1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista WD External Hard Drive crash

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tonyarmol, Dec 25, 2011.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does your motherboard & psu have spare sata connectors? do you have a sata rom drive in the desktop?

2. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

Hey everyone. I have been researching but haven't found a complete way of understanding how the sata port thing works with my hard drive? Do i need to buy a sata cord (almost positive I do just want to make sure?) I currently have my Western Digital 1TB WD My Passport Essential SE USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Midnight Black out of its enclosure. I have a windows vista emachines desktop computer to hook the hard drive up to.

I have also noticed that I can plug it into my laptop now without it freezing my laptop but I still can't do anything with it. It says it is a RAW type and I've tried a few programs I found online (such as EASEUS) to see if that would do anything but from what I understand those are only for getting the data off the hard drive correct? In that case I am more than positive everything is erased off it. So thats the update so far everyone. I appreciate all the help you all have giving me.

3. ddp

if your desktop has spare sata port plus sata cable & power connector then can connect drive to motherboard without buying sata card. done it a few times with no problem.

4. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

I don't think it has the cable. If it did would this be in the package the computer came with? Might be a dumb question but I honestly have no idea when it comes to such things. How would I tell? And I take it I open it up? (the desktop that is)

5. ddp

most likely has sata in it

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

chances are it does.. all this chaos because the driv was disconnected while mounted.. now with linux you see.. hdparm -W /dev/sda(1-2-3-4)

7. tonyarmol

tonyarmol Member

You are correct ps355528. It was actually in the middle of a transfer but I clicked cancel and even though the window exited and disappeared I don't think the hard drive fully cancelled. If you get what I mean. So then I tried to reformat it and it won't but it did manage to delete everything on it. Do I just need to throw it away? I know a computer guy in my town but if I could fix it myself that is what I was going to do. I keep hearing the sata port method which I'm willing to try but i have to find a sata cable since I don't think I have one with the desktop we have. Also would sata ports be right on the outside of the modem or inside the modem?

8. ddp

why are you talking about "modem"?