AfterDawn: Tech news

BitTorrent to launch premium µTorrent Plus

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 27 Jul 2011 4:36 User comments (8)

BitTorrent to launch premium µTorrent Plus BitTorrent has said today that they will release a premium version of the popular µTorrent client, dubbed µTorrent Plus.
The company did not say how much they will charge for the torrent client, but did say it would not supplant the free offering, which will continue to see the "same level of commitment and development" as it does currently.

Not all of the details are clear yet, but BT says Plus is built for those that need a "single solution" for finding content on the web, and playing it on any number of devices.

µTorrent, in its free variation, is now up to version 3.0, which added over 20 new features. BitTorrent and µTorrent have 100 million monthly users.

If you are interested in Plus, you can keep with updates here: uTorrent Plus.

Previous Next  

8 user comments

127.7.2011 17:21

Perhaps a VPN service built into the premium version....Whatever the case, it better be good if they want people to BUY it.

227.7.2011 17:42

Originally posted by ivymike:
Perhaps a VPN service built into the premium version....Whatever the case, it better be good if they want people to BUY it.
I can see it now, Utorrent+plus+Cracked_Windowz_RIAA~TPB~

with @ least 200 seeds.

327.7.2011 18:41

so true, charge money for a client that is used to get free content. it will be cracked if people are (un)willing to pay for the app.

427.7.2011 20:40

Originally posted by sssharp:
so true, charge money for a client that is used to get free content. it will be cracked if people are (un)willing to pay for the app.
HAHA so true

527.7.2011 23:39

The difference might be that some material will sit on a dedicated server like newsbins & all kinds of SSL encryption will be used. Otherwise I don't see this being of any other worthwhile use. It's just another P2P with little else to offer.

Another platform for me to rant my already redundant diatribe on.

628.7.2011 01:13

They are probably trying to do the same thing that Napster tried to do...introducing music and video that you have to pay for. I'm sure it will work just as well as Napster's attempt.

728.7.2011 02:44

This is EXACTLY what Azureus tried to do...Azureus was a good BT client but then they changed it's name to VUZE and tried offering more ''legit'' offerings. They even had a USB version which you had to pay for.

I don't know if these were successful or not. You don't hear much about the Vuze-To-Go USB dongle now do you?

85.8.2011 18:49

i would think the paid version is going to go down the alley of getting around ISP blocks and of the like...

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive