AfterDawn: Tech news

Rumor: 'Xbox Next' will be based on ARM and Windows 9

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 07 Nov 2011 1:38 User comments (18)

Rumor: 'Xbox Next' will be based on ARM and Windows 9 According to the latest "rumors and tips," the next generation Xbox gaming console will be smaller, cheaper and be based on ARM processors and the Windows 9 operating system.
The rumor comes via blogger "MSNerd":

With a heady mix of rumors, tips and speculation, I am now stating that Xbox codename "loop" (the erstwhile XboxTV) will indeed debut a modified Win9 core. It will use a Zune HD-like hardware platform- a "main" processor with multiple dedicated assistive cores for graphics, AI, physics, sound, networking, encryption and sensors. It will be custom designed by Microsoft and two partners based on the ARM architecture. It will be cheaper than the 360, further enabling Kinect adoption. And it will be far smaller than the 360. It will also demonstrate how Windows Phone could possible implement Win9's dev platform on the lower end.

MSNerd has provided early and accurate information on Microsoft's defunct Courier and the Kin.

Previous Next  

18 user comments

17.11.2011 14:15

I wonder why people starting rumors when W8 not even out yet. Also, the next console isn't going to be cheaper haha ... next gen consoles will always cost the same or cost more but never cheaper unless they release the one with 4gb hard drive just like the 199.99 360 console.

27.11.2011 14:20

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
I wonder why people starting rumors when W8 not even out yet. Also, the next console isn't going to be cheaper haha ... next gen consoles will always cost the same or cost more but never cheaper unless they release the one with 4gb hard drive just like the 199.99 360 console.
You have hit it on the head...there will probably be no hard drive in the next generation consoles. Hell, there might not even be discs...

37.11.2011 14:45

So they are making a WII?

47.11.2011 15:55

No need for any kind of optical drive by 2013 and if they can pull off multi Screen then I'm all in for the next console. Graphics can only take you so far into immersion without something like head tracking or multi screen. PC Gaming is taking off while console gaming is staying the same. Only alternative to trip screen is the HMZ-T1 with head tracking.

57.11.2011 17:58

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
wii uses discs still

67.11.2011 19:08

If they get rid of physical media, I probably won't be a gamer anymore. There's no way I'm paying $60+ dollars for something I don't get an actual hard copy of. I'm not gonna rely on a hard drive or anything else to store my 100+ games. Can you imagine if your system died, hard drive crashed, etc... Yeah, you may be able to re-download, but what a pain. Not to mention, I just don't think they're gonna get rid of physical media any time soon. There's plenty of people who don't have internet or don't have good internet. They'd be losing a lot of money by not selling actual games, in store.

77.11.2011 20:22

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
wii uses discs still
I doubt they will dump discs.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Nov 2011 @ 8:23

87.11.2011 22:28

I think it will be discs and media downloads like how they have few games like that now. Example, Black Ops you can just download it and also can get it in hardcopy

98.11.2011 07:58

Originally posted by Joe_1981:
If they get rid of physical media, I probably won't be a gamer anymore. There's no way I'm paying $60+ dollars for something I don't get an actual hard copy of. I'm not gonna rely on a hard drive or anything else to store my 100+ games. Can you imagine if your system died, hard drive crashed, etc... Yeah, you may be able to re-download, but what a pain. Not to mention, I just don't think they're gonna get rid of physical media any time soon. There's plenty of people who don't have internet or don't have good internet. They'd be losing a lot of money by not selling actual games, in store.
I subscribe to Onlive. While I must say they have a lot of work to do and your bandwidth has to be spot on, the concept is the future. I can see the xbox going all 3 routes. Online for older titles, HDD for titles that take a long time to load and Optical media for the unfortunate jackholes that move on with the times. While optical media will probably be around for a long time I can't foresee consoles needing them for more than possible backup and repair purposes. As far as security is concerned, these options are good for keeping jokers from ripping them off. As long as they want to connect to live they will have to stay legit. Also it will cut down on production and shipping cost which means that they SHOULD pass on the savings to us.
I work for a company that is 95% virtual. With the proper setup and a serious IT dept video gaming can be taken to a whole new level. Telecommunications will have to step their game up.

108.11.2011 10:38

Originally posted by Joe_1981:
Or one other scenario without getting physical media... Say you buy a game and it's in your "digital locker", and all the game you purchase are in there... At some point your account expires and you don't renew it. Possibly busy with work or as some other in a bad economy like this need to pay for other things first. After some time you now want to re-activate you account, some might remember there password, but some will forget and lose not only there old account but all the software titles they purchased. Only solution i would see people would be forced to maintain active XB0X L1ve accounts...?

Yep no physical media is a pretty bad idea.

118.11.2011 11:41

Its jut to soon to take a large platform to online only, MS's new system will do a bit of everything relying on discs for the backbone of their sales.

128.11.2011 11:54

Its jut to soon to take a large platform to online only, MS's new system will do a bit of everything relying on discs for the backbone of their sales.
Too soon if they haven't started working on it already. But even if they start today it would be a matter of time for full conversion if they designed the machine correctly. And with the direction that supercomputing is going, it would be nothing for it to be handled in the next few years. Use GPUs to do all the calculations instead of cpus and this project can take a serious turn within 2 years. They have the money to invest.

139.11.2011 13:06

Funny how media and software publishers and developers are moving in a positive direction and ISP's are moving in the exact opposite direction, both at the worst possible time. ISP's like comcast and AT&T are charging by the GB (after a certain amount) and pubs/devs are making the consumer dependent on them.

1411.11.2011 15:10

There's no way MS could be clueless enough to make a "digital-only" console.

With broadband providers getting more aggressive about bandwidth caps and a majority of potential users still using subpar isp's, MS would be limiting their potential sales.

1511.11.2011 15:39

The point is they aren't clueless, and they would want it. Frist it will be much harder to pirate stuff as you won't have everything. Second companies could change the internal encryption key on the fly to sure you are a valid customer... Next, nearly no extra cost for shipping or cost for media. There are more reason why companies would want it such as if you for some reason hit some hardship and you account is deactivated and you forget you password and/or change credit cards you'll need to purchase another copy...? Sure the percentage of this happening to people is small but it is there. I honestly don't see any drawback for a company to go totally digital, every issue i've seen raised it would favor them and be desirable...

Don't get me wrong, i'm really on your side i believe, i'm one that would be hard pressed to purchase anything if i don't get a hard copy of the media like most others i feel here are as well. I simply don't see any compelling reason for companies not to go the way of digital only :(

1611.11.2011 17:47

Originally posted by SomeBozo:
The point is they aren't clueless, and they would want it. Frist it will be much harder to pirate stuff as you won't have everything. Second companies could change the internal encryption key on the fly to sure you are a valid customer... Next, nearly no extra cost for shipping or cost for media. There are more reason why companies would want it such as if you for some reason hit some hardship and you account is deactivated and you forget you password and/or change credit cards you'll need to purchase another copy...? Sure the percentage of this happening to people is small but it is there. I honestly don't see any drawback for a company to go totally digital, every issue i've seen raised it would favor them and be desirable...

Don't get me wrong, i'm really on your side i believe, i'm one that would be hard pressed to purchase anything if i don't get a hard copy of the media like most others i feel here are as well. I simply don't see any compelling reason for companies not to go the way of digital only :(

Well yes, naturally MS would want to go all digital, but what MS "wants" and what is more practical, in a profitability point of view, is completely different.

Harder to pirate; not at all. Just look at all the console Arcade games and dlc. It's all digital yet it floods the torrents and newsgroups. Same with PC gaming; pirated digital-only content is abundant.

Eliminating hard copies means no extra costs for manufacturing or shipping; sure, but now you have the added costs of running even more servers, staff to monitor them, and bandwidth costs. So there's no saving money by eliminating hard copies.

You saying you can't see any drawbacks to a company going all digital; I've already listed two very good reasons in my previous post. There are still way too many consumers who have limited bandwidth speeds and/or bandwidth caps.

1712.11.2011 18:29

Originally posted by bhetrick:

Well yes, naturally MS would want to go all digital, but what MS "wants" and what is more practical, in a profitability point of view, is completely different.

Harder to pirate; not at all. Just look at all the console Arcade games and dlc. It's all digital yet it floods the torrents and newsgroups. Same with PC gaming; pirated digital-only content is abundant.

Eliminating hard copies means no extra costs for manufacturing or shipping; sure, but now you have the added costs of running even more servers, staff to monitor them, and bandwidth costs. So there's no saving money by eliminating hard copies.

You saying you can't see any drawbacks to a company going all digital; I've already listed two very good reasons in my previous post. There are still way too many consumers who have limited bandwidth speeds and/or bandwidth caps.

Just curious if you never have the program locally, and run it remotely in the cloud... Then add a DRM scheme in which it uses your computer's signature, memory, cpu, mac address, a guid to generate a unique key for only you... How will you defeat this and get a pirated program? You might but it will be very very hard. The computer signature stuff was build into XP, you could change a few things without invalidating your "signature" but change to much too often or some of the key items, you would need to re-activate your copy of Windows. You might be able to pirate something but your copy will soon be invalidated. You might try to pirate something like this, but it would be pretty darn hard.

1812.11.2011 20:46

Originally posted by bhetrick:

Just curious if you never have the program locally, and run it remotely in the cloud... Then add a DRM scheme in which it uses your computer's signature, memory, cpu, mac address, a guid to generate a unique key for only you... How will you defeat this and get a pirated program? You might but it will be very very hard. The computer signature stuff was build into XP, you could change a few things without invalidating your "signature" but change to much too often or some of the key items, you would need to re-activate your copy of Windows. You might be able to pirate something but your copy will soon be invalidated. You might try to pirate something like this, but it would be pretty darn hard.

Pirates live in obscurity, Always hiding, looking over there back, fighting for territory and trying to justify stealing a product for personal use just cuz they don't believe in the way the giants do business. I know cuz I am one. I love free stuff but I also love protecting whats mine and sometimes I have to sit back and look at my double standard.
Digital only consoles are here. Maybe M$ or $ony won't go that route right away or even with these next consoles but I would be surprised if they don't do more digital content. Maintaining web based gaming as well as designing the consoles to do so would be way cheaper than traditional forms of gaming. The hardware requirements for the end user would be minimal. They could give the consoles away. The only downside would be the lag but as the infrastructure grows, sooner or later that won't be an issue.
As far as support staff, the trouble that would be experienced would most likely be regional and would be fixed by 5 people at best. There are very few companies doing 100% virtual desktops and the it costs have put those companies at the top just because of the low costs. Even if M$ lost half of their customers they would still benefit from the decreased cost of doing business.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive