AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft reveals end-of-life dates for Windows OSs

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 20 Feb 2012 3:27 User comments (18)

Microsoft reveals end-of-life dates for Windows OSs Microsoft Japan has revealed the end-of-life dates for its last three Windows operating systems.
Here is the list, which includes extended support for Vista and 7:

Windows XP 4/8/2014

Windows Vista 4/11/2017

Windows 7 1/14/2020

Adds the company:
Changed the lifecycle policy for extended support, Microsoft provides a consistent customer use Windows client operating system (OS) services. Will be applied the extended support for Windows 7, Windows Vista consumer products.

Available service packs for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 product currently supported this change's customers are subject to up to 10 years of security update provides will regardless of the Edition.

More info here: Microsoft quietly extends consumer support for Windows 7, Vista

Previous Next  

18 user comments

120.2.2012 15:38

Good old XP is still hanging in there... Kind of figured all but any support had disappeared for XP by now. Other than some security updates I haven't really seen anything designated as a Service Pack. Not on an end user level anyway.

220.2.2012 16:15

LONG LIVE XP!!!

320.2.2012 22:50
mbtuner1
Unverified new user

With the rise of Android maybe Windows 8 is all done pretty soon!

421.2.2012 05:25

I would give XP Vista's end of life date of 2017.Long live XP!!!!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Feb 2012 @ 5:26

521.2.2012 22:27

My bet is Microsoft will see the whole XP style saga repeated with Windows 7.
Every time the installed base gets so large & the OS so ubiquitous the inertia against adopting a new OS just grows and grows.
Nothing wrong with that of course, everyone in business would love to be such a victim of success that way.

So I'd bet Windows 8 will be a tepid seller (like Vista probably, with by far the most sold as a new PC OS).

Windows 9 or whatever they call it will probably be the one.....after they extend W7 support & come up with a cost effective deal that will attract custom as happened with XP/Win7.

622.2.2012 01:53

Originally posted by ivymike:
LONG LIVE XP!!!
Good GOD...XP sux! You people are old dogs that either can't learn new tricks or don't want to. Either way....typical mainframers.

722.2.2012 09:51

Originally posted by zro214:
Originally posted by hearme0:
LONG LIVE XP!!!
Good GOD...XP sux! You people are old dogs that either can't learn new tricks or don't want to. Either way....typical mainframers.

U mm You obviously don't know that vista sucked so much ass that people stayed on XP because they wanted a solid OS and not some flashy glass POS that had people banging there heads on the wall and BTW edited by ddp
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Feb 2012 @ 10:16

822.2.2012 10:17

hearme0, mainframers?

922.2.2012 13:09

Originally posted by hearme0:
LONG LIVE XP!!!
XP is probably the most reliable and overall best OS Microsoft has produced. Real PC users know how bad vista blows. Theres a lot of people in poorer countries that are still running XP. Also for businesses, the costs of upgrading the OS are also very high (os itself, hardware upgrades, labour hrs, etc). Why upgrade to a crappy OS when the old one works just fine and even better? Windows 7 is better than XP in my opinion, but people are still currently upgrading to it. Not everyone has $200 to buy a new copy of windows dude.

1022.2.2012 13:57

I think (and as I suspect with a lot of comment this is what I've read and not personal experience) the turth is that Vista was clunky to start with but after SP1 got a heck of a lot better.
I know my Mrs' laptop was just fine with it, no complaints or problems at all.
I stuck with XP until around Sept last year when I finally did a clean install of Windows 7 on a brand new drive.
It works very well & I've not had any problems.
It was also a bargain.
I got my copy for £45 ($70) under the deal Microsoft were doing to attract people to move on a while back (I had sat on it for months waiting for Win 7 SP1 to come out).

Vista got a bad name but that sort of bad PR sticks I guess.

But sooner or later you have to admit that XP is almost 10yrs old & with the way tech & computing advances hanging on to it is just never going to be the smartest idea after a certain stage.

Good job they support them for as long as they do tho.

There's plenty of other businesses everywhere barely willing & able to support their products for 2yrs nevermind 10 or 11.

1122.2.2012 21:17

i really laughed at this because of one major flaw in there thinking.

1. internet explorer 10 is 7 and 8 windows only which means that flash player will drop support for xp before the cut off date no youtube anyone or how about no hulu instead.

the main reason i don't care about windows is by the time apple has mountain lion out this summer microsoft will be behind apple by two os versions this is why i went apple i will have the latest features before windows 8 and i won't be required to deal with the 64 bit rig job that is windows 8
and if you think your going to pirate windows 8 think again microsoft has spyware rigged right into the os to monitor your every move why you are online.

1223.2.2012 07:38

megaunderhead

If you want an apple then that's great.
I personally prefer the greater versatility & compatability of a Windows system - which is the same reason, although to a much lesser degree than apple, why Ubantu & the rest do not appeal either.

1323.2.2012 12:46

Originally posted by megadunderhead:

the main reason i don't care about windows is by the time apple has mountain lion out this summer microsoft will be behind apple by two os versions this is why i went apple i will have the latest features before windows 8 and i won't be required to deal with the 64 bit rig job that is windows 8
and if you think your going to pirate windows 8 think again microsoft has spyware rigged right into the os to monitor your every move why you are online.
1. You number things that needn't be numbered.

2. Nothing upon nothing, including your beloved CrApple OS is hackable, thus rendering your argument invalid.

3. Mountain Lion is another upgrade, not really an OS. It's like saying FireFox has had another version upgrade or that Atheism is a religion or masturbation is a sexual position; interesting in concept, but nothing in its breakdown or rebuild says it's a brand new OS. Nice try.

4. Windows wasn't looking to sell to CrApple users. We/they know you folks are a lost cause. Cults are a like any other addicts; you have to hit rock bottom before you realize anything worth having you have to work for. That means your computer as well.

What, you think CrApple doesn't know your every move? You really are naive. Sign here, give us all your money, don't ask questions, we don't care what you want - either completely agree to our unsatisfactory demands or you can't use our [insert product here]...

Enjoy the snozzberries, I'll get to Win 8 when the hackers are ready for me. That should be about 48 hours after the public release candidate. Just like the others.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Feb 2012 @ 12:49

1425.2.2012 22:51

I still install XP when people bring their old clunky computers with their XP key shining. Funny thing is how the Vista Keys are always faded gone. And I have yet to really work with 7 - only installed it a few times. I guess I am one of those typical main-framers: if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I agree, XP rocks. It goes on the internet, works with USB, seems to handle whatever hardware I throw at it.. what more do you need? And, except for all those adverts on the walls, a website like this will function just fine with barely 800 Mhz. But not with Vista, but I am guessing yes with 7? If yes with 7 on 1.6Ghz, then I'll stop with XP installs and start demanding my poor friends upgrade.

Sometimes though, if the computer is running a machine, the software upgrade might cost much more than $200. I work with one manual CMM where the software would be $12k plus a yearly fee: I just stick with the DOS version for now.

4. Dr. Russ, I like what you've done here. What happened to your website? It's been 8 months.

Finally, I recommend ditch Windows, ditch X, go Puppy Linux. OSFA

1526.2.2012 08:51

Long live Ubuntu! "F" Microsoft.

1626.2.2012 11:42

Who uses IE any version? im sure FF,O and C will support flash on XP for a long time to come.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Feb 2012 @ 11:42

1726.2.2012 17:55

i use ie 8 on both xp & win7 plus have firefox 3.6.3.

1827.2.2012 06:27

I have IE9, Firefox, Chrome & Opera.
I wouldn't limit myself to just one (of anyone's browser.)

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive