AfterDawn: Tech news

Netflix is still the leader in streaming video but an uncertain future looms

Written by Rich Fiscus @ 04 Jan 2012 3:17 User comments (43)

Netflix is still the leader in streaming video but an uncertain future looms

While many people point to the missteps Netflix made in 2011 as signs of the company's demise, their Watch Instantly service remains far and away the most popular online video platform around.
According to Netflix, they streamed more than 2 billion hours of video to more than 20 million subscribers worldwide in the fourth quarter of 2011. Of course, all that success doesn't come without a price. As Netflix streaming grows, the price of content is rising with it.

Thanks in no small part to concerns Netflix is cannibalizing viewers from traditional broadcast, cable, and satellite channels, Netflix faces higher licensing fees as existing contracts come up for renewal and less content in the near future with the looming end of their deal with Starz.

Meanwhile, Dish Network represents a serious threat to Netflix thanks to their acquisition of Blockbuster. Blockbuster's streaming and online rental services were recently bundled with Dish Network satellite TV service in Blockbuster Movie Pass.

Blockbuster Movie Pass lacks anything approaching the Netflix customer base, but they have an advantage with some content providers based on their decision to require pay TV subscriptions to use the service. While Dish Network's strategy seems less than convincing as a long term model for success, that doesn't mean it won't cause problems for Netflix in the short term.

Thanks to their decision to raise prices last year, Netflix has already alienated millions of customers. Meanwhile, US cable broadband providers who serve many of those customers see Netflix as a competitor for their own services and premium services like HBO have decided to compete, rather than partner with Netflix.

On top of all that, Amazon will no doubt make more moves to compete with Netflix via their own streaming service and a rumored TV coming from Apple in 2012 could also represent a significant threat. As wild as 2011 was for Netflix, 2012 could see more of the same.

Previous Next  

43 user comments

14.1.2012 18:03

Lacks? BB has more tv series than Netflix

25.1.2012 07:20

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
The article says "lacks anything approaching the Netflix customer base". It does not say content.

35.1.2012 08:21

BB lacks movies as usual.....

I don't care what service you are talking about streaming sucks and is poor quality period, I'll take discs any day. I just signed up again with Netflix and it hadn't been two years yet but they lost my queue information, bumber. I got 1 month free streaming/1 disc home and used that for a month. I streamed a lot of movies and the video/audio quality was horrible, completely. There is now way I will watch streaming, I might as well go back and start watching VHS's and that's not going to happen.

It does show how low-fi we are getting in this new technical age we are entering. All I can think of is Dumb & Dumber....

Sad!

45.1.2012 08:57

In fact, Netflix can and will stream HD, IF you have sufficient bandwidth. Quality of picture isn't why I dropped 'em like a steaming turd, however; their corporate greed and arrogance is to blame for that.

55.1.2012 09:14

Still streaming crap even with bandwidth!

65.1.2012 09:21

Again, I got HD streams from them just fine; I think you may have other issues.

75.1.2012 09:45

I think not!

85.1.2012 10:32

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
I just checked and verified with CNET reviews. BB has "little to no tv show content".

So you're F.O.S. spewing nonsense.

95.1.2012 12:01

Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
I think not!
Think all ya like; looked juuust fine on my 55" HDTV ^^,

105.1.2012 12:34

BB lacks movies as usual.....

I don't care what service you are talking about streaming sucks and is poor quality period, I'll take discs any day. I just signed up again with Netflix and it hadn't been two years yet but they lost my queue information, bumber. I got 1 month free streaming/1 disc home and used that for a month. I streamed a lot of movies and the video/audio quality was horrible, completely. There is now way I will watch streaming, I might as well go back and start watching VHS's and that's not going to happen.

It does show how low-fi we are getting in this new technical age we are entering. All I can think of is Dumb & Dumber....

Sad!
Hello Sir. I am from Bridgeport, NY. I connect to Netflix via Verizon DSL using a Samsung BD Player with the Netflix APP. The quality is EXCELLENT! This seems especially astonishing since my broadband is Vz DSL!

115.1.2012 13:01

Have both Netflix and BB. Block buster has better movie selection with Blu-ray and games, but streaming via DISH sucks. The menu is all wrong and there are newer movies aval, but for a fee. Typical DISH, a fee for everything. I stream from PS3 and Xbox and do not see much downgrade on my tvs.

125.1.2012 14:11

I'm rather amazed at the quality I get. Perhaps not TOO amazed. I have a 5mb connection, and I do get HD streams from them. And from what I can tell, they don't even come close to saturating my connection speed. I'd estimate 70 - 80% bandwidth utilization. In all my years with netflix, my troubles have been extremely minimal. I talk to people at work that do have troubles. I tell them they've probably got too many devices utilizing their connection bandwidth. Because I've streamed netflix vids, on a 1.5mb connection as well. NO troubles. The video quality was ONLY acceptable for a small screen though.

One of my buddies told me he has like 5 or 6 wireless devices. I chuckled when he said his streaming is better late night. Funny thing about that LOL! Apparently he has a 12Mb connection now. He says no troubles now. With a connection like that, it really shouldn't be saturated very easily. Torrenting, gaming, and streaming however... that would probably come close ;)

I've also streamed netflix to a 50" plasma over a powerline adapter. It looked very agreeable. Impressive technology. I'd probably buy more of those, before wireless... but wireless does have it's uses of course.

135.1.2012 17:33

I completely agree that DISH’s Blockbuster Movie Pass poses a true threat against Netflix not only because they offer streaming and online rental services, but also because these features are superior to what Netflix offers. As an ex-Netflix subscriber and a current subscriber of the Blockbuster Movie Pass, I have personally been able to compare the two services. The Blockbuster Movie Pass gets releases 28 days sooner, and they offer Blu-ray and video game rentals along with their online rental services at no extra charge. I initially started with a 3-month free trial and I have since decided to keep it because it is only $10 a month (considerably less than what I would pay for Netflix streaming/DVD rentals and a separate gaming rental service). I am very excited to see how Amazon and cable providers will strive to compete in 2012, and despite the fact that I work for DISH, I strongly believe that DISH’s ultimate bundling of entertainment may prove to be the best option for consumers and their pocketbooks.

145.1.2012 18:23

Blockbuster apparently only allows 3 out at a time, via through the mail. I don't live near a blockbuster, so exchanging is out.

Perhaps the reason netflix is still the leader, is because they have premium plans. 8 out at a time is a nice plan :p I'm not much of a gamer either. Just PC games. I still see no reason to switch. Perhaps I'm stubborn, but perhaps I'm simply not impressed by other providers.

I ♥ you netflix :S

155.1.2012 19:33

Originally posted by omegaman7:
Blockbuster apparently only allows 3 out at a time, via through the mail. I don't live near a blockbuster, so exchanging is out.

Perhaps the reason netflix is still the leader, is because they have premium plans. 8 out at a time is a nice plan :p I'm not much of a gamer either. Just PC games. I still see no reason to switch. Perhaps I'm stubborn, but perhaps I'm simply not impressed by other providers.

I ♥ you netflix :S
There are always die-hards on both sides ;)

165.1.2012 20:29

Omegaman7 is far from a die hard he just sees a good deal when it is presented to him.

The quality even when HD streaming is not great to those with trained eyes. The audio is stereo and not surround sound. Due to compression for streaming and forced stereo I would say the quality all around isn't even close to renting the movie on disc.

I'm not surprised that most can't see it or hear it in our iWorld of poor performance, streaming is low-fi in most cases period.

176.1.2012 00:45

I'm not saying the streaming quality is great. Absolutely not LOL! But it's totally agreeable to me :p Even on the 50" plasma. I'd say it's either equal to or slightly better than the so-called digital television. Better than the HD stations? Perhaps not. My brother has a 7Mb connection. He streamed "Waterworld" one night. It was obviously HD quality. Looked and sounded pretty good. Great? NO. Not like blu-ray anyway. I definitely love blu-ray disc.

187.1.2012 10:10

If you want to talk corporate greed, what do you call STARZ? Netflix offered them STARS $300 million (up from the previous contract's 1/10 of that) and STARS refused because STARS wanted Netflix to charge their customers an additional fee for STARS content. The Netflix price jump announcement was probably necessary. The content providers are asking for a lot more than they were (greed?) and just where was Netflix supposed to get that...other than their subscribers? The streaming service remains a screaming bargain at $8 and the DVD add-on gets you up to 8 DVD's a month for $8 (cheaper than Red Box with a much larger library) or $10 for Blu Rays (MUCH cheaper than Red Box). We got spoiled at the old pricing level and thought they owed us a screaming bargain on streaming/DVd forever. Life is not like that.

Originally posted by Bozobub:
In fact, Netflix can and will stream HD, IF you have sufficient bandwidth. Quality of picture isn't why I dropped 'em like a steaming turd, however; their corporate greed and arrogance is to blame for that.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jan 2012 @ 10:12

197.1.2012 11:43

Originally posted by nopcbs:
If you want to talk corporate greed, what do you call STARZ? Netflix offered them STARS $300 million (up from the previous contract's 1/10 of that) and STARS refused because STARS wanted Netflix to charge their customers an additional fee for STARS content. The Netflix price jump announcement was probably necessary. The content providers are asking for a lot more than they were (greed?) and just where was Netflix supposed to get that...other than their subscribers? The streaming service remains a screaming bargain at $8 and the DVD add-on gets you up to 8 DVD's a month for $8 (cheaper than Red Box with a much larger library) or $10 for Blu Rays (MUCH cheaper than Red Box). We got spoiled at the old pricing level and thought they owed us a screaming bargain on streaming/DVd forever. Life is not like that.

Originally posted by Bozobub:

I agree 100%. I mean come on, it's $8.00 a month. Think of all the crap we waste $8.00 on in a day.

207.1.2012 12:28

It was free and went to $9/mo., that is a 800% increase so it was a bad move/bad decision. They should have dropped Starz and went back to doing it the way they started their streaming venture or found another provider that would be happy for the business.

For free it was a nice convenience but I won't pay for poor quality just because it is easy, not the norm of course for todays standards.

FOX networks is another one getting greedy like Starz as they too want a 200% profit increase annually.

217.1.2012 15:08

I suppose, just to add another perspective, I dropped out of the whole mail order DVD rental game once the streaming venture came onto the scene right after I caught wind that there was to be a remote possibility that Netflix 'may' start charging additional for the service. I think that was even as far back as 2006. That's probably a lie, more like 2008/9.

Obviously, the service was free & in its infancy at the time & most if not all the customers at the time were beta testers. All the movies were pretty much 20+ years old or complete garbage & not worth trying to get through the first 15 minutes, much less attempting to notice if they merited anything worthy of HD quality or not.

Basically once Netflix decided to press their own DVDs (leaving out the 'making of' features & the likes) & started nickle & dimeing the prices up on me, it was adios.

With the current behavior they're all pulling, I'm looking forward to the mom & pop, brick & mortar stores to start popping back up.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jan 2012 @ 3:09

227.1.2012 15:17

Originally posted by LordRuss:
I suppose, just to add another perspective, I dropped out of the whole mail order DVD rental game once the streaming venture came onto the scene right after I caught wind that there was to be a remote possibility that Netflix 'may' start charging additional for the service. I think that was even as far back as 2006. That's probably a lie, more like 2008/9.

Obviously, the service was free & in its infancy at the time & most if not all the customers at the time were beta testers. All the movies were pretty much 20+ years old or complete garbage & not worth trying to get through the first 15 minutes, much less attempting to notice if they merited anything worthy of HD quality or not.

Basically once Netflix decided to press their own DVDs (leaving out the 'making of' features & the likes) & started nickle & dimeing the prices up on me, it was adios.

With the current behavior they're all pulling, I'm looking forward to the mom & pop, brick & mortar stores to start popping back up.
What nickel and diming?

You get charged a fixed rate for streaming. As for DVD rentals you are charged by how many DVD's you care to have out at any one time. The only option is the Blu Ray, which is a reasonable $2 a month. The pay more for Blu Rays than for DVD's, You do, too, when you buy them.

What nickel and diming are you referring to?

I was none to happy with the price increase when they initiated it because I was used to a screaming bargain. Streaming plus 8 DVD's a month for $12? Where else you going to get that deal? So now it's another $4-5 for the same thing. The question stands, where are you going to get that deal for less? The mom and pop stores can't possably compete. Red Box does on the DVD rental front, but they have nowhere near the selection and you will pay more, anyway. After looking at it soberly, and after the mad wore off, I realized that they are still the best value.

237.1.2012 15:37

Again, it's not the quality of the actual service that pisses me off, it's the overabundance of "B" movies, combined with the overweening arrogance of their CEO, and their recent, obnoxious flubs. I mean, "Qwikster"? Really..?! SPlit the services, really? Quite obviously, no one really took the time to vet those choices; they expected their users to swallow 'em hook, line, and sinker. Oops! Fail. Their stock price tells no lies.

You know, the local "mom & pop" video store has a LOT more videos that I *cough* actually care to watch.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jan 2012 @ 3:37

247.1.2012 15:40

Your numbers are wrong it's not $4-5 more per month and it's not just $2 for BD's the price goes up depending on how many at home you get. Before it was a set price and didn't go up with more out.

The Nickle-Diming is just all of those additional pricing factors so Russ is absolutely correct with his comment! Netflix has doubled their pricing factor in the last year, that is insane...

Where he was wrong is about new movies not being streamed from the start, they did but there was a push on old movies and at the start it was old movies and the latest new releases that were getting setup for streaming.

257.1.2012 19:20

Had Netflix offered a more enhanced service along with the price increase I think many of their subscribers would have been happy to accept the increase. They went about their changes all backwards so I agree that their stock plummet last year was evident of that.

267.1.2012 20:00

I was paying $12 for 1 DVD at a time + Blu Ray + streaming last year. That was 8 DVD's a month and simulatneous streaming on three TV sets. Now I pay, same service, $6 more ($18). If I wanted 2 Blu Rays at a time, it would be $5 more ($23). That's $1.80 a Blue Ray (one at a time) and free streaming or $1.15 a Blue Ray and free streaming for the two at a time package. Red Box charges $1.50 per Blue Ray, and no streaming of course (I use them as the low cost competition DVD option). Who can match that package price? No one. And I get excellent HD streaming quality (58" Panasonic plasma) with Charter (yeah, Charter!).

The people who are whining about the price having be lower before are missing reality. We were getting a ridiculously good deal before that was not sustainable. Now we are just getting just an excellent (and still the best value) deal and some people feel cheated? When you supermarket runs a buy one get one free promotion for a week on soap, do you feel ripped off the following week when the promotion is over and you have to pay the normal price? BK had free fries one day last December. Did you feel ripped off the nest day when they were a dollar? Dominos was doing half off on all Pizzas last month for a day. Did you feel ripped off when they went back to full price?

I was PO'd at Netflix, too, when they raised their prices, but after thinking about how much bang for the buck they are still offering, I had to say to myself, "Dude, what are you complaining about? It's still a great price, just not as great." My bigger problem is that Hollywood makes so many bad movies that there is little to bother renting. So, now I do a one month on and three months off on the DVD option. I would keep the DVD option on all the time if there was anything new worth renting, regularly.

- nopcbs

277.1.2012 21:11

I was paying $12 for 1 DVD at a time + Blu Ray + streaming last year. That was 8 DVD's a month and simulatneous streaming on three TV sets. Now I pay, same service, $6 more ($18). If I wanted 2 Blu Rays at a time, it would be $5 more ($23). That's $1.80 a Blue Ray (one at a time) and free streaming or $1.15 a Blue Ray and free streaming for the two at a time package. Red Box charges $1.50 per Blue Ray, and no streaming of course (I use them as the low cost competition DVD option). Who can match that package price? No one. And I get excellent HD streaming quality (58" Panasonic plasma) with Charter (yeah, Charter!).

The people who are whining about the price having be lower before are missing reality. We were getting a ridiculously good deal before that was not sustainable. Now we are just getting just an excellent (and still the best value) deal and some people feel cheated? When you supermarket runs a buy one get one free promotion for a week on soap, do you feel ripped off the following week when the promotion is over and you have to pay the normal price? BK had free fries one day last December. Did you feel ripped off the nest day when they were a dollar? Dominos was doing half off on all Pizzas last month for a day. Did you feel ripped off when they went back to full price?

I was PO'd at Netflix, too, when they raised their prices, but after thinking about how much bang for the buck they are still offering, I had to say to myself, "Dude, what are you complaining about? It's still a great price, just not as great." My bigger problem is that Hollywood makes so many bad movies that there is little to bother renting. So, now I do a one month on and three months off on the DVD option. I would keep the DVD option on all the time if there was anything new worth renting, regularly.

- nopcbs

As I said you are wrong, here is Netflix's current pricing structure straight from Netflix itself.

288.1.2012 06:59

- nopcbs

As I said you are wrong, here is Netflix's current pricing structure straight from Netflix itself.

YOU just confirmed what I said. You found the same Netflix page that I found and the page says that unlimited streaming + 1 DVD at a time (8 per month, on average for me) + Blu Ray is $18...which is what I have and what I pay.

So how, exactly, am I wrong? I am not. You are wrong. I think you are mis-reading the Netflix rate page.

- nopcbs

298.1.2012 12:10

I did not confirm what you are saying. Netflix went from $15++ for three movies unlimited with streaming and now that service is $28++ which isn't quite double but it certainly isn't a $4 spread.

You are wrong!

And on top of that plus their biggest mistake was to split the company.

308.1.2012 12:48

last year, pre-fall increase, I was paying $12 for 1 DVD at a time + Blu Ray + unlimited streaming to $6 now for the same thing.

You say that you were paying $15 for three DVD's + unlimited streaming (no Blu Ray) pre-increase last year? That is up to 24 DVD's a month plus streaming for $15. That is riculously cheap. Now you would be paying $24 for that same package...a buck a DVD plus free streaming. Not as cheap, but still cheap for the renatls alone and you can call the streaming "free".

It's still a great deal.

The split was for the reason stated (expansion overseas plans or streaming only) and it was a dumb idea for them to do it in their home market. They backed off, so it is not an issue.

I think the management team starting believing they were some kind of genuises (looking at the share price) and with that came a bit of conceit about what they could get away with, but a price increase was appropriate given the squeeze they were/are getting from the suppliers.

I do not mean to say that Netflix management acted correctly. I do say their product remains a great value, just not quite the screaming bargain it was...and no one else ever was.

318.1.2012 12:49

What nickel and diming are you referring to?
If you bothered to look at the read/listen to the original time line I typed/said 2008/9 it was when they were originally setting up to start this whole turd-capade. They hadn't separated their DVDs from their streaming & blurays really hadn't even been offered at all. HD streaming wasn't even in mix at all, just the ability to get 'DVD quality streaming' was the best you get.

The nickel & diming I spoke of was being charged an extra $1 every month other month for basically 9 months in a row for nothing added to the service. That's when I graciously bowed out. Others, like yourself have spoken of Redbox as well & that's all fine, but I'm not going to have my credit card on file with a machine that may very well break down in a redneck neighborhood Wallyworld & an inability to return the thing, then rack up a bill that basically has me buying the POS anyway.

Thus the comment for the Brick & mortar Mom & Pop shops. To which there is one down the street from me who rents DVDs & Blurays, for $1-2 a night. Recent releases & some older stuff, on occasion (because I live in a college town) I can find some fringe stuff and like any other video store they have all the other crap that goes along with frequenting that kind of establishment. But a nice thing about the brick & mortar & that I come & go (and being a have a history) they'll let me slide on occasion with a late fee or they'll hold a movie for me, yada, yada. Something that corporate corn-holers simply don't care about or will do... customer service.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Jan 2012 @ 12:56

328.1.2012 13:01

I did read what you wrote, but could not believe you are complaining about being charged more than you were 4 years ago. Thought you were PO'd about last year's increase.

You are going back to ancient history when the streaming library was much smaller and the whole thing was experimental and not great quality, anyway. You had to buy a Roku box for $100 to even use it. Been there, done that, not interested in going back to that. If you are, dream on.

If your mom/pop stores don't get your credit card number as a requisite to renting you any DVD, I am very surprised. The Red Box devices are connected via wireless internet to central computers. Your credit card number is not stored in it.

Cheers and goodbye. You can have the last word.

- nopcbs

338.1.2012 13:06

nopcbs,

Once again you don't want to get it and if you are fine with being raped so be it, but the facts are facts and the increase over the last two years is enormous, so once again people have the right to whine about it as you wish to point out. And I disagree with your great deal theory as does most people who have bailed on Netflix, and that takes a lot these days as people will pay $150/mo for internet phone access.

348.1.2012 13:43

Just got turned off from the mom & pop stores :p National Treasure! I cannot believe that neither of the two stores in my area have them! National treasure 1 & 2 are huge disney releases. Not having them is a shocker to say the least. Netflix has them... and they deliver them to my door. Redbox currently does not have them. Blockbuster is ~30 miles away :( I miss hollywood video

358.1.2012 14:10

Redbox and BB mostly only carry new releases which is why Netflix has such an appeal. Had Hollywood Video and Blockbuster not killed all of the mom & pop's in my area I would have good alternatives to use, which I did prefer. But that was then unfortunately and those very poor business models ruin it for all of us.

I have National Treasure but not two as it was too horrible to even waste the rental fee on let alone buy it.

368.1.2012 14:14

I'll admit it wasn't as good as the first, but in MY case, it's worth having :p
By the way, I'm speaking of the blu ray discs. Bet you don't have those... LOL!

378.1.2012 14:47

Kinda thought I did have the last word? & if 3 to 4 years ago is ancient history for you then you really are "new".

Not that I really wanted a last word, but then here... what, I sit(?)... It's a little thing I call foreshadowing... you know, thinking about things to come. Without getting wordy, it all boiled down to the smorgasbord of shite sandwiches I wanted to eat from.

Your grandiose Netflix (we see where that went), RedBox (and I just "oh so trust it's wireless capacity & ability to maintain my credit card credentials, so that spiky bug can take a pass on my ass) Blockbuster (which went mammaries skyward in all my townships, so fat chance there) or the aforementioned 4-5 township owned mom & pop stores.

Again, READ! Yes, you saw they I got great deals, you also that they didn't get a credit card, what you didn't bother to COMPREHEND (that's part of that READING thing I was talking/writing about) was that they KNOW me. I live within a block or 2 away. Customer Service! Report, something that is completely lost in American business models anymore (well, pretty much international if you ask me). I haven't given them any reason to distrust me, so I have a good business relationship with them.

I had that with Netflix as well, yet got treated like crap. It seems to me that loosing an estimated 1 million riders & a major movie studio distributor over your arrogance, while the hits just keep coming!

Oh hell, who am I... best deal in town...

We all know who won.

388.1.2012 14:50

Originally posted by omegaman7:
Just got turned off from the mom & pop stores :p National Treasure! I cannot believe that neither of the two stores in my area have them! National treasure 1 & 2 are huge disney releases. Not having them is a shocker to say the least. Netflix has them... and they deliver them to my door. Redbox currently does not have them. Blockbuster is ~30 miles away :( I miss hollywood video

Kinda the cool thing about the place I deal with... if they can't seem to get it through whatever channels... they just run down to the local outlet & buy the thing off the shelf.

Some times it really is nice to live in these back woods towns.

398.1.2012 15:01

Lucky you :) Oh well. I'm patient. At least I can generally count on netflix. They've let me down a few times, but most of the time they're good to me.

408.1.2012 21:43

Originally posted by LordRuss:

Kinda thought I did have the last word? & if 3 to 4 years ago is ancient history for you then you really are "new".
I never said that anyway Russ he totally wasn't wanting to see reality. In fact it was a little more than 6 months ago that they changed the pricing model but for me it was almost two years ago since I used them last. I would call him circle boy because he couldn't admit he was wrong so he wanted to continue to change the argument to avoid the facts, not so uncommon here these days.

419.1.2012 10:24

I never said that anyway Russ he totally wasn't wanting to see reality. In fact it was a little more than 6 months ago that they changed the pricing model but for me it was almost two years ago since I used them last.
OOoooo... That's completely different (if I can borrow from an old SNL skit). I wasn't trying to stomp all over anyone else's toes or even nopcbs'. Just juxtaposing what I thought to be facts concerning 'my' experiences. It just seemed that a million others might have felt similar. It certainly doesn't mean that another 3 million didn't share the sentiment. (but 1 million sure is a lot of people).
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Jan 2012 @ 10:26

429.1.2012 12:55

The bottom line for me is that Netflix basically kissed customer service goodbye. Sure, I could have kept streaming only, and actually would have seen a reduction in cost, but their terrible missteps, obnoxiously arrogant tone of their CEO, and lastly, the sudden removal of the capability to stream to multiple devices unless you have a DVD-by-mail plan, spelled doom for their tentacles in my pocket.

I don't care how nice your product is, if you treat me like poo. Maybe I'm just getting old.

439.1.2012 13:56

Actually their customer service has gotten better from my experience(s) and I've used them a few times recently when signing up again.

But I agree with you Bozobub the CEO's arrogance and like I said almost doubling the price of doing business with them, which I think you are touching on, killed it for most people. But splitting the company was huge too.

I'm back with them because they didn't split the company, Even though I don't need their poor streaming, although for free it was good to preview movies for rent, and they do have more to offer in movies than anyone else at the moment.

As soon as another company comes along that can beat or compete with Netflix I will drop them cold and move on. Blockbuster and Redbox can't even come close but if all I wanted was New Releases then maybe they would suffice.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive