1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreambox,openbox,other boxes

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by joditpinkit, Jun 13, 2012.

1. joditpinkit

joditpinkit Member

Advice on getting a box,which is the best and where can you recommend to get one.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how about posting in the right box as not a "receivers & amplifiers" issue. moved.

3. darn24p

darn24p Regular member

it all depends on ur budget cheapest hd starts around £50 for a openbox s11 hd and easy enough to set up

4. piopat

piopat Active member

as darn says the box you get is dependent on your budget but also what you would like from a box .

the openbox s9/s10/s11/s12 is a budget hd box ,it only costs about €60 to €70 euro give or take and for that price its a good box ,it will give you all the free to air channels sd and hd ans pay channels with cs ,you just have to remember its a budget box its not a sky+ hd box and never will be and the same applies to most boxes .

if your on a budget and not bothered about hd then a dm500s is a good box to have ,but the price would be about the same as the openbox .

of course if your budget stretches to around the €200 mark you could look at a dm800hd pro or dm800 se ,again both will give you all free to air sd and hd channels and pay channels with cs ,but again a dreambox will never be a sky+ hd box .but atleast with a dreambox you can add a half decent epg guide and a hard disk drive for recording etc .

another box to consider in this price range is the blade bm7000 ,its hd and its 3d compatable (with a 3d tv of course )it has a 7 day epg guide and you can install channel lists (simillar to bouquets )using the remote control,and its capable of recording like the dreambox .

if your budget can stretch to between €300 and €400 give or take the vu+ duo is worth considering .its linux so its very much like a dreambox ,but it has two tuners so you can record one channel while watching another ,and its quite well supported so you could get a good epg guide etc ,and this is probably one of the few boxes that comes close to a sky+ hd box .of course in order to record a channel while watching another the box will need two seperate satellite feeds ,so if your dish has a single feed lnb only (with only one cable )then you would need to change the lnb to a dual lnb (that can take two cables) or a quad lnb (that can take 4 cables ).

when buying a box you also have to consider that a box may not come with a hard disk drive as standard so if your wanting to record be sure to query that with your supplier ,if it doesnt come with a hdd as standard obviously you will have to buy a hdd .also you have to add the cost of p+p to the overall costs .

5. cactikid

cactikid Active member

word of warning about some dodgy vu clone boxes,a lot of posts about bad psu boards that had got wet or stored in damp conditions on the duo box,and plenty of people having flashing issues and maybe bricking boxes.
    false advertising on the skybox f3 says there is a spdif and digital coax out,not on any images i viewed originals or clones.

6. joditpinkit

joditpinkit Member

Sorry
    sorry

7. joditpinkit

joditpinkit Member

thanks
    Yeah,am actually on a budget don't want to spend more than a 100,any advice thanks.

8. joditpinkit

joditpinkit Member

yeah,am on a budget don't want to spend more than a 100,do you have one(open box) or do you know someone who has one,can they recommend it or can it.thanks

9. piopat

piopat Active member

with a budget of £100 your choices are a dm500s or an openbox ,as i said the dm500s is a good box for the low cost but it must be remembered it is a budget box and its not hd (but for the price i can recommend it ). the openbox is hd and it only costs a little more than the dm500s ,but like the dm500s its a budget box .and so while these boxes are god value for the relatively small price they are still budget boxes and as such no comparisson to a sky tv box ,but both of these boxes will give access to all free to air channels and the pay channels with a c line .these two boxes would probably be the only two whos price falls within your budgetry constraints and which offer the option of being capable of using a c line to open pay channels .

10. darn24p

darn24p Regular member

yep as piopat said not much of a choice with a £100 budget unless u get a second hand box but if its ur first sly box go for the openbox s11 once u get the hang of stuff ie setting up flashing getting a c-line then move onto a bigger and better box

for a 100 u could get a box and 6 months c-line

11. mancred

mancred Regular member

Dreambox 500s clone is a superb starter box - I still have one in my room linked to my main 800 hd in the sitting room & has never let me down.

12. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

OP you don't say if you have a satellite dish installed, if you don't have a dish then ALL the above boxes recommended will not work for you, if you only have cable then you are looking at getting a Kryptview box, if you do have a sat dish I can highly recommend an openbox s10 or s11, very easy to set up and well supported.

13. joditpinkit

joditpinkit Member

Thanks for you advice,I have a sat dish.is Openbox s10 or s11 flashed the same way as a dream box.I have only being concentrating on dreambox.

14. joditpinkit

joditpinkit Member

I don't mind spending a little more,am just afraid to start with sometime on the high side and then destroy the box(money wasted).what do you think?

15. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

No openboxes are flashed using a usb pen drive and is so easy to do, you say you can maybe go a bit higher in price, if that is the case have a look at the Blade boxes for the HD box is around £150, and don't worry about bricking boxes as the people on here have seen it all before and can help you out with almost anything.

16. darn24p

darn24p Regular member

but just remember u will have to add the cost of a c-line the blade is a great box but like dave said openbox very easy to flash and setup takes 10 mins if ur a newbie lol
    just make sure to check if u get 1 that it if its a clone u flash with the correct firmware or it be fooked when u decide on what ur getting just post up here and all the friendly helpfull ppl will help u or pm me if u need any flashes or channel lists

17. joditpinkit

joditpinkit Member

Thanks for the advice,is there any website you can recommend or person or place where I can get a good one?just trying to be careful.PM me please.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  18. piopat

piopat Active member

i agree with darn you need to be carefull when putting the firmware in the openbox as clone firmware can brick an original openbox ,however this does not mean the box will be dead .a bricked openbox can be fixed by flashing the box with null modem cable and the correct firmware .

19. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

http://www.blademedia.tv/index-1.html thats the official website for that box and from here you can find official suppliers personally I would recommend skywonder, for an openbox there are many for sale on ebay and aliexpress etc, and when your ready I will send you a PM of what site to join if you will be looking for a cline.

20. joditpinkit

joditpinkit Member

Thanks for the recommendation,I don't know much about blade is it the best in the market?you mentioned skywonder,I google it but couldn't get it.is there a website?