1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista WD External Hard Drive crash

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tonyarmol, Dec 25, 2011.

1. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

Hey guys first off let me start off my saying I apologize if this is the incorrect forum. I will gladly take care of it if I am in the wrong. But here my problem, My WD external hard drive suddenly crashed and I think it was because it was copying stuff over and it got unplugged. Now when I plug it into my computer and go start>my computer to open up external hard drive he freezes and i go to close my computer and ends up crashing my whole laptop. I use it to watch movies on ps3 and now lights up but doesn't load any data. My question is how can I scan & fix it If i can't even open up the my computer window since it cause it to freeze.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a windowes issue.
    2.5" or 3.5" drive? laptop or desktop? have you tried it on another pc?

3. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

Um I think its 2.5 drive? Its a western digital 1tb external hard drive with the 3.0 usb cable. I'm on a laptop which my external hard drive messing it up everytime. Yes I have tried it on another computer and same thing. I was able to get into it once today but had laptop going slow. I tried the CHKDSK /R thing but no luck. Its quite frustrating id have to say. Thanks for any help you can bring to the table

4. ddp

if not under warranty then try another drive enclosure.

5. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

So did a chkdsk attempt said I uad o schedule one for when the computer restarts so I did and has been stuck on 12%. Don't know.if that helps or not.

6. ddp

is it still under warranty?

7. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

To be honest I have no idea which is sad. But chkdsk finally completed and froze on complete screen.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

the hdd itself will have a serial number on it,go to the wd website & check if still under warranty if it is start a RMA ticket or take it back to where you bought it

9. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

Warranty is a no go I'm afraid. I keep having random success and failure though with it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't when connected to laptop my tends to freeze a lot forcing me to restart my computer. No luck when it comes to ps3 though. However, i ran a chkdsk on another computer and it took almost 2 days to finish but finally did. Now its stuck on:

checking file system on C:
    the type of the file system is NFTS (Which I thought was fat32 since it worked with ps3)
    the volume is clean
    windows has finished checking the disk.

And it has been on this screen for hours as well. Hard drive is still flashing a couple times then pauses then repeats. Not sure if I should unplug it or not don't want to mess it up anymore than it already is.

10. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

Hey guys. Keep finding more strange stuff about it as the days go on. For example I kept mentioning how it freezes my computer. Well I've come to notice when my external hard drive is plugged in I'll open up my computer or anything for that matter and the window appears but takes days (if it even loads) for it to load whats in it. Then I will unplug my external hard drive and viola everything loads and is running smooth again.

hmmm?

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

housing or the drive is shot

12. ddp

do you have a desktop computer with sata ports on it to test the drive on?

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

14. ddp

i sent a pm to ketola with links to program & program site so ball in admin's court. happy new year to you too.

15. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

Hey guys sorry its taken so long been having internet issues. I believe yes the desktop has sata port on the back I will have to check when I get there. If so what will I have to do. Also on the desktop my hard drive is running just like i said runs really slow now for some reason. But I almost have everything off of it and was going to see if reformatting did anything but I have a feeling it won't. I am almost positive the problem with it is due to being unplugged while data was transferring.

16. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

So after almost weeks of disappointment, it looks like I won't be able to get my music or videos off due to the fact there is so much and so big. The hard drive basically works when it wants know only on my desktop computer nothing else. But when it does finally connect to the desktop it sometimes only last 5 minutes sometimes it lasts for a whole day. Very angry with it though however cause now i don't think i'll be able to reformat it like i wanted to since i never know if its going to stay connected or not. Does anyone know of other software i can use to scan my hard drive to see what problems exist or to reformat it?

17. ddp

18. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately. Looks like I'm just going to have to trash it. Started the formatting process then it messed upso now everything I was trying to save is gone. So was just going to throw it in the trash. Any last ideas before I junk it.

19. ddp

take the drive out of the enclosure & connect it directly to the sata port & psu of the computer if using a desktop.

20. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

okay so I found a video on how to open my external hard drive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITObQxytdH4) but how do I go about hooking it up to the desktop computer?