AfterDawn: Tech news

Chrome passes Firefox in market share, for a day

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 20 Oct 2011 2:24 User comments (2)

Chrome passes Firefox in market share, for a day According to a note from research firm StatCounter, Google Chrome managed to pass Firefox as the second most used browser last Sunday.
Globally, Chrome took a 26.22 percent share compared to Firefox's 26.16.

The spike did only last a day, however, and Chrome is on pace to move to 24.85 percent share for the month of October, while Firefox falls slightly to 26.68.

Perhaps most notably is the fact that StatCounter says Internet Explorer has fallen under 40 percent for the first time ever, to 39.99 percent.

Just like with all browsers, the market share for Chrome is different on all continents. In North America it sits at just above 20 percent share while in South America it is just under 41 percent share.

Previous Next  

2 user comments

121.10.2011 14:32

Regretably I'm already in the "process" of leaving Firefox as my primary browser. Even though I've used Firefox for years. It's early evolution was great and a much better replacement for MS iexplorer.
Unfortunately Firefox's new strategy of releases and incompatibility with Google toolbar and problems with roboform, and problems with CPU usage... I am sadly forced into exploring other options.
Google Chrome seems to be the best option at this point.

222.10.2011 04:38

Unfortunately FireFox sucks these days so like you I'm using Iron instead (Chrome alternative). I can't say that it is great either as Avant browser is much better but it's two down falls is no plugin support for AdBlockPlus and no spell checker otherwise it rules over all other browsers.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive