1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use Virtual Dub Mod to merge AVI with a new audio mp3 track

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by lon, Jul 12, 2012.

1. lon

lon Regular member

For a few days I have inquired about repairing the audio track of a dvd after ripping to AVI.

I now have a work folder which contains the ripped AVI and the new audio track made in mp3 format and the folder with Virtual Dub Mod all within this working folder.

I run Virtual Dub Mod

File > Video > open AVI

Stream > opens the stream window and shows the AVI

ADD tab to add the mp3

I now have 2 items in the stream window.

I understand that I have to replace the audio in the AVI with my new MP3.

How do I do this? I can't get past this step with any response from Virtual Dub Mod's inscrutable setup.

Please give keystroke instruction with no jargon or shortcut language.

Or if there is a guide for this exact procedure I would be glad to follow it.

2. attar

attar Senior member

In Streams > Stream list, double click on the one you don't want.
    Or highlight it and click the 'Disable' button on the lower right of the pane.
    Check to verify that Video > Direct Stream Copy is set before saving.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  3. lon

lon Regular member

I wish I could put a screen shot in here of what I see:

In the Streams window:

Item one is the AVI

Item two is the mp3 of near exact same length.

That AVI will have it's original audio track which needs to be replaced with Item two.

There's an OK button at the top. Demux, add delete and so forth are for handling the items in the list. I'm trying to understand how the double click business merges Item one video with item two mp3 audio without deleting one or the other.

Example: there is no error check that says "Replace Audio with audio b?"

I apologize if this does not seem clear.

Summarizing:

File > Video > Open video (loads the AVI)
    Stream > Stream List > Open > Add > mp3

gives two items in the list.

Then clicking on either one opens a little window where direct stream is highlighted with a dot.

In item one the speaker Icon is "bright"
    In item two the speaker icon dimmed

Nothing happens.

(This is maddening how much do I have to describe to get this to work?)

Tell me what I should be doing with Item one.

4. attar

attar Senior member

This is a video with one audio - it's shown as 1.
    I added the second audio (2) and disabled (1).
    I saved the video with the new (single) audio stream.
    Note that you can keep both audio streams if you want and select whichever for playback with your media player or standalone player.

[​IMG]

5. lon

lon Regular member

I was just going to try to make a screen shot myself.

This is very helpful because I can see the similarity to what I have.

The saving step is still confusing.

Can you show what the screen looks like that shows the save? I realize that I have to exit and-- what? use the OK button or no? -- then save at the File tab.

If I exit and go to save as something new, there should be some response from the program.

But this is an excellent step forward: to see what the screen looks like. :)

I was about to ask after thinking it over that selecting (1) and demux then delete the
    audio and replace with (2) might be the solution. But you say that this is not involved.

I'm not trying to be thick headed. But I am surprised that simple how to with an illustration such as yours had not been in the Afterdawn archive.

Will watch for replies tomorrow.

Thanks for your answers.

6. attar

attar Senior member

Click 'Video' >'Direct stream copy' - the video part will be saved without processing or recompressing.

Click 'File' > Save as..'
    Pick a location to save the file.
    Give the file a name and in the 'Save as type' box, select 'avi'.
    [​IMG]

More information about VDM here.
    VirtualDubMod
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/vdubmod-procedures.htm

7. lon

lon Regular member

Very good and thank you.

I will report any success. Will get to it later in the day.

This thread should be a keeper. If there is interest, I could add in the previous steps I had to learn and the programs used to get to the point of this shorter thread which contains your images here at After Dawn to make a guide.

Does your link to Doom9 have such a thing? I looked for a guide/etc. there earlier in my search.

8. attar

attar Senior member

Only the Forum is active at Doom9 - the material has not been updated in years (note that VirtualDubMod is no longer updated/supported - but VirtualDub is actively supported.
    The Forum at Doom9 is not newbie friendly - it's geared towards experienced users.

http://forum.doom9.org/index.php

It's probably better to post at Videohelp for specifics.

http://forum.videohelp.com/

There is also the VirtualDub Forum site - the author of the program participates.

http://forums.virtualdub.org/

9. lon

lon Regular member

To this point I have partially done the procedure which finally shows a progress screen where the two files are written by Virtual Dub Mod.

Ok, there is a way to maybe put this information in a form more friendly to noobs at videohelp. My participation in the thread I started there shows the steps needed to:

Analyze an AVI using GSpot or MediaInfo

Separate the Audio and Video using Auto Gordian Knot.

Repair the audio Mp3 with Goldwave-- a program I own with many advanced features --
    or alternatively Audacity which is free.

Then do the procedure with Virtual Dubmod described here-- I'm going to use my entertainment rig which has no load on it to complete but haven't done it yet.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/347485-How-to-reapir-audio-in-AVI

Since they left me hanging at videohelp.com at the point I came over to Afterdawn, could you complete the thread showing your images? I am no good at doing screen captures and yours have the visual highlights. You don't have to tell them I'm doing this. I feel it's only fair to the readers to show these last steps. Just add the images to the bottom of the thread.

"Left me hanging", yeah I'll leave it at that. :-/

10. attar

attar Senior member

I prefer that you add them to a reply yourself.
    Copy the first link shown below, then at VideoHelp, paste it in the reply space.
    Repeat for the second.
    Then if you click 'Go Advanced' instead of 'Post Quick reply' - you get a preview to verify that the images are there.

Code:
    [url=http://postimage.org/][img]http://s10.postimage.org/4fvgugww9/Clipboard01.jpg[/img][/url]

Code:
    [url=http://postimage.org/][img]http://s15.postimage.org/qwp1bglwb/Clipboard01.jpg[/img][/url]

11. lon

lon Regular member

12. lon

lon Regular member

Ok. I'll see how I can handle it.

thanks again.

13. lon

lon Regular member

Completed the two urls over at videohelp. It looks good. I just said I found these two images and it helped me. No squawking about being left hanging.

14. lon

lon Regular member

Continuing with Virtual Dub as we said I got to the point of getting the program going.

The reported size of the audio file is huge.

I cleaned off a scratch disk to try and complete this job. These numbers for an average 90 minute film are so big I can't really reconcile them.

I could have used a little warning b/c what happened was in using my primary boot disk, the uncompleted huge file which took up the remaining disk space caused boot errors. Also I had not handled SATA drives with this problem before. A good google search turned up the answer to make an IDE the master and make sure that it is the first disk to boot in the BIOS. I was then able to remove the 'orphan' file which Virtual Dub was building and saved my primary disk.

I am back in here to figure out what in between steps might be needed to work on the files.
    Or failing that, how to get reasonable output.

And finally, is there a better solution than trying to use Virtual Dub for this? I see this huge file size business as a program flaw not likely to be solved.

Given enough workspace, does Virtual dub then delete the large work file and output video and audio in the AVI as a reasonable size? Under 1 GB is what I want to wind up with.

15. attar

attar Senior member

If your source file is an AVI and if you are not making any changes to the video part, you should ensure that when you save the avi out of Virtualdub that you select 'Video' > 'Direct stream copy' - else you will get uncompressed video - huge multigigabyte files.

If you are making any changes to the video, for example if you use a filter to change the resolution, then you must select 'Video' > Full processing mode'.
    Then you must click 'Video' > Compression..' and select a codec.
    Typically you would have downloaded and installed the XviD codec, it would then be listed and available under 'Compression..'.

[​IMG]

16. lon

lon Regular member

I'm not finding save stream copy.

Here is what I have been doing:

File > Open Video > Open AVI
    Streams > Stream List > opens that screen
    Add > new audio file > audio file adds to list
    Deactivate Video > shows that hatches through the video
    >OK

File > Save as >

and that's where I've lost you.....

I have no idea why this is so difficult.

17. lon

lon Regular member

Forgot to say no video processing being done just the audio.

That's enough for me for today.

Will watch for replies tomorrow.

18. lon

lon Regular member

I have found direct stream copy and put the bullet there. It does not default to direct stream copy then? I had not adjested this setting before.

If the program resets, say when in the series of steps direct stream copy is selected.
    All of these things seem important but I hardly knew or know how to operate this.

19. lon

lon Regular member

When using virtual Dub always reset the Video to 'direct stream' from full video processing.

Virtual Dub > Video > submenu opens and shows full stream processing highlighted > move highlight up to direct stream processing.

Failing to do so and letting the program run could ruin your HD. There is no error protection with full video processing to say "this file is too big and will create an 'orphan file' that the HD cannot recover from." I had to find that out the hard way.

However, once you avoid all the pitfalls with dealing with Virtual Dub Mod, the process did work and went quickly.

Keep fresh backups nearby.

The new audio is now installed with the original video content and the level and normalization seem to be corrected.