at their economic models.

It's the same deal the way FBs w@nked on and on and on about the X360 not having wireless before, like it was a friggen necessity! Shut up! M$ kept the cost of the original X360 down by making it an optional extra. $ony opted for including it in the PS3 but you still paid for it... do you really think that the only reason that the PS3 cost more was just because of Blu-ray?

I mean Oner goes on... "oh yeah, thanks for reminding me that old X360 owners had to pay heaps for a wireless adapter". What, do we look that stupid... I say again... the PS# cost more to begin with!!!

It's their different economic models... what they believe is attractive to the consumer and what they believe they can get away with. This is their game. Just grow up... you are still being charged for it.

LOL

8516.5.2011 03:36

By Zeus' crotch, how do you think $ony pay for this munificent service? By being thrifty?

Hmmm... Mony charge about 10% more for a new game than M$. Now let's put a couple of fingers on each hand to our temples and grunt really hard... how do they pay for PSN, gee I still don't know... isn't it great value but?

You lot aught to stop being such babies and start lookin' at their economic models.

It's the same deal the way FBs w@nked on and on and on about the X360 not having wireless before, like it was a friggen necessity! Shut up! M$ kept the cost of the original X360 down by making it an optional extra. $ony opted for including it in the PS3 but you still paid for it... do you really think that the only reason that the PS3 cost more was just because of Blu-ray?

I mean Oner goes on... "oh yeah, thanks for reminding me that old X360 owners had to pay heaps for a wireless adapter". What, do we look that stupid... I say again... the PS# cost more to begin with!!!

It's their different economic models... what they believe is attractive to the consumer and what they believe they can get away with. This is their game. Just grow up... you are still being charged for it.

LOL
you can literally generate enough revenue by ads to keep a service like X-live an PSN free. if i could play games online for free on live i wouldn't mind 10 more ads or more.

8616.5.2011 03:40

LOL
PS3 cost more because of all the stuff they put inside. Don't get me wrong, I love my 60GB PS3 to death and I use every feature but in the terms of a gamer, they need 2, maybe 3 USB, no backwards compatibility or media card readers, and something that's reliable. Basically they need a cheap slim PS3. The fat PS3 was overkill but so awesome.

Above is right about the wireless adapters, it's not a necessity at all but then again, how many people have an ethernet cable next to their TV? It's worth having it built in but I really wouldn't mind spending on one. Of course, I wouldn't spend $100, who would? If you know where to look, you can get them cheap. My 4 adapters cost $20 each, 2G's (Bought about 3 years ago) and 2N's (Bought 6 months ago) *Hint, eBay*

Your saying about being able to play a game to it's fullest right off the shelf doesn't work. You can't expect to buy a house and be provided with utilities for the rest of your life free of charge.

In the beginning, PS3 was the better deal.
$600 PS3 60GB with Blu-Ray
+ $00 Built in Wifi
+ $00 Free Online
+ $25 Blu-Ray Remote (Built in High Def format)
Total --------------$625
$400 Xbox 360 20GB
+ $100 Wireless Adapter
+ $50/yr 1 Year Live
+ $200 HD DVD Drive with Remote
Total --------------$750

So everyone saying PS3's more expensive, Shut the hell up and compare when they're EQUAL! You can't compare without adding the HD DVD Drive or Live because PS3's BluRay and free online is there.

8716.5.2011 05:24

People who traded in there ps3 for a xbox or whatever else, because of the psn being down it's just really sad

8816.5.2011 08:03

Blah blah blah... I've been reading that same boring crap for years. Wallowing in detail and deliberately missing the overview.

PS3 cost more because of all the stuff they put inside....
Yeah, like a friggen G adapter.

Quote:
...Your saying about being able to play a game to it's fullest right off the shelf doesn't work. You can't expect to buy a house and be provided with utilities for the rest of your life free of charge....
I never said that!!! Are you even paying attention?

Quote:
...So everyone saying PS3's more expensive...

I never meant that. Again, I'm talking about the big picture obviously. I'm not going to entertain you by going over hardware minutiae the value of which ultimately ends up being subjective.

Both of you studiously ignore the fact new games are about 10% more expensive on a PS3. Then yous, including Oner, insist that the PSN is "free"..... I'm not saying either platform is better value than the other... just get real.

=======================================================================================
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 May 2011 @ 8:10

8916.5.2011 10:09

Both of you studiously ignore the fact new games are about 10% more expensive on a PS3. Then yous, including Oner, insist that the PSN is "free"..... I'm not saying either platform is better value than the other... just get real.

I'm missing something here? Last time I checked both Xbox 360 and PS3 games are $59.99. Am I really paying 10% more for PS3 games? I think Xbox 360 games should be 10% less since the discs are not even blu-ray (I got one of my Kinect games scratched the other day when somebody moved the console a bit, the game is not playable now).

9016.5.2011 11:58

You're right!!

I just checked the EB (US) site and new cross platform games are the same price.

Well, in oz they are x360 = $100 and PS3 = $110.

How kind of them when our dollar is worth over $1.05 US atm. (American disks will not play in Oz.)

S'why I'm buying m4 SSDs direct from Crucial in the states.

I stand corrected Gnawnivek... as far as the USA is concerned anyway.

PS: Had you copied that kinnect game to HDD?

_________________________________________________________________________________

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 May 2011 @ 12:02

9116.5.2011 12:19

You're right!!

I just checked the EB (US) site and new cross platform games are the same price.

Well, in oz they are x360 = $100 and PS3 = $110.

How kind of them when our dollar is worth over $1.05 US atm. (American disks will not play in Oz.)

S'why I'm buying m4 SSDs direct from Crucial in the states.

I stand corrected Gnawnivek... as far as the USA is concerned anyway.

PS: Had you copied that kinnect game to HDD?

_________________________________________________________________________________
I see your points now :) No, I don't copy any of my Xbox 360 games to hdd, I guess I should start learning how to do that, lol. I could return the Kinect Sport game to Best Buy, but I can't find the receipt. I might have to buy a used copy, I just need to be more careful next time.

9216.5.2011 12:35

Gnawn,

mate, it's really easy to do, takes about 15 mins and so worth it.

If you copy your game to the HDD then it no longer spins in the optical drive after a verify.... saving power, less heat, less noise and much faster loading times.

Also it's safer for the disk :) and you extend the life of the optical drive.

As I recall, off the top of my head, just hit Y on the game icon and select save to hard drive. After that you can just hit A to load it.

You can manage it under the memory options under settings.

9316.5.2011 13:40

I know it's not new to some, but I learned something new today, thanks Jem!

9416.5.2011 14:15

I know it's not new to some, but I learned something new today, thanks Jem!
No worries.

Forgot to mention, in case you don't know, you can leave any number of games on the HDD, but you must insert the relevant disk into the Optical drive (ODD) so it can be verified before you can play it.

9516.5.2011 14:33

I guess I really don't have to answer/explain everything as it seems it was already done by most of the above posters but I will anyway to point them out to show something. Examples ~

DXR88 explained about how the cost of LIVE! is unruly and not proverbially "$20 a month" so I am not "perpetuating ANY "myth" ~ Thank You DXR88

core2kid explained about how the actual cost of a 360 vs a PS3 works out to be ~ Thank You core2kid

Gnawnivek explained about your comment "Mony" charging 10% more for it's games ~ Thank You Gnawnivek

I will also add that it is common knowledge (just because YOU don't know that doesn't mean it isn't true) that LIVE! runs primarily off a peer to peer network while a greater majority of PS Network games are client - server based. Now that is not to say ALL the online PS games are that way. Think about it, how is it possible to have games like Warhawk with 32 players, Resistance - 40 players, Resistance 2 - 60 players on the PS3 vs games like Gears 1 which was 4 on 4 or Halo that maxes out at what 16 players? That is the provable difference between the 360's P2P based service & the PS3's dedicated server based service. I guess you have also forgotten how broken Gears 1 & 2 was online too huh because of non-dedicated servers of which is the reason why Gears 3 is reported to have dedicated servers this time around. Just more proof.

But out of all of this what I find insanely odd is how you question what I say about the lack of dedicated servers but yet DXR88 was the first to actually say it. Your post #48 brought up the cost of LIVE! and DXR's post immediately after it #49 was the first to explain the non dedicated server or P2P issue in conjunction with the cost of LIVE!. Only to then specifically point out what I said in agreement to DXR's comment about the cost of the WiFi Adapter of which I forgot. You specifically question me and not him when he brought it up both times? Why is that? You know what ~ don't answer. I KNOW WHY. We have been down this road too many times and you are boring me with your same old tired game.

Thank You all who pointed out the glaring inconsistencies and misinformation of which I did not have to explain. It just shows/proves that I am not the only one to see it.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 May 2011 @ 2:35

9617.5.2011 02:43
aine07
Unverified new user

Oner, I thank you fro your clear explanations. I always learn something from your posts :)

I like Gnawni, pretty cool nick. I have nothing else to add to PS3 wifi, G or N or whatever. All I know is that my Xbox is wired because it doesn't have wifi build in (can I say "sucks?"). My PS3 picks up the router signals fine in the basement, 100% strength too. But yeah, the router signal is reduced to 50% or less when I go to the 2nd floor (router is on the first floor). Anyhow, I'm not like most other people, I turn my router off when I go to sleep(conserve energy, lol).

And oh yeah, I refuse to pay to game online either. If I bought the game, I should be able to use everything described on the box. I'm not saying Live is not good, I'm saying I shouldn't have to pay to game online. As for other features, chatting or what not, that's entirely up to the consumers.

Bottom line is, PSN is free and I will stick to it as long as it's free :)
I was reading all of your posts and i just wanted to add my little bit to the discussion. I personally know people who work for microsoft and can tell you from experience with that company that they pay thousands of people to to provide customer support for all functions of their networks.This does not include the people who monitor the servers to spot and prevent identity theft or hacking of accounts.This refers directly to those people who were trained extensively to understand the xbox( all versions ) and all of its applications in order to assist customers in navigating the system. These people are monitored for nothing more than what quality of service they provide to the customer and how well they identified the issue and got it resolved. No internet based service can be 100 percent all of the time, but in terms of real effort on the part of a company to privide an awesome experience to its customers and do it with the most secure network they can, and in america i might add, for those of us in america seeing a shortage of jobs, and also internationally. I dont know about what represents value to you, but for me the ability to feel confident that i can call someone who is trained to help me and will provide me with help to use the technology i may or may not understand matters and i am willing to pay for it if i want to access the features available.
no business is out there for free, and if you want quality techs you train and pay them. and as far as how it stacks up to the competition, I honestly dont know. I am a PC gamer primarily and love my mmos. But if im hanging out with my husband and kids the hands free, no controller required, voice and face recognizing kinect is amazing and has brought us hours of fun. just realize that value has many faces and if you are a hardcore gamer who understands his network but needs help with some small issue prventing play, he can get competent help. so for that matter can the non technical mom trying to give her kids a fun time.

9718.5.2011 10:22

Your unctuous thanking of other members is laughably pathetic Oner.

I dealt with them in my own way, without your 2 cents.

In post #52 I had directly addressed Dexter on a matter of his opinion, his replies did not have the aggressive tone you imply.

I singled both of you out over those remarks about the adapter. Just because I quoted you did not mean I did not do this.

I disagree with Core2 in regards to assessment of the initial value of the respective consoles... I explained that I consider this to be personally subjective, regardless of your opinion... and we've discussed this before. And the subject has been/is dealt with ad nauseum on the web for years.

You're mistaking good-natured adopted adversarial arguing as hostility.

As far as Gnawn goes he displayed far more maturity when I freely admitted I was wrong in the case of the USA, at least I can cheerfully do this. He did not crow on and on... and on about it like a five year old.

Not even the imitable Good Game over the years has implied that the PSN is superior in performance to LIVE (no matter how many gamers are on it at once). As the Queen's Champion I expect this from you.

(You already know I think international LIVE is crappy enough from an Aussie perspective anyway. At least you Yanks qualify for the reach-around that we rightfully also deserve, from both companies, considering we pay TWICE as much for for new games. Of course I'm outraged.)

But to whine about me asking for some simple evidence of this "common knowledge" when YOU do this all the time is the height... "Wah, wah, you're picking on me!".

Na, judging from the usual tendentious wall-o-text I don't think you're bored with it at all... I think you love it. LOL

9818.5.2011 12:37

blah blah blah nonsensical text
My point was made and I have nothing more to say since it was made perfectly clear. I am happy with that. So while you can try and make all the excuses you want, it won't change the fact your inconsistencies were called out by others just as I saw them. Done.

9919.5.2011 12:13

blah blah blah nonsensical text
My point was made and I have nothing more to say since it was made perfectly clear. I am happy with that. So while you can try and make all the excuses you want, it won't change the fact your inconsistencies were called out by others just as I saw them. Done.
What-ever edited.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 May 2011 @ 12:41

10019.5.2011 13:45
YoJembo01
Inactive

Multiple account post edited to uphold original banning.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 May 2011 @ 9:28

10127.5.2011 20:35

to all who are mad at sony. please turn them in and all your used games. i cant wait to get dirt3 for 19.99 cause they have 50 used copies.sony got hacked. so what. its online what did you expect. i play every once in a while. my best friend moved to arizona and that was the only way we could play obviously but you wont see me doubting sony. see its already been said YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! MS will be more secure sure but guess what your paying for that security. if psn started charging for there services then they could hire more people and be quicker to fix the bugs. but ya know i enjoy my ps3 with or without psn and can keep my kills up by playing the campaigns(you know the true meaning of video games)there are goals and everything its kinda amazing. especially ps3 exclusives like the gt series, sorry that is my favorite games. i had a 360 in my possesion for a year before i got my ps3 plyed forza 1&2 and does not compare at all to the realism of gt series.sorry im rambling but making a true honest voice in support of sony. just be patient and save your selfs some money or hurry sell so i canbuy cheap accys. oh and maybe find a cheap bc unit.lol

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive