1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wavpack questions

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ArtVandalay7, Jul 14, 2012.

1. ArtVandalay7

ArtVandalay7 Member

Hello all...I have a few questions about Wavpack...I have burned most of my CDs to wavpack files using EAC using the hydrogenaudio guide. I am using XBMC as my media player on a softmodded Xbox and the PA player doesn't play the first second or so of wavpack files (although FLAC, mp3, etc. files play correctly). I am considering converting these files to FLAC so that they will play correctly and for more universal support, or is this likely a problem with the XBOX hardware that will be corrected when I upgrade to a HTPC (someday, hopefully!). Also, the wavpack files are lossless, correct, so that if I convert to FLAC files it's apples->apples (i.e. I won't lose any quality)? Thanks for any help!!!

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I bet the wavepack files are not meant to be played. They may be like their CDA files that are not playable. Convert them to something that does work. More importantly, convert them into something your player can play. Players are not magic so they can't play any damn thing you can load into them. They have to have a the software to play a wave pack. Did you check XBMC to see it it can play wave packs? If so then you can find out what you did wrong from them.

3. ArtVandalay7

ArtVandalay7 Member

No, XBMC supports Wavpack. The files play, but the first second doesn't play unless you let the file play until about second 3 and then replay, then it plays correctly...I asked about this in the XBMC forum but didn't get an answer...

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Maybe there is something wrong with them then. I have cut flac and ape albums into tracks and they played just fine. When they were converted to mp3s they were terrible to listen to because of all the loud artifacts. However, lossless->mp3 then cut into tracks had no artifacts. I couldn't find an easy answer as to why. There probably is a reason for your problems but I would just convert the wavepack into mp3s and enjoy the music. Others enjoy 'getting it right even if it takes 100 hrs to do so. That is fine as long as that is your entertainment. Me, I only work if I can hear a difference.

5. ArtVandalay7

ArtVandalay7 Member

Hey, I don't think anything is inherently wrong with the files, I think the player just struggles a bit with them (since if you replay/rewind the file at about 3 seconds in, it plays it from the beginning correctly). It just doesn't play the first second if you double click it to begin with...strange. FLAC files don't behave this way and it seems to be more universal, so I guess I'll start converting all my wavpack files to FLAC...sigh.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Lossless is lossless there is no quality difference between them. There is no preceptable difference between them and high quality lossy. To percive a difference you need equipment that can produce the difference as well as ears that can hear it.