AfterDawn: Tech news

Asus shows off 144 Hz gaming monitor

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 28 Jul 2012 2:22 User comments (10)

Asus shows off 144 Hz gaming monitor Asus has unveiled the first 144 Hz gaming monitor, designed to improve 3D gaming performance.
The monitor, dubbed VG278H, is 27-inches, and will be the first with a panel enabling such a smooth frame rate.

Asus used a Twisted Nematic (TN) LCD panel with 1920x1080 pixel resolution and 2 ms (g2g) response time. On the 3D front, the monitor supports Nvidia's 3D Vision 2, although that will require a separate kit.

For ports, the monitor has HDMI, dual-link DVI, D-SUB VGA and 2x3Watt stereo speakers built-in including an audio jack for headphones.

There was no word on price.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

128.7.2012 16:35

Can't wait for the grand mal seizures to start reporting in. Both either from the rapid firing of images to the optical brain dispatches or the sticker price.

229.7.2012 10:35

Originally posted by LordRuss:
Can't wait for the grand mal seizures to start reporting in. Both either from the rapid firing of images to the optical brain dispatches or the sticker price.
Sticker shock is what I'm thinking. However put a piece of fruit on it and the sticker shock would be be acceptable.

329.7.2012 11:08

nice, its good for gamers

429.7.2012 16:27

Originally posted by molsen:
However put a piece of fruit on it and the sticker shock would be be acceptable.
HEhehehehehehe!!!

53.8.2012 11:54
spam
Vahvistamaton

I look forward to when these become the standard for all monitors - not only for gaming, but for those of us who work with computers all day long. Staring at a 60 Hz 27" LCD Monitor for hours on end truly makes my eyes (and head) hurt. My vision gets blurry by the end of the day sometimes. The much higher refresh rate has been the one thing Ive missed about the big fat old CRTs - so much easier on the eyes!

63.8.2012 13:56

Sorry, but "1920x1080" and "gaming monitor" shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

The movie studios are to blame for the 16:9 format and manufactures follow right along being able to save money by producing cheap panels while trying to sell them for inflated prices to the consumer.

These panels (16:9) are not pc friendly. For monitors, it's 16:10... but of course the younger generation doesn't know what they're missing, so naturally the masses clamor about how they just love their 16:9 panels.

73.8.2012 16:43

Sticker shock is what I'm thinking. However put a piece of fruit on it and the sticker shock would be be acceptable.
Isnt the fruit usually on the back?

83.8.2012 21:45

depends on you hold the fruit as might als be on bottom or side.

94.8.2012 01:13

Is that a fact? 120 - 144Hz, would be easier on the eyes? Mine are ok with my Dell U2410, which I believe is 60Hz. It games well, and Blu-ray is incredible. I mostly bought it for the IPS panel. I do a fair amount of photoshopping, and benefit from the nice color reproduction ;) Perhaps I should build a secondary system, using spare parts, and a better monitor? I have been considering 3D stuff!

104.8.2012 13:26

Originally posted by hvymtlrlz:
Isnt the fruit usually on the back?
Originally posted by ddp:
depends on you hold the fruit as might als be on bottom or side.
Back in my day the fruit was always on the bottom. That was back even before all the Cy-lenol (cyanide in the Tylenol tablets - still to this day haven't caught that asshole) scare, when everything had to go to crazy hermetically sealed, 9 year trip to Venus kind of packaging. That & the grocer was kind enough to stack the tubs upright...

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive