AfterDawn: Tech news

Anonymous: We will avenge Demonoid

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 11 Aug 2012 5:05 User comments (49)

Anonymous: We will avenge Demonoid Hacktivist group Anonymous has claimed it will wreak havoc on the Ukranian government for their part in taking down popular torrent tracker Demonoid.
Reads the AnonPR post: "Last week, our generous green friend, the Demonoid, was met with a state sponsored Distributed Denial of Service attack...These illegal actions were then followed up with a raid by Ukraine authorities. In retaliation for your criminal acts against us and the free flow of information, we have already begun an operation against those responsible. Lazers are already being fired."

Last week, the long-standing site was brought down, just days before Deputy Prime Minister Valery Khoroshkovsky's was set to visit the United States.

Earlier that week, the site was hit by a DDoS attack that took the tracker down for an extended period. Government agents arrived at Ukraine's largest data center, ColoCall, at the same time. They copied all the information from the Demonoid servers and then sealed them. ColoCall was then "forced to terminate the agreement with the site."

Previous Next  

49 user comments

111.8.2012 18:23
Midgardr
Unverified new user

Please make them hurt :D and if you can help in facilitating the return or Demoniod all the better. Thanks for doing something ;)

211.8.2012 19:28
DrDeth
Unverified new user

Power to the peeps..!

311.8.2012 19:38
anonnnnnnn
Unverified new user

Hack The Planet

411.8.2012 19:47
DGaF420
Unverified new user

GET EM"!!

511.8.2012 19:53
punktoe
Unverified new user

we will now bring this in to my real life.....if i cant go home
and zone out and down load some shit....well now the rest of you will have to pay! sorry they did it to me...punktoe....

611.8.2012 19:57
Longlivedemonoid
Unverified new user

LONG LIVE DEMONOID!!!!

711.8.2012 20:40
ohnooo
Unverified new user

it looks like the domain demonoid.me is up for sale now...i wonder what that means?

811.8.2012 20:53

Looks like a lot of fakes like this article.

911.8.2012 20:54

my son was right they are down.

1011.8.2012 21:27
ghebert
Unverified new user

Burn the f***ers to the ground! I used to download from Demonoid and buy what I liked. 30 second samples are not the same as listening to an album...the way the artist intended. Demonoid was great for finding music that no other torrent site had...If I can't listen to it I sure as hell won't be buying it you RIAA f***heads. Anonymous has my full support.

1111.8.2012 22:05
MrRight
Unverified new user

If they can by some miracle bring Demonoid back it would definitely make up for those Lulzsec tools.

1211.8.2012 22:09
gogreen13
Unverified new user

yes i miss demonoid i too would love to punish those responsible for the take down go!! ANONYMOUS! They have a badass logo i want a tattoo of that who do i ask for permision !!!!

1311.8.2012 23:10
insurgency
Unverified new user

sigh... not demonoid..

1411.8.2012 23:13
whoyouwishyouwere
Unverified new user

Originally posted by gogreen13:
yes i miss demonoid i too would love to punish those responsible for the take down go!! ANONYMOUS! They have a badass logo i want a tattoo of that who do i ask for permision !!!!
just do it. everyone is anonymous

1511.8.2012 23:24

Originally posted by gogreen13:

Asking a pirate torrent site for permission to use their logo is more than a little ironic.

1612.8.2012 03:11
aeonstom0
Inactive

edited by ddp
do you know these children tricks? I doubt it. that's what you call skills.
don't kid yourself

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Aug 2012 @ 12:43

1712.8.2012 10:26

Frankly, LOIC (Low Orbit Ion Cannon, a DDoS tool popular with Anonymous) doesn't take any "skills" to use. While there certainly are skilled hackers who work with Anonymous, the vast majority of members are merely the lowest grade of "script-kiddie", running prepackaged software and congratulating themselves on their "1337 h4x0r 5k1llz" - lol...

Conversely, while I certainly don't elevate them to some kind of pedestal, I feel that groups like Anonymous are necessary, if not inevitable, in the current, rather authoritarian digital age. Governments and large corporations have zero concern about the rights of their citizens vs. overly-broad copyright laws and draconian punishments (longer than for murder, in many cases!) for various digital infringements. The US and the UK are prime examples of this kind of BS.

My point? Content providers have pretty much made their own bed, and now they get to sleep in it.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Aug 2012 @ 10:27

1812.8.2012 11:04

this sucks ASS. -_-

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Aug 2012 @ 11:04

1913.8.2012 06:19

Yes I'm quite sure DDoSing Mexican police sites and dropping Brazilian sites will make demonoid come back for sure.

Freebie shit doesn't pay for server costs and Anomymous doesn't want to pay for anything so it'll never happen.

I'm sure this will come back up like how they brought back that file site the US chopped down 6 months ago, that kim dotcom owned.

2013.8.2012 07:54

xtago, this has already happened before to Demonoid, when their servers were in Canada, so there IS reason to believe Demonoid may come back

2113.8.2012 16:50

not only that Bozo, but how many times has TPB come back from the dead?

2213.8.2012 21:17
josefene
Inactive

He will come back I know but unfortunately this time I dought he will be able to use his demon logo. Will have to go more private
like axxo but it wont be the same. Yes go for it anonymous please.

2313.8.2012 21:26
josefene
Inactive

If you all have noticed the domains are for sale but not the data.

2414.8.2012 11:56

I hope they come back.

2514.8.2012 13:56

What I find most amusing about the sale of the domain names, is that anyone would think that Demonoid users would give a rat's ass about any other company/organization that tried to use the name. Some people are complete idiots about metrics - lol...

2614.8.2012 18:01

Originally posted by Bozobub:
What I find most amusing about the sale of the domain names, is that anyone would think that Demonoid users would give a rat's ass about any other company/organization that tried to use the name. Some people are complete idiots about metrics - lol...
they may hook a few, probably about as effective as banner ad's.

2718.8.2012 00:06

I would buy the domain name just so I could give it back the the Demoniod folks for FREE!

2818.8.2012 14:04
bootgmv
Unverified new user

I would love to help punish them or help in anyway to get demonoid back up or make a similar site in the way it is set up and run , I cant stand any other torrent site I have seen and cant stand trying to use them, I only used it for tv shows that i missed or movies thatI already own but didnt want to have to convert or pay walmart 5 $ to make digital, lol not that i would.

2918.8.2012 22:08

i see a giant digital war coming about here soon, its funny its all about some little tiny sector spots on hard drives that hardly exist. everyones getting pissed because of some little spot on a hard drive. This ones a fact..... I've heard thousands of albums and most suck, typically there are about 1 to 2 tracks that are actually worth anything on a album and taht actually sound quality. and then of course the rest suck. Now why would I pay for a album that has 16 tracks on it and yet 1 to 2 tracks are only good?? i'm sure alot agree. and with the movie industry, you keep rehashing garbage swapping actors. the movie industry is the WORST OF ALL. and Marvel is s joke. most of the marvel movies DO NOT even match what the original comics storylines had. great job music and movie industries.. and you wonder why PEOPLE PIRATE STUFF! the last movie i went to was terminator salvation and that was even not up to par!! no R rating no arnold wtf!!! and you want me to pay for some watered down pg 13 movies that are re imagined by whacko directors!!! i dont think so!! hack it ALL up until it doesnt work anymore!! and so what anonymous has mostly script kiddies.. thats just a myth no one actually knows the real anonymous groupd who are probably the worst thing for the movie and music and riaa industry. you would be suprised the smallest things can do the worst DAMAGE!!and with a few masters in the group there will be devastating damage!

3019.8.2012 00:10

Yes, Anonymous is mostly script kiddies, sorry. Even Anonymous says so, FFS. Get a clue. LOIC takes absolutely no skill to use.

First off, let me say that I'm a "pirate". While I certainly *do* buy content from time to time, frankly, I could never afford even a small fraction of the terabytes of data I have on hand, not to mention the data I've lost or erased over the years.

Guess what? While it is not "theft" (a basic fallacy of the RIAA/MPAA), piracy still is copyright infringement. The difference? Primarily, one is criminal, one is civil. That's why the RIAA/MPAA is so anxious to redefine the matter; this way, they can hijack the legal apparatus to do their job FOR them. It really is that simple.

If you want quality content, never paying for it is not going to make that happen. If you think otherwise, you're dreaming! Who is going to make a AAA game or movie, if they know they're guaranteed to lose many millions of dollars? Answer: no one. Oh, sure, good stuff will occasionally be made by dedicated artists, but not often, and never at the scale it is now.

Grow up, and own your actions. I do. I'm just asocial, and don't care all that much, with exceptions for content that impresses me. I suppose I'd buy more, if I could afford it *shrug*... What's YOUR excuse?

Edit --> Would it be too much to ask, for you to, I dunno, use punctuation and formatting? Walls-O'-text aren't very easy to parse.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Aug 2012 @ 12:13

3119.8.2012 04:03

apparently pirates have internal conflict, and i would rather save my punctuation and proper spelling for something that actually matters. also apparently you take this so seriously you have a net conflict with people whom you will never meet.you are irrelevant and so is UR life whoops i spelled it "UR" it just means i dont give two shits about you and the horse you rode in on. guess its time to stop leeching wifi from yo momma and time for you to grow the fuck up. you're name says it all BOZO.

3219.8.2012 09:17

Originally posted by digitaldemolition:
apparently pirates have internal conflict, and i would rather save my punctuation and proper spelling for something that actually matters. also apparently you take this so seriously you have a net conflict with people whom you will never meet.you are irrelevant and so is UR life whoops i spelled it "UR" it just means i dont give two shits about you and the horse you rode in on. guess its time to stop leeching wifi from yo momma and time for you to grow the fuck up. you're name says it all BOZO.
Wow, personal attacks based on a conversation. I can tell now you are going to be a fabulous addition to the dialog here.

3319.8.2012 12:53

Originally posted by digitaldemolition:
1) Making fun of my name will get you nowhere. I chose it for a reason, silly. Ad hominem merely makes you one of my minions, for I am the Demon Lord of Clowns. Bow down.

2) Sorry, I pay for my own internet =) ... Nor do I live with my mother. Good lord, what a thought; we'd murder each other within a week!

3) Tell me one other place where punctuation and grammar matters more, than on a typewritten blog, besides in academic and legal matters? It's a form of communication; use it properly or be laughed at. No one requires perfect spelling and/or grammar, but Walls-O'-Text(tm) are simply difficult to read. If you didn't want to get your point across, why post?

4) I have a conflict..? YOU are the one who initially posted your 12-year-old polemic, buster. Furthermore, if you think of pirates as a whole, or Anonymous as a group, as particularly united, you're deluded and/or stoned. Furthermore, you quite obviously have a conflict with me, someone you never have, and never will meet. Not overly familiar with logic..?

I can only assume the truth has enraged you, as it so often does, as you sit in your nest of denial and lies about your own actions. It's OK, I forgive you; maturity (and body hair) will change your outlook and lack of manners eventually, I'm sure.

My point remains perfectly valid, despite your spittle-laden monitor: Piracy *is not* any kind of noble act, and *IS* quite illegal; it's just not the (significantly more serious) crime the RIAA/MPAA wants it to be. I simply don't care enough to not do it (nor can I afford not to), and apparently, so do you. It is what it is, and all the justifications in the world won't change that fact.

Again: Grow up and own your actions, or be viewed by the world as the child you are, mentally, no matter how old you actually are.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Aug 2012 @ 12:55

3419.8.2012 16:51

We bow down to the evil clown entity Beelze-bozobub ;)

I'm with you on the Walls-O'-Text (<--shamelessly ignores your copyrighted TM), nothing worse than a huge block of text with no effort given to making it readable.
We are taught English in school for a reason, if English is your native language that is, and we should take pride in our ability to use and write it properly. I personally despise the phonetic, truncated manner in which it's being used by the latest generations, it's being bastardized to the point where it will soon be no longer recognizable.
I feel that the effort a person puts into writing even the simplest things shows their level of maturity, intellect and an attention to detail that defines those differences between a chimpanzee banging away at a keyboard and an intelligent, educated being.

I now turn the soapbox back over to the malevolent clown.

3519.8.2012 17:21

Not "Beelze-bozobub", just "Bozobub"; Beelzebub can keep his flies. Ick.

3619.8.2012 17:30

could be a mistranslation, How about Lord of the Files?

3719.8.2012 20:38

Demon Lord of Clowns, no more, no less. If it ain't got greasy facepaint, it's not in my bailiwick.

Of course, many people serve me unknowingly; Tammy Faye Bakker was one of my best minions. The amount of greasepaint she could slather on was legendary! xD

3828.8.2012 13:53
Zakaria29
Unverified new user

Please give them hell and help Demoniod, I miss the hell out of it, it was and is truly the best out there!!

3930.8.2012 10:16
Blayz3d
Unverified new user

Take a look at www.torrent-finder.com.... it was seized by homeland security and shut down all in one day. Now they are back up and running as torrent-finder.info.... Stop worrying, it will take some time, but they will be back.

405.9.2012 08:47
JonnyLawless
Unverified new user

I Want To Help You Guys I Don't Wanna See Filesharing Become A Thing of The Past. I'm Serious Tho Let Me In On This Cuz Now I Can't Finish Watching The F**King Walking Dead. And As A Half German I Hate Ukraine Anyway.

414.10.2012 18:26

The shutting down of demonoid is killing me. Does anyone know of another resource for find applications? I could always find rare stuff on Demonoid :(

425.10.2012 01:28

The Pirate Bay, or Google (search for "{content name} ext:torrent").

Just use a little common sense, and you'll find TPB has far more content than any other extant tracker.

435.10.2012 11:06

Demonoid will be back sometime.. the requirement is to find new servers/hosts and get a domain registered. There is no need to use any "demonoid.whatever" domain.. anything will do. Also one of the admins has a few legal problems due to big brother USA and their "copyright" mafia cartel. They owe me, they have been collecting royalties on my creative commons released "products".. RIAA carry out deliberate and planned theft.. plain and simple.

I know what I'm talking about with Demonoid. I turned down an offer to own the site last time it was out of play after a lot of thought... Not a great idea owning a torrent site living in the UK ;)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Oct 2012 @ 11:07

445.10.2012 12:39

Originally posted by ps355528:
Demonoid will be back sometime..
That's good. I remember years ago they were down for like 6 months or so and it looks like it will that way again. I'm thinking an early 2013 return...

455.10.2012 12:43

Just use a little common sense, and you'll find TPB has far more content than any other extant tracker.
TPB has a lot, but not as much rare stuff as Dem did and often if you find something rare on TPB that is a year or more old it isn't seeded anymore. If something ever existed as a torrent then usually it could be found on Dem. Can't wait for their return!

465.10.2012 18:04

all rumours (people are playing their plans very close to their chest right now).. the BIG problem was the seizure of the servers.. and nobody had a recent working backup.. from what I heard it was a combination of factors which led to that situation, mostly a hdd crapping out and finding some nice reliable hosts somewhere that doesn't give a rats ass (been telling people for ages Iran or Antigua or Chechnya.. add Syria to the list of non US friendly countries)..

I do know somebody who has about a 70% mirror saved.. they were in the process of doing "damage limitation" when the domain was taken down, not expecting the "authorities" to go grab the hardware as well.. so knowing how mirroring a full site in that way works chances are most of the data will have survived in one form or another, and what is lost will likely be older listings and dead links anyway.

Early 2013 would be a good guess.. I have forwarded details of a decent host to my one and only contact in the "organisation" as I cut links with the Noid crew after turning down the offer last time.. got a bit jumpy and with some of the stuff I do I didn't want to be too closely linked to people getting arrested and raided etc.

4711.10.2012 12:14
Silkwhip
Unverified new user

Anonymous makes powers-that-be tremble

4811.10.2012 18:57

Originally posted by Smokeghost:

TPB has a lot, but not as much rare stuff as Dem did and often if you find something rare on TPB that is a year or more old it isn't seeded anymore. If something ever existed as a torrent then usually it could be found on Dem. Can't wait for their return!

You'll find, in fact, that a very large number of Demonoid torrents are aggregated on TPB =) . TPB has a vastly larger pool of content than any other tracker, but sorting out the dross is also significantly more difficult.

The big exception is fully-private trackers, such as Cinemageddon. Within their bailiwicks, they generally are supreme.

491.1.2013 18:18
Hacker1547
Unverified new user

Long Life To HAckerrss I'm One Of them

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive