1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't erase dvd-rw with nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by h-bomb, Jul 10, 2004.

1. h-bomb

h-bomb Guest

i'm using some imation dvd-rw, just brought a pack of 5. Reason being i have not had much luck copying dvd's with a 50 pack spool of infosmart. i had power cal errors all sorts of stuff going on. thought the smart thing to do would be play around on rw media good brand. i can't even copy data from my HD. I thought i would be safe using RW media because you can erase, no sir e! I have just trashed my second RW disc trying to do a basic data backup.
    Both of which i am unable to erase and start fresh.
    Please help. ps Liteon 8x burner, good system specs, plenty of HD.

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Have you tried both the quick and full erase in nero?
    Having Nero InCD installed causes problems with DVD burning and has also been reported to cause problems with erasing. If you have InCD installed it should be uninstalled. Any other packet writting software like drag & drop or others would also be a problem and should be uninstalled.

It has also been reported that DVDINFOPro may be able to erase some disc's that Nero can't, but make sure the above is not causing the problem.
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi h-bomb, Welcome to the Club :)

You should be OK with Imitation brand RW discs, I like either Sony RW's or Memorex RW's myself, never ever had any trouble with them. I only use RW's to experiment with tough burns or to store backups on. The problem with RW media is that allot of standalone players won't play them. Standalones like the single write media, it's also allot cheaper. As Veblin told you, DVDINFOPro is an excellent (and FREE) program that has a good eraser with it.
    Also, try your OS's format tool. RW's are just too expensive to toss :-(

Now my new little friend, about your DVD backup media, Memorex is a good example as media goes, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. 4 different companies manufacture Memorex BTW and the quality varies widely as you might imagine. Easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can't be trusted - "Who's making your Memorex tonight ?"

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized :-(
    Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which “pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media.
    *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case. Trying to shut down your software and ejecting your DVD then restarting your program and re-inserting the same media recently cleaned has been known to help.

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    “Branded” Ritek G04's or Branded Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced Metal AZO.”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.
    Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a 1/2 dollar($ .50 USD) a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 Branded Verbatim discs or 3 “Branded” Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR, the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as inferior quality and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Let's try the right media for the job - just buy a 5 pack of what we recommend that will settle it once and for all - Don’t cheat though, buy the EXACT media we recommended -

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

BTW, In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to the way the manufacturer’s cut the corners during the manufacture of the discs and the quality control used during manufacturing. And when I say “Branded” that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says “Ritek” or “Verbatim” on the disc itself. The cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than that you are buying now.

cheers,

Pete

PS You can reduce the numbers of errors while burning cheapo media by burning at a reduced speed. It takes longer but what the heck, you’re saving money. Since you’re compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, Movie only, please.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– X[/small]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  4. h-bomb

h-bomb Guest

Thanks Veblin & pete your Knowledge is very valuable.
    Im downloading infopro as i write. How do i format using my OS?????. I have tried both erase types with nero, no joy. These discs are not recognized when i insert them. I have tried checking my aspi files, still working on that one. Have i trashed these discs or are they recoverable?????? hate to be turning $6 discs into coasters. Excuse me for sounding stupid, which programe is INCD & drag n drop. i have smart ripper shrink and nero will this have any affect. I seem to have no probs with CD RW in the new LDW 851s drive. Stupid me didnt save the log error file and im to scared to use another DVD RW.
    Tanks fellas ,,,its raining outside looks like a loooong sunday problem solving.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well h-bomb, that's the problem we have - People coming from CD's to DVD's think they work the same and they don't. DVD's are more intensive to work with and harder for the PC to write to also -

With most CD applications the quality of the CD doesn't matter - with DVD's especially those used when doing DVD backups it's a major factor - in other words, if you're not willing to change media, you may have to forget about doing DVD backups :-(

Usually right clicking your DVD will bring up the option of doing a format in most windows programs.

Using DVD InfoPro, look up at the top and find the pencil with the eraser end toward the disc, that will format your DVD also :)

This will generally be remedied by upgrading your DVD burner's firmware -

Check to see if you have the latest firmware -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Download this program to check your ASPI layer -

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...nguage=English+US&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Time to go to class and learn about your ASPI layer - there is also a download link there for an up-to-date Nero ASPI -

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

You'll find them associated with Nero and Roxio Easy CD Creator - Go to your msconfig and turn Nero's off from there - As far as the latter is concerned, my suggestion would be to delete the entire program. It causes difficulties in the very vast majority of PC's.

Get those squared away and stop back and let us know how you made out -

Cheers,

Pete