AfterDawn: Tech news

Upcoming Motorola Droid HD to have 720p resolution?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 17 Aug 2011 1:48 User comments (5)

Upcoming Motorola Droid HD to have 720p resolution? Leaked photos of the Motorola Droid HD have surfaced this week.
The Droid HD, true to its name, will have a large 4.5-inch screen and a 720p resolution (1280x720), the largest yet seen on a smartphone.

Motorola's new "superphone" will run a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 8MP standard camera with LED flash, a fron-side camera for video chatting, a microUSB and an HDMI port.

Google recently purchased Motorola Mobility (the smartphone and tablet division) of the company for $12.5 billion including all of MM's patents and $3 billion in cash.

The company says it made the purchase to protect itself from a slew of patent lawsuits brought by Oracle and Microsoft amongst others.

Leaked pics via TCM:

Previous Next  

5 user comments

117.8.2011 23:03

I really hope google didn't just buy motorola for the patents; motorola is my favorite phone hardware maker, and I want to see one of these phones with a keyboard and LTE...and a triple core.

218.8.2011 20:34
oappi
Inactive

Even if google did by motorola just for patents it doesn't mean that they would want to kill the brand... i my self am proud owner of galaxy s, but most likely my next phone will have physical keyboard, and imho motorola at least at the moment makes best physical keyboard android phones.

BTW i think it is bit strange that you mention how much MM had cash, but don't mention anything about things like MM´s debt which is kind of important if you want to determine value of the company... I found some article that mentioned Motorola having ~$3B debt at the end of 2010, but thats whole motorola, and nothing says google got them when they bought MM.

318.8.2011 22:52

Originally posted by oappi:
Even if google did by motorola just for patents it doesn't mean that they would want to kill the brand... i my self am proud owner of galaxy s, but most likely my next phone will have physical keyboard, and imho motorola at least at the moment makes best physical keyboard android phones.

BTW i think it is bit strange that you mention how much MM had cash, but don't mention anything about things like MM´s debt which is kind of important if you want to determine value of the company... I found some article that mentioned Motorola having ~$3B debt at the end of 2010, but thats whole motorola, and nothing says google got them when they bought MM.
MM had $98 million in debts as of the last quarter, an insignificant amount and not worth reporting. Motorola Solutions has a bit over $2 billion in debt, also an insignificant amount compared to their cash hoard and also not relevant since they didn't get bought up :)

419.8.2011 14:48
m3incorp
Inactive

Hmm let's see, the Motorola Droid Bionic was announced in January 2011 and now not expected to show until sometime hopefully in September. Does that mean that we will be seeing the Droid HD summer 2012?

519.8.2011 21:33

almost 13 billion is a high price to pay for a hardware making company to just squash future production.

google has talked about getting into the hardware market before. now they did in a big way.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive