1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lenovo 560 bios password help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mav3172000, Feb 29, 2012.

1. mav3172000

mav3172000 Member

ok i have a lenovo 560 laptop that was given to me that has a bios password that i don't know and the hdd is locked. the bios is not that simple as pulling the cmos battery being it is soldered to the board. I looked for the bios jumper or dipswitch and could not find. Ive tryed dos based programs to crack it with no luck. That isn't the biggest problem i really need to crack the hdd password being this is where a friends important info is on and he needs it badly. The hdd is a seagate 320g (st9320325as). To make a long story short his ex-girlfriend is the reason we are doing this.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..THANKS

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

3. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

you have a nice doorstop

lenovo will not tell you the password or help in any way
    there is an aussie guy who will tell you to buy components use the finished article to read your bios and then tell you the answer for money but i have no idea if he is teling the truth or if it'sa scam

4. mav3172000

mav3172000 Member

lenovo was no help. they want $80 up front and then they said it may cost more. Also they said all data would be lost and he really needs the info on the drive. They gave me a number for another place but never could get through, was on hold for an hour each time. I would love to get a hold of PC3000 setup to unlock the drive just to get the data off it. But it is very expensive and i dont know anyone that has it with the hardware. Even buying it u have got to watch it because there is cloned ver out there and are limited and won't work. If i knew what hex lines held the password for the hdd i have a way to do it but it is hard to tell witch lines hold the password in a hex editor. well thanks for the response. yeah im hesitant to pay out for something if i don't know if it is legit.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

seagate do a locked drive unlock tool.. as do wd .. but.... data is always toast. The cmos password is easy, just short out the battery connections or run a bios update utility from floppy ;)

How does a utility such as HDAT2 or HDDScan report the security status of the drives? If it is reported as "locked", then the drives have an ATA password. I believe this is written to the Vendor Track in the hidden System Area on the platters.

In this case you could use a paid solution such as HDDUnlock:
    http://www.hddunlock.com/

Otherwise you could use a free solution such as SeDiv, but you will need to connect to the drive via its serial terminal interface using a TTL RS232 circuit.

You could use a USB-serial dongle such as is discussed in this thread:
    http://forums.seagate.com/t5/ATA-a [...] 036#M19464

SeDiv - HDD Seagate Terminal for Windows can be obtained here:
    http://sediv2008.narod.ru/Easy1014.rar (software)
    http://sediv2008.narod.ru/HelpEn.rar (documentation)

BTW, SeDiv is time limited. You will see a message which translates to "This version is outdated". Try setting your system date back to around April 28, 2009 (date stamp of SeDiv.exe).

There IS another way, but I reckon unless you are some serious hardcore hardware hacker it's going to be completely beyond you... The simple way is to swap the drive platters into another identical drive.. thats the EASY way.. but us old skool people can think of others involving reading eeproms and working out what the hashes are for the lock master password.. investigate i2c tools ;)

Got to be careful just how much info is thrown into public domain.. there is a reason for security locks.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  7. mav3172000

mav3172000 Member

8. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

9. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

well i was hoping someone would find a way round the password because i haven't. it's an ibm thing to protect data but the thieves don't know about it. there ought to be a way for them to fix it if you have receipts but they never seem to want to know.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mav, have you tried connecting that drive to another pc to see if can access the drive?