1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX USB DVD player - judder in certain scenes...water, live music etc....

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Cieran, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Cieran

Cieran Member

Hi all, this is my first post so please be kind!

Had a quick search through the forums but I couldn't find an answer to my question so here goes....

I recently bought a cheap Nikkai DVD player from Maplins, which I use to watch avi's on using a Sandisk Cruzer 8GB USB stick. These work absolutely fine the majority of the time but sometimes when there is a lot of activity on the screen such as an audience clapping, shots of moving water or live music the video starts to slow up as if it is struggling to process the data. This happens pretty much all the time if I use higher quality or VOB files.

Is this a common problem with cheaper DVD players or would it be more likely that it is the USB stick?

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

Does the video that's a problem on the standalone on the USB stick play OK on the PC?

3. Cieran

Cieran Member

Yup it plays fine when plugged into my laptop

4. attar

attar Senior member

Sounds like the stick is good.
    If the VOB files were authored to DVD and burned to disk then played back on the standalone you could compare the known good stick to the DVD media on the same player.

5. Cieran

Cieran Member

I've tried this already - when authored to DVD if does not judder/skip. However the same files judder/skip when played via the USB stick. Yet when plugged into my laptop the files work fine.

This all points to the USB port on the DVD player being at fault. It was only a cheap model so i'm not surprised.

I'm thinking of getting a Sumvision Cyclone Micro2+ as i've read good reviews about it so this should do the job instead.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011