1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recovery not working due to new hd change

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by soberfree, May 12, 2012.

1. soberfree

soberfree Regular member

hi every1.
    2 yrs ago i bought a laptop (HP dv6)i5 running on window 7 and i created a set of recovery disc. recently the hard drive dead, so i replace with a 320GB WD hard drive which is smaller than the original hd (640Gb). i try to use the recovery disc to reinstall os and it did install all 5 recovery disc. then after the fifth disc it eject from dvd drive,it ask to press continue to restart window, i did, and it said No bootable device..insert bootdisk and press any key.
    does anyone know why??? or the recovery disc do not work on a new fresh Hard drive. any solution will be appreciate...

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Sounds like the no boot device issue is when the MBR is damaged or missing.
    The system keeps a back up of this in the root drive and can be recovered.
    The easiest fix it to have a Vista or W-7 DVD and NOT A backup!
    Boot to it and choose Startup Repair.You may want to double check and make sure the new hard drive is plugged in correctly and not a loose connection.Check your bios configuration also to make sure it recognizes the hard drive.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  3. attar

attar Senior member

If this is a system image created by Windows, I believe the new hard drive has to be the same size or larger than the original.

4. soberfree

soberfree Regular member

thx for the word MBR (master boot record), i google it and fix the problem through command promt and the recovery disc work fine... thx again

5. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Your welcome I had the same thing happen to me before a few dozen times.

6. amlan2bai

amlan2bai Member

Brother i have the same problem like you.i remove the 640gb hard disk and install 500gb harddisk...so as u said that u already fix it.so can u plz tell me in details how to do it???if u reply,i'll be grateful to you

7. spidervip

spidervip Member

I have the problem would any one help me how to repair the mbr in hp pavilion 3020ee
    because my new hard drive working correctly but not showing in bios

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

spidervip, start your own thread as hijacking another member's thread is a forum rule no no. i'll reply in your new thread.

9. spidervip

spidervip Member

sorry ddp

10. terryromance

terryromance Member

However, I decided to try to clone the drive first, and this is the sequence of events that worked for me:

- Cloned the old hard drive using Clonezilla (the LiveCD didn't work for some reason, so I used a USB stick instead)
    - Put the image file on the new hard drive using Clonezilla
    - Windows would not load - not even a little. The main partition was not mountable, even using PuppyLinux
    - I put in the recovery discs that I received from HP, but it still said it wouldn't work with the hard drive
    - Restarted the computer, hit escape and got to a menu of options
    - Chose "recovery" from amongst the options, which included things like booting options, BIOS, etc.
    - Followed the screens, and it used the recovery partition (which -WAS- mountable, even though the other partition that was C: was not)
    - Reinstalled Vista flawlessly from the recovery partition
    Read more at www.transfer-iphone-recovery.com

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013