AfterDawn: Tech news

iPhone 5 rumor: Quad core, 720p display

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 07 Dec 2011 10:54 User comments (19)

iPhone 5 rumor: Quad core, 720p display The German Mac site Macerkopf has posted the latest rumor on the upcoming iPhone 5 today.
Sources speaking to the site say Apple is working on multiple configurations of the new smartphone.

The first test device has a quad-core processor, although the site says it was nowhere near a foregone conclusion that the device will have one. The second test device has very powerful dual-core processors, with 28nm technology and high clock speeds.

Additionally, the devices are being tested with different resolutions, all larger than the current 960x640.

720p displays of 1280x720 and 1440x900 are being tested.

The iPhone 5 is expected next October.

Previous Next  

19 user comments

18.12.2011 01:27

Let's see how far Android gets by then.

28.12.2011 04:14

Next year will be unique. You'll have quad-core processors running on arm cortex-9 arictecture and you'll have faster clock rate speeds of single and dual core processors running on ARM cortex 15. The average consumer won't know the differences in performance. It'll be difficult to explain the advantages of the dual core over the quad core to the average consumer as well when most just look at clock speed or number of cores. Either way you really can't go wrong. But I don't see why iOS would need quad cores, nothing really demands it.

38.12.2011 05:56

Originally posted by plutonash:
Next year will be unique. You'll have quad-core processors running on arm cortex-9 arictecture and you'll have faster clock rate speeds of single and dual core processors running on ARM cortex 15. The average consumer won't know the differences in performance. It'll be difficult to explain the advantages of the dual core over the quad core to the average consumer as well when most just look at clock speed or number of cores. Either way you really can't go wrong. But I don't see why iOS would need quad cores, nothing really demands it.
Apple still claims that iDevices don't have flash because they are too slow...maybe a quad core would fix that. :)

Personally, I think we are going to see some crazy Androids next year...not just faster with larger capacities, but also with even bigger screens. I think they could get away with at least a 5.5" screen. Meanwhile, Apple fanboys will be lined up around the block waiting for the iPhone5 and then bragging about their 4" screens that have 720P resolution but which are too small to make use of 480P resolution.

48.12.2011 07:25

New phones being developed have fold-out sectional screens. Thickness is a bit thicker than current I-phones, but imagine roughly double the real-estate split in half and added to either side, making use of an ultra-thin, flexible plastic screen technology that pops open to flatness.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Dec 2011 @ 7:27

58.12.2011 07:41

lol so the tied has turned with the transformer prime already on sale, android was the first to the table with a quad core... nom nom nom droids eat apples for breakfast.

68.12.2011 10:22

The naked eye won't notice a difference between their existing screen of 960x540 or these 720p displays. What an F'ing waste!

And seriously people.............SERIOUSLY!!!!!!...........quad core for phones??? No one is computing with that intensity on their confounded phone. And if someone is.......they're losers with no life and need to get a girlfriend.

At most, people will text, talk and surf at the same time......AT MOST.

Anyone that defends this need for computing power is just raising their hand in shame stating "I'm a dork"

78.12.2011 11:32

Originally posted by hearme0:
The naked eye won't notice a difference between their existing screen of 960x540 or these 720p displays. What an F'ing waste!

And seriously people.............SERIOUSLY!!!!!!...........quad core for phones??? No one is computing with that intensity on their confounded phone. And if someone is.......they're losers with no life and need to get a girlfriend.

Anyone that defends this need for computing power is just raising their hand in shame stating "I'm a dork"
It'd be more of keeping up with competition. People want the latest and greatest and soon apple won't make the huge profits they do now because they cant always offer that. People will choose the better specs if their new to the game.

88.12.2011 12:35

But will it have 4G?

98.12.2011 12:35

But will it have 4G?

108.12.2011 12:39

And seriously people.............SERIOUSLY!!!!!!...........quad core for phones??? No one is computing with that intensity on their confounded phone.
Wait, so you aren't rendering 3D videos while playing HD games and having Dolphin browser open with 15 tabs??

118.12.2011 13:25

@hearme0 also a quad core would be pretty darn useful in a smartphone for playing back 1080p video (yes your not getting to see it in 1080p) without having to re-encode it down to something the cpu can cope with.

128.12.2011 20:10

Ayayay why is Apple ALWAYS behind :/

What Android needs to do is improve storage on devices.
At least have basic 8gb models, and get rid of the low end Android phones (which are the ones that Apple fanboys seem to compare their iPhone to)

And maybe even learn from the good stuff from Apple, and incorporate it. That way in 5 years every phone will be the same and NOBODY can brag about their 64 gb 4.5 inch screens and 1080p screen output

muhahahaha >:)

138.12.2011 20:32

Wait a minute... 720 or 1080P with a tiny display?
Please...
Oh wait, when you get home you can use video out to use with your 27" monitor.

That's what the much more powerful PC is for.

Kiddies and their toys.

Jeff

149.12.2011 00:10

Maybe the 720P screen will finally be slightly larger...not as big as an old Android screen, but still bigger than the tiny screen in the 4S. I do agree tho...720P is probably overkill for a 4.3" screen, 1080P is certainly overkill...only useful if you have an HDMI output port. Not everyone needs a PC...just imagine if you could pop your phone onto a wireless dock that charges it while connecting it to a 24" screen, a mouse, and a keyboard. For people who just use a PC for Facebook and such, this would be ideal.

Now, the quad core could be useful for gaming. We just need some good controls on these phones; touchscreens suck for gaming, the keyboards on devices like the Droid 3 are not much better, and the only phone with good controls is the Xperia Play, which has terrible hardware.

Originally posted by EzCeazy:

At least have basic 8gb models, and get rid of the low end Android phones (which are the ones that Apple fanboys seem to compare their iPhone to)

And maybe even learn from the good stuff from Apple, and incorporate it. That way in 5 years every phone will be the same and NOBODY can brag about their 64 gb 4.5 inch screens and 1080p screen output

It would be nice if we had android phones with 64GB internal memory...but we already have android phones with support for 64GB memory cards that come with 8GB internal memory...that is more than any apple offers.

I have to disagree with your comment about the low-end androids...people do buy these; there is a market for them. If you don't play games or movies, then why do you need a high-end phone? I would say that Apple should offer a low-end phone, but they already do that...the only problem is that they don't offer any high-end phones, and their low-end phone has a high-end price.

As for learning from the "good stuff from apple"...do you mean Siri? That is the only thing that Apple offers over any android...and Google is working on it

159.12.2011 08:41

Just another gimmick for the iCrap crowd to dote over in false pride.

So your battery will only last one hour but the phone will sure be fast! Maybe they will supple a large solar panel to charge the device while in use?

Let me see $50 for a decent 8GB MP3 player or $300 for a 8GB Touch, it doesn't take much brains to see the correct choice.... Unless?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Dec 2011 @ 8:41

169.12.2011 12:01

Originally posted by Mr-Movies:

So your battery will only last one hour but the phone will sure be fast! Maybe they will supple a large solar panel to charge the device while in use?

Let me see $50 for a decent 8GB MP3 player or $300 for a 8GB Touch, it doesn't take much brains to see the correct choice.... Unless?
Actually the current ipod Touch is $199. Also you can get the shuffle for 49 bucks if all you want is an mp3 player, iPod Touch is an mp4 player.

Originally posted by KillerBug:

Maybe the 720P screen will finally be slightly larger...not as big as an old Android screen, but still bigger than the tiny screen in the 4S. I do agree tho...720P is probably overkill for a 4.3" screen, 1080P is certainly overkill...only useful if you have an HDMI output port. Not everyone needs a PC...just imagine if you could pop your phone onto a wireless dock that charges it while connecting it to a 24" screen, a mouse, and a keyboard. For people who just use a PC for Facebook and such, this would be ideal.

Now, the quad core could be useful for gaming. We just need some good controls on these phones; touchscreens suck for gaming, the keyboards on devices like the Droid 3 are not much better, and the only phone with good controls is the Xperia Play, which has terrible hardware.

Originally posted by EzCeazy:

It would be nice if we had android phones with 64GB internal memory...but we already have android phones with support for 64GB memory cards that come with 8GB internal memory...that is more than any apple offers.

I have to disagree with your comment about the low-end androids...people do buy these; there is a market for them. If you don't play games or movies, then why do you need a high-end phone? I would say that Apple should offer a low-end phone, but they already do that...the only problem is that they don't offer any high-end phones, and their low-end phone has a high-end price.

As for learning from the "good stuff from apple"...do you mean Siri? That is the only thing that Apple offers over any android...and Google is working on it
It is what you consider high end. For some they'd rather have a phone with 3.5-4" screen I've held both on each end and the difference in minimal. But for the 4S it offers a dual core processor with really fast graphics, an 8MP 1080p camera, and a high resolution display. That qualifies as high end for most people. I do agree that the lack of 4G and a bigger screen doesn't sound as appealing. But apple couldnt implement 4G this iteration. B/C Verizon would have an unfair advantage over Sprint and ATT. Sprints wimax is already obsolete and ATT cant keep up with the times. Also, had they released a phone on T-mobile, there wouldnt be such strong sales for ATT. So they had to pick and choose. Now when they implement these 2 things next year along with a redesign, people will go crazy again as they did with the i4.

179.12.2011 12:10

Originally posted by Mr-Movies:

Yes, a solar panel you wear on your head like a tinfoil hat.

One hour battery charge, really? Plain and simple unacceptable.

Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Dec 2011 @ 12:11

189.12.2011 15:14

This rumor actually sounds VERY reasonable, the iPhones Retina display is already 640P and the Apple A6 has been rumored for over a year to be quad core.

1910.12.2011 15:42

iPhone 5
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6
iPhone 6s
iPhone 7
iPhone 7s
|
|
|
v
iPhone 80
iPhone 80s
iDie

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive