1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you backup your ipod music?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by jayceww, May 25, 2012.

1. jayceww

jayceww Member

I wanna download some new music but my ipod’s running out of space. I really don’t wanna delete any single song, how can i backup them to my computer? They said I can copy the songs to anywhere on pc but that didn’t work at all, when ipod was pluged in there was no music(only some pictures) shown on the computer! I know there must be one solution, anyone know how ?

2. Mez

Mez Active member

If you did not get your tunes from itunes then...
    There is a review under the top sticky in the audio forum. Near the bottom there is a review of 50 sync apps. I like sharepod. You can also just copy them out with windows explorer. They are in a hidden folder called control. If you search this forum you will find detailed instructions to backup your tunes. You ought to do that anyway. ipods do die. If you never back it up you are certain to lose everything some day.

3. tipperjames

tipperjames Member

1.Open the iPod control folder then open the music folder. Copy each one of those folders (should look similar to these: F00, F01 ...) onto your computer.
    You can do this by creating a new folder on your desktop and dragging the files into the folder.
    2.Open iTunes and insert the new folder you created on your computer's desktop into: library ---> Music
    3.You can now sync your iPod to this new computer without losing all of your music.
    More Review about iPod Music to Transfer:
    How to transfer music/songs from iPod to PC
    How to transfer and copy music from iPod to Mac

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  4. Mez

Mez Active member

It is far easier to copy the whole lot but then there are in all those little folders. That's why it makes sense to use a free utility that makes it all very easy.

Then use a utility or Media Monkey to put the file names back by using the tag info.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  5. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

www.getsharepod.com
    Sharepod is great to back up the entire IPOD and is free of charge.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not an "iphone-general discussion" issue.

7. wocdonm

wocdonm Member

+1 for sharepod

8. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

I use copytrans but it works only if you are on a PC. If you have an ipod Touch, you can also try iTunes Match or Spotify to stream your music instead of storing it on your iPod.

9. berrymartin

berrymartin Member

Well if you bought those songs on iTunes I think it’s easy to get them back, because they should be linked to your account so you can download them for free again.
    But if those music on your ipod are from other computers via itunes, you may not transfer them from ipod to pc because itunes can only transfer these files from itunes to your ipod touch. In that case you will need some other tools to do that. Google iPod Transfer and maybe you can find something useful.

Regards,
    Berry Martin

10. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

11. clavedozz

clavedozz Member

It is very easy to transfer your ipod song to PC with third party software. Using third party apps will ensure your ipod music and other data stay safe.

12. qing2

qing2 Member

It’s easy to get those music back if you bought them on iTunes, because they should be linked to your account so you can download them for free again. That means you don’t have to backup them to your PC/Mac.
    But if those music on your ipod were ripped from CD or via other ways, you may not transfer them from ipod to pc because itunes can only transfer these fiels from itunes to your ipod. In that case you will need some other apps to do that.
    More info:
    How to transfer or backup music from iPod to PC
    How to transfer or backup music from iPod to Mac

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  13. Mez

Mez Active member

That is why you would use something like sharepod or just copy the files out manually. If you use the latter method you will need to rename the file names. The ipod scrambles the names.

14. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

i like share pod if you have the same song same artist in different albums some times it over writes the 1st with the second, im an i-pod classic 160 gb user and mine is full mind.

another one you could look at

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  15. KaoerGreen

KaoerGreen Newbie

Some of the information below has subsequently appeared in a document by turingtest2: Recovering your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device -

Your i-device was not designed for unique storage of your media. It is not a backup device and media transfer was planned with you maintaining a master copy of your media on a computer which is itself properly backed up against loss. Syncing is one way, computer to device, updating the device content to the content on the computer, not updating or restoring content on a computer. The exception is iTunes Store purchased content, or you can vibosoft.com/ios/transfer-music-from-ipod-touch-nano-shuffle-computer.html

iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer - only purchases from iTunes Store

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  16. wAmjok

wAmjok Newbie

Just plug your iPod to computer then sync the music to iTunes.

If you can't see the music files,maybe they have been hidden.

Go to search for them from hidden folder.

More problem please refer to this article of How to transfer iPod music to PC

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  17. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

you can drag music movies to your pod from itunes but not the other way leave itunes closed as they clash (untick open itunes when pod connected in itunes) check this site out back pod up with close sharepod and drag backed up files to C:/music/itunes/automatically add to itunes while sharepod closed and itunes open TADA you'll watch the music appear in itunes

18. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

to sync it would have to already be on itunes to sync to ipod