AfterDawn: Tech news

PS Vita will indeed have 512MB RAM

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 18 Aug 2011 1:58 User comments (19)

PS Vita will indeed have 512MB RAM

Sony has released the final specs for its PlayStation Vita handheld, and it appears that despite the rumors, the console will have 512MB RAM.
The Vita will run on an ARM Cortex A9 quad-core processor and be powered by a quad-core PowerVR SGX543MP4+ GPU.

Featuring a 5-inch capacitive multitouch OLED screen (with 16 million colors), the device will be 7.16 by 0.73 by 3.28 inches.

Despite rumors that Sony would skimp out on RAM, the Vita has 512MB memory and 128MB VRAM in its graphics processor.

The rear camera will be capable of 60fps and 640x480 resolution or 120fps at 320x240 resolution.

Sony says the Vita will playback MP3, AAC, WAV (Linear PCM) files and MPEG-4 video including H.264 AVC encodings in high, main, or baseline profiles.

Prices $250 for Wi-Fi-only, $300 for 3G, and a 2012 launch date in U.S. and Europe.

Previous Next  

19 user comments

118.8.2011 15:36

This may be outdated by cell phones by then lol.

218.8.2011 15:58

See how silly it is to whine and moan about RUMORS???

318.8.2011 17:57

my phone has 1gb ram...really sony? how cheap can you get?

418.8.2011 18:22

Originally posted by Mysttic:
This may be outdated by cell phones by then lol.
It already is outdated. Wtf are you smoking?

518.8.2011 18:59

this will be a day one for me some great games being made for it. they made great games with the little ram on the first PSP so this will be loads better.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Aug 2011 @ 7:00

618.8.2011 19:55

Originally posted by Hyasuma:

Does your phone also have a quadcore processor and dedicated GPU?

718.8.2011 20:00

@Hyasuma how much money does your 1 gig phone cost in the shops to buy without a contract?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Aug 2011 @ 8:02

818.8.2011 22:16

YAY! now games can look shiner while sucking more!

919.8.2011 00:38

Originally posted by escalante:

Nope...but my phone does make phone calls, something that Sony refuses to add to any of their mobile playstations.

Overall, the NGP looks good. If it were made by almost any other company, I would preorder one...but since it is Sony, the only way I can buy one is if they are hackable, and if Sony is losing money on every unit they sell.

1019.8.2011 01:53

Humm.I dont expect it.

1119.8.2011 05:34

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:

broaden your scopes man, 512MB is that much more room for programs to be written for after its hacked.

1219.8.2011 05:53

Originally posted by DXR88:

broaden your scopes man, 512MB is that much more room for programs to be written for after its hacked.
I honestly have to wonder if anyone will bother. I mean, I understand why people keep fighting the PS3 battle...it was intentionally sold to hackers and developers (OtherOS was a selling feature...I don't care what Sony says or if it was on the box or not...it was the deciding factor in me buying the PS3 instead of the 360). But at this point, everyone knows that Sony is evil...and only their loyal, anti-hacking fanboys will be buying from them. Given that these are the same people who come out to throw eggs at hackers, and that they don't use CFWs, why would hackers bother to make CFWs for them? It would be like giving a gift to someone who hates you, just to have them throw it away....and the few fanboys that would actually use CFW would only use it for piracy.

1319.8.2011 06:26

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Originally posted by DXR88:

I honestly have to wonder if anyone will bother. I mean, I understand why people keep fighting the PS3 battle...it was intentionally sold to hackers and developers (OtherOS was a selling feature...I don't care what Sony says or if it was on the box or not...it was the deciding factor in me buying the PS3 instead of the 360). But at this point, everyone knows that Sony is evil...and only their loyal, anti-hacking fanboys will be buying from them. Given that these are the same people who come out to throw eggs at hackers, and that they don't use CFWs, why would hackers bother to make CFWs for them? It would be like giving a gift to someone who hates you, just to have them throw it away....and the few fanboys that would actually use CFW would only use it for piracy.
I don't think all the people that take up the hobby of reverse programing think like that, if they did our innovations would be limited to the narrow minds and fat wallets of the suits. besides imagine how pissed off Sony would be to have yet another PSP hacked to hell, that alone would be due compensation.

1419.8.2011 10:57

Nope...but my phone does make phone calls, something that Sony refuses to add to any of their mobile playstations.

Overall, the NGP looks good. If it were made by almost any other company, I would preorder one...but since it is Sony, the only way I can buy one is if they are hackable, and if Sony is losing money on every unit they sell.
Oh wow, just wow... Do you need 1G memory to make phone calls?

1519.8.2011 12:01

this site is a bit childish with some of the comments you can tell it is pure anti Sony BS.

1619.8.2011 14:34

Originally posted by Gnawnivek:

Oh wow, just wow... Do you need 1G memory to make phone calls?

It just compensates for being too small 'elsewhere.' ;-)

1719.8.2011 15:50

lol, zippy, u never cease to kill me! xxD

1819.8.2011 16:33

It would be like giving a gift to someone who hates you, just to have them throw it away....and the few fanboys that would actually use CFW would only use it for piracy.
I use my CFW to get features that the OFW doesn't support, like screenshots in-game and cheat codes.

Also, the public seems to have this impression that CFWs are vastly different than their OFW counterparts, which isn't true. PROcfw for instance, looks exactly like the OFW.

1923.8.2011 05:52
ps3lvanub
Inactive

I am getting this handheld.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive