1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saorsat in Ireland....total disgrace. Gangsters at work!!

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by menace404, Jun 22, 2011.

1. menace404

menace404 Member

Saorsat is now available in Ireland. They have test feeds running on the following satellite at 9degrees East:

http://www.lyngsat.com/eka.html

But as you can see from the set-up, they have created it so that you need to purchase all completely new hardware. This is a disgrace. You will need a different LNB on your dish to work in the circular polarisation of L and R instead of the standard european linear polarisation V and H like the rest of fecking europe. This means you will not be able to use your typical sky dish even if you manuvour it to 9degrees east. Someone has royally stitched up the Irish public here....some backhanders from RTE me thinks to get the contracts through.

2. geek22

geek22 Member

Its only going to to be real tight footprint so as to just about cover the whole of Ireland and not beyond no matter what size of dish and only via HD sat receiver.It requires a KA lnb which is being manuafactured specialy for Saorsat.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  3. menace404

menace404 Member

what do you mean....are you saying the circular polarity signal can be picked up using a typical linear polarity (sky tv) lnb on the dish???

4. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

I posted about it a while back, its a seperate sat and also different equipment to pick it up, but if you use a combi box you will pick the chans up using a domestic aerial, hanger, powered arial etc, the sat bit for those who cant pick up a signal using an aerial

5. e45

e45 Regular member

Get a Dreambox and go full sat with a line you wont be disappointed and you will receive all the channels not just the FTA ones

6. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

saorview as mickah says works perfectly fine with terrestrial ariel as compared to sat dish. e45, there is no need to push folk into illegal activity when they can get a signal perfectly legally

7. e45

e45 Regular member

ya but they wont get other channels and if they have to buy this box they might as well go the sat route they will get a lot more FTA with that box than they will with the other one its only advice they dont have to take it and its not illegal to use a dreambox for FTA channels they dont need to purchase a gift do they !!

8. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

The Combi gives both, all terrestrial and FTA chans all free including HD chans such as bbc. itv etc, plus its Lan enabled and a PVR, so am sure you cn add more to it

9. menace404

menace404 Member

i do have a dreambox, with a motorised dish any everything to move the sat to 9 degrees east and its fantastic but mostly what i want is rte hd2 (for the high def gaa etc because these events are not on any other sat channels) but my tv is not soarview mpeg4 enabled so i was hopiing the sat feed would be somewhat the same. now i find out that the lnb on my dish is no good for the rte feed of 9 degrees east. why couldnt they make it the same??? Of course, we all know why they didnt do it the same as the rest of europe....

10. e45

e45 Regular member

Because they want to confine the map to Ireland only otherwise they would all be able to receive it

11. cactikid

cactikid Active member

it may be a spot beam they were going to use which just about does ireland,but have heard rumors about the cost of it so maybe they may not go down that route,as said before combo box and an aerial and away you go,nice to have rte2hd.

12. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Aye, its different LNBs etc, sat pointed at the relevent direction, for me its a white elephant in the room on the sat side of things and its only to comply with the digital switchover, some parts or Ire may not get a signal from the terrestrial masts, so Sat is there to provide, but I have seen the RTE chans in DTT on a combi, look good

13. menace404

menace404 Member

It does look good. So........it seems, no matter what avenue you take, theres going to be a hefty cost in obtaining this saorview/saorsat service. Whether its a new tv with saorview mpeg4 tuner built in, new set-top box, a new aerial for the roof if needed, new lnb for the sat dish, motor to move the dish to 9degrees east.
    At a time when money is tight, RTE and the boyo's didn't really think this through did they. They probably looked at the cheapest option for them to set-up but not the cheapest option for the consumer (both in terms of licence fee and equipment). Lining their and the retails pockets me thinks!!
    Still, in my opinion, the lot of them are monkeys. Surely there was a much more generic and cheaper way to go about this whole DTT set-up.

14. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

depending where you live, but a combi box is about 170 euros and thats SAT and DTT combined, so not a huge cost to say the least, there is a bt of a con going on with aeriels also, and what you will get FTA on this is about the same as a basic pack from UPC, the sat side of Soarview is a pile of crap as its the same as its terrestrial service, RTE didnt drive this, Europe did and its the same in Europe, digital roll out, but as there is overspill here, the narrow beam Sat service was the only way to go

15. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i went with a combo hd box as i like recording on an external hard drive with the bonus of a near perfect picture on hd channels,once off payment of 150 euro for box and 18e for aerial indoor until i connect up to aerial in attic.

16. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Aye, so there you go, low cost, HD, PVR all irish chans and sta FTA chans as a basic,