1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a Good Bose System Substitute?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by marcodvd, May 14, 2011.

1. marcodvd

marcodvd Member

I really want a Bose home theatre but it's freaking expensive, with other cheaper brands around anyone knows what other options we have out there?
    Thanks

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Anything. I'm not joking.
    In the world of home theater, Bose is very much frowned upon. You don't get anything even near what you pay for. Go to any home theater forum, and search for Bose, and see what folks in the know thinks of Bose. Here is some good reading in the meantime.
    http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html
    Click on the links in the article too. Enjoy.

3. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

There was a time in the '70's when Bose was a decent setup. Now Bose is an overpriced name.

Best thing to do is read reviews from Consumers report and the like. You can find a home theater system that costs 1/4 the price of something with the Bose logo stamped on the front.

I have a Denon 3805 7 channel 125wX7 which is overkill. Aperion speakers. Front L,R center Rear surround 2 back surround and a 12" sub.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/home.aspx
    http://usa.denon.com/us/pages/home.aspx

The system is ~ 4 years old. Only in and outputs, Truesound and DVI-D > HDMI have changed. I use an Adapter DVI-I>HDMI, optical or COAX (RG-59) audio outputs. It's hard to improve on a good amp and speakers.
    Jeff

4. Basenco

Basenco Regular member

The first thing that is important is to establish your budget. With no budget set, you'll go crazy trying to find a system to please you as you'll be reading this and that which can really take you out of your spending limits.

Me myself, I purchased pre-owned equipment which saved me thousands of dollars and i've ended up with a top notch system. Take your time and check around at stores for clearance items, ebay, audiogon. When you see a piece that you like, write down the model number and then search using the model number to see what prices the unit is being sold for. It will take some time but you can make out very good doing it that way.

Here's my current system:
    Lexicon MC-8 Surround Processor - used $475.00 (retail = approx. $4000.00)
    Rotel RMB-1095 - 5 channel amp x 200 a channel - used $700.00 (retail = approx. $1900.00)
    Paradigm Studio 100's fronts with matching Center and Surrounds - used $1000.00 (retail = approx. $4500.00)
    Mirage BPS-400 Subwoofer - used $400.00 (retail = approx. $1500.00)
    Oppo BDP-83 Blu Ray Player - new $499.00
    Pioneer Elite Pro-141FD 60" Plasma - used $2200.00 (retail = approx. $7000.00)
    Audio Control 7 Channel THX Eq - used $100.00 (retail = approx. $1000.00)

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  5. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

B. Buy

O. Other

S. Sound

E. Equipment