1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fed up with usenetserver looking for new provider

Discussion in 'Usenet newsgroups - Help, how-tos and discussion' started by phate316, Mar 1, 2012.

1. phate316

phate316 Member

Hi ive been with usenetserver for about 7 years now, and im finding more and more that there content isnt standing up to the competetion as well anymore, newzbin seems to hit more dead links article not founds and 8080 server errors alot more now, so im leaning towards either astraweb or giganews any suggestions on who is top dog these days

Cheers

2. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I like and use astraweb

3. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

+1 For Astrawweb

$50 for 1000GB(1TB) of traffic!!!!

You can buy a cheaper package just to test them out though....

4. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Actually right after I wrote that response I started having problems, I noticed that a lot of content was being removed from the servers. I have heard that a company called tweaknews is the way to go. Plus I believe they offer unlimited for a year for cheaper than astraweb.

I don't know what other providers I should be looking at.

5. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

Check out this article about US vs Euro based newsgroup providers and their comprehensive provider recommendations.
    http://www.ngprovider.com/euro-based-usenet-providers.php

Basically they recommend having a primary account with your favorite provider, then getting a second (backup) account with a provider based in the alternative country to your primary provider. If one provider has a take down request for some content, it is unlikely that the provider in the alternate country would have the same take down request at the same time which increases your chances of downloading the desired files.

6. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Thanks for the article, I will check it out. I'm a recent graduate and have not yet found a job so I might not be able to swing to providers for a while. In the future it may be worthwhile option for me.

Thanks again.

7. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

U probably talking about having two monthly subscriptions.... Get a monthly subscription of your primary provider, then just get a non expiring block account on the secondary one to use when u run into missing files.

8. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

That is the route I was thinking about going. You can call it cheap or be more kind and call it frogle but I was just trying to keep the expenditure to a minimum. I pay $100 once a year for my current USENET subscription.

I'm not even sure what provider I would go with besides Demonnews, who I haven't tried yet. Back when I moved over to Astraweb it was not uncommon to see a USENET provider promoting themselves as "uncensored" which I believe is what I'm looking for. Now the only major provider I have seen that mentions they are uncensored is Demonnews.