AfterDawn: Tech news

Netflix rumored to be tied to Apple HDTV

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 06 Feb 2012 9:33 User comments (14)

Netflix rumored to be tied to Apple HDTV

Netflix saw its stock rise today after The Verge posted a Best Buy survey that included the still-unconfirmed Apple iTV (HDTV) being linked to the streaming service.
Best Buy surveyed customers asking how they felt about a 42-inch Apple television for $1,499 including streaming services like Netflix and apps from YouTube and Flickr among others.

For its part, Best But says the survey was completely hypothetical: "The customer survey was a routine offer effectiveness survey conducted by one of Best Buy's research partners. Any brand reference was hypothetical."

Apple's long-rumored iTV is expected to finally be released this year, as even Steve Jobs said before he passed that Apple had "cracked" the nut that was holding the TV back.

As expected, the device will be run on iOS, support iCloud, be controllable from an iPhone or iPad and have a camera for FaceTime (and Skype).

Previous Next  

14 user comments

16.2.2012 23:43

I know the Best Buy survey is all hypothetical but Apple couldn't get away with selling the TV for $1500! That would be insane.

26.2.2012 23:47

don't count on that.

37.2.2012 00:12

I agree with ddp. They already sell a 27" monitor for a grand alone. And while its debatable that the quality and features justifies the price and makes it competitive with other displays in its class..If they released anything cheaper or even close to the monitor's price, it would kill off their cinema display sales. I don't know if apple sells a lot of them, but if you could just use the Apple HDTV as your monitor for cheaper, why not?

Also, ddp I'm curious but do you ever write any articles on here. I always wondered that.

47.2.2012 00:25

nope as i'm just a non paid moderator whereas the writers of the news get paid.

57.2.2012 09:28

If apple can sell the iPhone4S for $300+contract, they can sell a 42" TV for $1500. They just tell their sheep what to buy and it is bought. Heck, they could probably sell it for $1500 even if it had no HDMI ports.

67.2.2012 11:01

Originally posted by KillerBug:
If apple can sell the iPhone4S for $300+contract, they can sell a 42" TV for $1500. They just tell their sheep what to buy and it is bought. Heck, they could probably sell it for $1500 even if it had no HDMI ports.
If CrApple can sit on $100 billion free & clear they can give away several dozen 42" TVs & not even feel it. That "NUT" they were talking about cracking was indeed their customer base's.

The TV will be such sub-par quality, get horrible off air reception (your TV stand is holding it wrong) & your cable provider probably won't support it. You'll have to have an iTunes account & it takes over your entire wifi router.

Given CrApple's business model, if they can't make a 7-8x's mark-up on release date, they won't sell it. After 6-9 months if it settles to 5-6x's over manufactured cost, you'll think you got a deal.

All but another reason why I simply will not purchase from Apple. I swear, I pack my ass with steel wool before I pass through that section of Best Buy just out of pure self preservation.

77.2.2012 11:38

Originally posted by LordRuss:
Originally posted by KillerBug:
If CrApple can sit on $100 billion free & clear they can give away several dozen 42" TVs & not even feel it. That "NUT" they were talking about cracking was indeed their customer base's.

The TV will be such sub-par quality, get horrible off air reception (your TV stand is holding it wrong) & your cable provider probably won't support it. You'll have to have an iTunes account & it takes over your entire wifi router.

Given CrApple's business model, if they can't make a 7-8x's mark-up on release date, they won't sell it. After 6-9 months if it settles to 5-6x's over manufactured cost, you'll think you got a deal.

All but another reason why I simply will not purchase from Apple. I swear, I pack my ass with steel wool before I pass through that section of Best Buy just out of pure self preservation.
I figured you must've had something up your ass.

87.2.2012 11:47

Originally posted by pensfan12:
I know the Best Buy survey is all hypothetical but Apple couldn't get away with selling the TV for $1500! That would be insane.
why not? everything else they sell is overpriced

97.2.2012 12:11

Originally posted by deluxe247:
Poignant... well thought out... on topic & to the point. At least you read everything, most others just rant. So, I take it you're camping out at your favorite vendor/retailer for your turn at the "scary uncle" when the TV arrives?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Feb 2012 @ 12:12

107.2.2012 13:29

Originally posted by LordRuss:
Poignant... well thought out... on topic & to the point. At least you read everything, most others just rant. So, I take it you're camping out at your favorite vendor/retailer for your turn at the "scary uncle" when the TV arrives?
No, I have a TV I like, and I actually did read your whole rant. You just ragging on a company for no reason is what got to me. If you don't like Apple, fine, but you don't need to go spewing crap all over the internet about it.

117.2.2012 15:37

A company charging $1500 for a $500 TV just because they have brainwashed their userbase is absolutely MORONIC...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple users deserve what they get.

127.2.2012 19:37

Best But - Lawl

138.2.2012 12:12

No, I have a TV I like, and I actually did read your whole rant. You just ragging on a company for no reason is what got to me. If you don't like Apple, fine, but you don't need to go spewing crap all over the internet about it.
Hmm... you don't know me at all, yet I might have a better grasp of your self centered, condescending persona than you might think.

I know you read my rant... I already commented on that; you're being redundant, which means you like to hear yourself. I.e., conceit.

I ragged about Apple (got me there), but so has a few other folks. I just took a bit of artistic license. Which means you just centered me out, making you bigoted.

Then finally, if you'd done any research at all you'd have known I didn't go any further than the hallowed halls of AfterDawn to trash CrApple's already mired name (in my book, possibly shared by others). It seems my reasons are more than quite valid & quantifiable while you have nothing more than conjecture & circumstance to offer; thus condescension. I.e., false bravado. A drunken, "Come at me bra" if you will.

Most times I'm happy to be the butt of anyone's joke & will be glad to 'cut myself down' before anyone else. However, I believe you did this one for yourself.

1413.2.2012 19:06

Originally posted by pensfan12:
No all they do is put the Apple logo on it and a lot of people will buy it. They will have more money than sense but that is who they appeal to anyway.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive