AfterDawn: Tech news

Windows 8 Metro gets a new logo

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 17 Feb 2012 2:56 User comments (10)

Windows 8 Metro gets a new logo

Microsoft has revealed a new logo today for Windows 8, one that features a single-color design and will be based on the Metro user interface.
The new logo has an angled window, which Microsoft says will give a sense of motion "aligning with the fast and fluid style you'll find throughout Windows 8."

Design consultants Pentagram came up with the new look, and the firm wanted to move away from the current logo which they believed looked more like a flag than an actual window. Says Microsoft of the decision: "'Windows' really is a beautiful metaphor for computing, and with the new logo we wanted to celebrate the idea of a window, in perspective."

Metro, which is part of Windows 8 for PCs and tablets, is touch-friendly and feature tiles rather than the icons connecting to apps that have been seen since the original Windows with GUI.

Windows 8 is expected to be available in the fall, with a consumer preview being released in the next month.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

117.2.2012 15:53

Dont care how it looks..HOW well does it function?

217.2.2012 16:35

Sill not convinced to buy it......Try harder, Microsoft.

317.2.2012 17:20

the whole metro tile system looks like it was made for monkeys.

417.2.2012 18:53

Originally posted by palwill:
the whole metro tile system looks like it was made for monkeys.
Yep they are pretty much dumbing down the OS with each new iteration. And I thought Windows 7 was bad.

517.2.2012 19:15

ugly logo

617.2.2012 20:56

I wont judge until its finally released in its full form

718.2.2012 07:31

looks like an updates windows 1.0 logo to me

818.2.2012 12:27

Originally posted by david94:
looks like an updates windows 1.0 logo to me
That is what I thought. Until I saw the time line, I knew I saw the logo before. Guess what is old is new again. Maybe like the GUI and frustration from 1.0 or even 3.0.

918.2.2012 14:01

Great, a blase' design taking up a maximum amount of space with a aqua blue color reminiscent of the similar blue/green I see used all over Korean advertisements.

I'm with everyone else. This had better be a solid release, with respectable operation or all hell is going to break loose again.

1018.2.2012 18:19

Now they just need to add a new DirectX version for it that won't be available for previous versions to make gamers upgrade.

Seriously, though, I hope they at least keep the registry setting to disable the horrific MetroUI. And as I've mentioned before, PLEASE put a true XP Classic mode in, as it totally sucks in Vista/7.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive