1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie satellite start up

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by paulcfc67, Aug 14, 2012.

1. paulcfc67

paulcfc67 Member

hey guys,

I have been a loyal starview user but now decided to go satellite and currently trying to educate myself on this.

My plan is to get a local fitter to install a satellite for me but I have a few queries.

1. What size and type of dish (static/motorised) is recommended to pick up all the 3pm kickoffs etc.

2. what receiver is widely regarded as the best and is hd? I have looked at dreambox and blademedia? any others recommended?

3. Estimated cost of getting started?

4. Any recommended cline (pm me)

Thanks a lot guys

2. darn24p

darn24p Regular member

1. try flebay for a 1.2m motor and dish
    2. i would say vu duo is 1 of the best boxes out there but cheaper 1s will do the same job
    3. cost will be whatever it is for dish and setup ect and whatever box u decide to go for as for 3pm kickoffs u will need a multi sat c-line for that and make sure to ask before u buy that it has the footy cost for this is around £15 a month some u have to get sly uk seperate
    4 try using google to find a s*rver most ppl do and find stuff i myself did it that way lol if u get stuck give me a shout in a pm :)

3. paulcfc67

paulcfc67 Member

thanks mate, i think i have decided on the blade 7000s. got a local satellite installer coming to give me a quote tomorrow.

4. pudzyryan

pudzyryan Regular member

start cheap and learn as you go on... pick up motor,dish, and go dreambox to start, 150 euro should get you all 3... play around load all sats, get familiar with bouquets, and different sats. plenty tuts and reading about. your not a neewbie, just an inexperience expert.

5. paulcfc67

paulcfc67 Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence mate.:)

Well I have been lookIng around and been told dream boxes are more advanced and expensive than blade. The cheapest I'm seeing for the box dish and fittings are £250. I'm clearly not looking in the right places. I have also been told that dream boxes are mostly clones unless u pay out the nose.

6. darn24p

darn24p Regular member

i have never had any bother with clone dream boxes only with clone openboxes so dont worry if its a clone or not

7. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

But the dreambox is not HD, its a SD box, for me he is doing right with a Blade or even look at the Openbox, both simple to use and Blade is a media player also so you can watch films on via its media player and usb, Dreamboxs are good and yes cheap, but as more and more HD content is coming on stream, its a HD box all the way. Price about, you can pick up a new sat dish, 60cm for little money (20/25 on fleabay, a bracket is the same bout 10/14, 100m of cable is about 12 quid, the blade is about 160 approx) price around mate, you could get it for less. Look at your local sites and you will get a guy to fit it,not like they are all ran off their feet.

8. paulcfc67

paulcfc67 Member

Just had the satellite guys come and for them to supply and fit a motorised dish was £350 plus vat

They couldn't give me a quote just to install but to install a static dish was £85 plus vat.

This seems pretty steep to me....what do you guys think?

9. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Yeah it is, But not being able to see what they have to do, how much cable or where they are putting it, its hard to say, is that supplying the dish also? if not, shop about as i mention above you will get the stuff needed

10. paulcfc67

paulcfc67 Member

yes that was supplying the dish also. If i shopped about and got the stuff i needed, how difficult would it be to install myself?

11. cactikid

cactikid Active member

as said before it has to be done right and secure as you dont want it falling down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTgsdmqe8v8

seen this also,easier to set up but may depend on location.

Code:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TechniSat-Multytenne-4-Sats-On-1-Dish-No-Motor-Needed-/150439683174?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2306e76466

12. darn24p

darn24p Regular member

a sky uk dish is really easy to do a motorised dish can be a pain in the @ss if u dont really no what ur doing as for the prices u got quoted i would be doing it myself lol

13. paulcfc67

paulcfc67 Member

Just an update guys...

I have purchased a 97cm motorised dish with fittings and a blade bm7000s. Should be here on tuesday

Wish me luck with the install, I have done no diy in my life