1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to backup iPhone data

Discussion in 'iPhone - General discussion' started by hanoobal, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

What are some ways in which you can backup your iPhone contacts, iPhone apps, iPhone music and videos? Here is a quick and quite an incomplete yet list. Will add more ways as ideas come:

Backing up iPhone multimedia: including music, videos, etc.

CopyTrans Suite - back up iPhone audio/video tracks , podcasts, voice memos, audio books playlists, ratings, apps, and photos to computer or computer's iTunes

iRip - back up iPhone music, videos, and playlists to PC, voice memos and audio books included

iTunes - transfer iPhone photos and purchased material from the iTunes store bewteeen PC and iPhone. Requires iTunes sync

Music Liberator - back up iPhone audio/video tracks , podcasts, voice memos, audio books playlists to a PC folder - does not support direct transfer to PC iTunes

Senuti - back up iPhone audio/video tracks , playlists to Mac. Hint: read the name of the program backwards!

SharePod** - back up iPhone audio/video tracks , playlists to PC, manages iPhone without iTunes, integrated media player

** Supports up to iOS 4 (i.e. iPhone 3G). If you have an iPhone with iOS 5 + choose another tool

Complete iOS backup (apps, documents, settings, messages, camera roll, contacts, calendars, etc)

CopyTrans Shelbee
    - back up and restore iPhone without iTunes for free

iCloud - back up iPhone to your iCloud account (up to 5 GB of free storage)

iTunes - back up iPhone to Windows/Mac computer

Backing up iPhone contacts

CopyTrans Contacts - back up iPhone contacts to computer as vCard and CSV files

Google Sync - sync iPhone contacts between your iPhone and your Google (Gmail) account

iCloud - send and sync your iPhone contacts to and with Apple's dedicated Cloud servers

iTunes - computer to iPhone one-way contact transfer (i.e. Outlook to iPhone or Windows Contacts to iPhone)

My Contacts Backup - back up iPhone contacts to your email account

Duplicate Remover - this is more of a contact tool to remove iPhone contact duplicate entries

Backing up iPhone calendars and notes

CopyTrans Contacts - along with contacts, this multi-data utility also backs up iPhone calendars and notes

iCloud - send and sync your iPhone notes to Apple's dedicated Cloud servers

iTunes - computer to iPhone one-way calendar transfer (i.e. Outlook to iPhone)

Google Calendars and Google Sync - back up iPhone calendars and notes* to your email account (Gmail)

iCal - back up iPhone calendars to your Mac

Evernote - use this app instead of the iPhone-native Notes app. Requires an account with Evernote - stores your iPhone notes on the Evernote servers

*iOS 4 and up

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. jamespdavid001

jamespdavid001 Member

iCloud and iTunes can back up most data on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Connect your iPhone to your computer and open up iTunes. In the left menu, right-click on your iPhone and you will see a bunch of options. Just select the ?Back Up? option and the process will begin. Just be patient, it may take a couple of minutes, depending on how much data you have to backup. To know more about it visit:--

3. etFan

etFan Member

Hello. I am trying to sync a Note to my iPhone. I typed in the Note in my icloud account on my PC Safari but the note did not get to the iphone. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? thank you.

4. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

Are you sure you have your Notes iCloud sync enabled on your iPhone? On your iphone go to Settings > iCloud and check whether the slider next to Notes is moved to ON.

5. deadpixel1

deadpixel1 Newbie

icloud is the easiest option though there are others wher you can back up direct to you PC via cable

6. birgitstorch

birgitstorch Member

iTunes will backup everything on the iPhone, including music, photos, SMS messages and contacts.
    In iTunes, with the iPhone selected on the left, click the Info tab and make sure data syncing is enabled.
    Or you can find more information from these two pages of "how to back up iPhone data to computer" and "how to back up iPhone data to Mac".
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. berrymartin

berrymartin Member

Connect your iPhone to your computer and open up iTunes. In the left menu, right-click on your iPhone and you will see a bunch of options.
    Just select the “Back Up” option and the process will begin. Just be patient, it may take a couple of minutes, depending on how much data you have to backup. This is always a good idea to do before jailbreaking an iPhone, in case you need to restore.

Once your backup is done, you can view the backups in iTunes. Click “Edit” -> “Preferences” and select the “Devices” tab. Here you can view or delete your backups.
    If you ever need to restore from a backup, just right-click your phone and select “Restore from Backup..”

Regards,
    Berry Martin

8. julacesar

julacesar Newbie

It is very easy to backup iPhone data using comprehensive software.

9. nickeyboy

nickeyboy Newbie

I just have some add-ons to supply. Actually Itunes is a very inconvenient and cumbersome program if you ask me. Since you have to go through a lot of redundant steps to just achieve a simple wish which is adding some music. The procedure would be" add music to the library", then you can "synchronize" the music in the library to your phone/pad. However if you do this second time, it will erase all of your existed files and then you can put the new ones in. How inconvenient is that?
    So I just prefer some other type of programs for data backups and stuffs. Like raid clone and todo backup. They all can transfer data from Iphone and they are much simpler!

10. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

Important information concerning iOS 9 and iPhone app backup. Apple has completely removed the app transfer to PC via iTunes. This means that you can no longer back up iPhone apps on a computer, neither via iTunes, nor via third-party tools like iFunBox, iExplorer and co.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.