AfterDawn: Tech news

Samsung ready to show off 10-inch tablet display with 2560 x 1600 resolution

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 13 May 2011 12:38 User comments (2)

Samsung ready to show off 10-inch tablet display with 2560 x 1600 resolution Samsung will show off their upcoming 300dpi WQXGA PenTile RGBW prototype tablet display at next week's SID Display 2011 conference, says the company.
The impressive 10.1-inch LCD display will have 2560 x 1600 resolution.

Pixel density is 300dpi meaning the resolution will fit in the definition of "Retina Display," as defined by Apple.

Says the company in the press release:

Samsung’s PenTile display technology is the only display technology that operates at 40 percent less power yet provides twice that of Full HD-viewing performance for consumers compared to legacy RGB stripe LCDs. There is no other commercial display technology on the market today that offers this high of a resolution and pixel density in a 10.1-inch size display.

A few more highlights from the tablet display:

-This 10.1-inch tablet panel is capable of 300 cd/m2 of luminance, yet uses 40 percent less power than that used by legacy RGB stripe LCDs in power-saving modes.

-An outdoor brightness mode of as much as 600 cd/m2 luminance enables viewing in bright ambient lighting.

-The display’s color gamut is 72 percent., allowing greater color realism than legacy RGB stripe tablet displays that have a typical color gamut of 55 percent NTSC.

-PenTile technology achieves 300 dpi resolution with two-thirds the number of subpixels, maintaining the VESA/ICDM display resolution standard.

Previous Next  

2 user comments

113.5.2011 13:47

I hope the 1080i price is much cheaper when this new one comes out.

Edit, thought it says HDTV . HAHA

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 May 2011 @ 1:48

214.5.2011 18:21

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
I hope the 1080i price is much cheaper when this new one comes out.

Edit, thought it says HDTV . HAHA
Either way, i think the same basic technology goes into much of all the displays one way or another, and this advancement can't hurt HDTV too. I'm most excited to see OLED displays starting to come of age.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive