1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with Blu Ray Codecs

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Daeds, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Daeds

Daeds Member

OK I'm running on a genuine WIn7 64bit system on a I5 2500K with 8 GB ram and a Radeon HDD5850 GPU - more than enough to do this by a long way.

I've tried WMP, MPC, MPC-HC, VLC, Tigerplayer from here, REALplayer.

None of them can play a original blue ray movie disc - closest is the MPC-HC which does say that it can't render the file when I try to get it to play a specific file in the STREAM subfolder.

Seems that none of them have the needed codecs for Blue Ray playback if I've worked this out right - and apparently the codec pack I've installed (CCCP) doesn't provided these codecs either.

I had issues with getting MPC-HC to play mkv files but sorted it by flagging on all options in internal filters so I'm thinking that it's just a matter of setting the right codecs in the external filters menu.

Now can someone please help me with a list of the codecs needed to enable my LITE-ON blu ray drive to play blue ray movie discs - please? - pretty please...? doing google searches for this gets me all sorts of weird places and suggsetions - something about decryption, anyHD or something. Very lost

Need help badly - Blu Ray collection is growing rapidly and I can't see them :(

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

3. Daeds

Daeds Member

I've isntalled the codec pack you linked - nice package - but made no difference - still can't get any to paly either the whole disc or an individual file in the Stream folder.

Reading up on anydvd HD seems like its needed if you want to bypass all osrts of logo and menus, and if you watching on less than HD stuff - and I'm on a 1920x1080 monitor and a 1920x1080 TV, both connected via HDMI cable

SO unless AnyDVD HD does something else it doesn't seem needed - and holy carp it's freaking expensive - 64 euroes for it - I could by the full PowerDVD Ultra suite for about that.

am I missing something in MPC-HC settings maybe?

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

5. Daeds

Daeds Member

Haven't tested that yet - was hoping to be able to jsut pop a adisc in and play, and not having to burn it to a HDD file first - or can DVDfab do the decryption thing on a disc that will be played in MPC-HC or will it have to first copy it to HDD

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Did you not receive any proprietary software or the like with your drive that you could install? This is generally the case with playing commercial blu-rays AFAIK.

7. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Your not the only person that is having the same problem playing Blurays on your PC.Usually they will play on a regular Bluray DVD player but not on a Bluray player in a PC because of the codecs.

8. Daeds

Daeds Member

Drive is a only-thing-in-the-box kinda thing I got as a present so no software included sadly - I think I see a purchase of powerdvd standard in my future - I don't have the skill, time, patience or mental health to deal with this much longer.

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'm not sure if playing commercial blu-ray w/o the paid software is possible (this is probably a very uninformed thing to say). I was under the impression they generally bundled PowerDVD to avoid problems like this, hence my asking (I suppose not with OEM drives).

Try this, if you haven't:

http://www.digiarty.com/

Otherwise, you'll need payware - PowerDVD, I think Roxio do something similar (blehhh).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012