1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satellite Navigation

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DPM, Oct 27, 2011.

1. DPM

DPM Member

I recently bought a new Garmin Sat Nav as my old model died. I have a lifetime updater account with Garmin, but when I tried to update the new one I was requested to purchase a new lifetime account. Is there any way around this as I assumed that if I had a lifetime account it should cover me for any Garmin I use.
    That was the reason why I decided to purchase Garmin again. What they as saying is that if I had 2 or 3 cars in the family and Sat Navs in each I would have to purchase 2 or 3 seperate accounts.That to me is a complete ripoff. Any help out there

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I would think that you bought the lifetime updates for a single Sat Nav that you purchased, and if you want it for other Sat Navs you purchased, then you have to purchase the lifetime updates for those, too.

What does it say on the Garmin website?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. DPM

DPM Member

Hi GrandpaBW I havent checked Garmin site yet will get back to you and lat you know

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Have a little experience of these things from a few years back, though I'm going to admit it was more Nokia based.

Look carefully (good searching needed) and you will find an application which can be used to patch and then upload tom-tom maps to your garmin.. This method works for other region maps also, but be prepared to do a bit of direct file editing if required.. http://www.haklabs.com/2011/garmin-2012-map-update/ .. read carefully.. and if you need different region maps you will have to find them yourself ok?.. the procedure is exactly the same.

It's possible to use tom-tom and openmap project maps on the garmin, but again a bit of hacking is required which I'm not no way going to discuss where people are listening ;)