AfterDawn: Tech news

Motorola, Intel plan press event for September 18th

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 29 Aug 2012 9:01 User comments (4)

Motorola, Intel plan press event for September 18th Motorola and Intel have sent out invites for a press event on September 18th, finally coming through on their CES promise of a collaboration.
The invite leaves little info except to say "Let us take you to the edge," with most anticipating a new smartphone.

If it is indeed a smartphone, it will likely be Motorola's first Medfield-based device. Medfield is the mobile chip codename being used by Intel for their new processors aimed at smartphones and tablets. The company has long fallen behind in the smartphone world, due to poor battery life caused by their powerful chips. This has allowed ARM-based chip makers like Texas Instruments, Nvidia and Qualcom to take large shares.

There is little else known about the device except that it is rumored to be Android 4.1, which is not surprising given that Motorola is owned by Google.

We will have a full update on the 18th.

Previous Next  

4 user comments

129.8.2012 09:43

September is going to be an exciting month in the tech world. Can't wait for all the announcements!

229.8.2012 11:25

Indeed, September will be exciting for tech. However, (nothing to do with your comment pensfan, so don't take offense) I'm a bit over Intel's domination of the processor market 'thing', if you will.

It seems to me they kind of have an Apple approach to processor sales. Stack em high, sell em high & buy off all the coding engineers to prioritize all the software to work with their CPUs primarily so as to drive the rest of the markets out (best case scenario) entirely.

That's the feel anyway & one that seems shared by a lot of the surrounding manufacturers as well. Not to mention the fact that their flagship processor tops at a crippling $1200 (well, current Newegg is $1000, but still) while a competitor can run at around $350/$375 (actually, Newegg $190, but who's counting). I fail to see the increase.

Yes, yes, I'm sure the Intel fans will 'come a racing', but it isn't necessary. Real world usage is what we're talking about & if software developers are favoring Intel over all others, then how can you stand there & quantitatively justify your stance?

You don't get to take home the gold when your athlete has been juicing. Having had all this blathering in mind, I'll probably pass on the Intel version of whatever they're trying to sell. Unless lightening strikes & the damn thing falls into my lap.

31.9.2012 00:36

I have been a long time user of AMD processor due to their excellent price to performance ratio. However my horrible experience with their chip set for Phenon Quad on an MSI motherboard (major video AND USB problems) has made me rethink my strategy. In the past I always used via chi sets which may have given say 90 % performance compared to others but they has stability and reliability than none could match which was more important for me and my clients.

If AMD wants to get back into the game they need to collaborate with via and let board designers to the marriage !

43.9.2012 11:29

Originally posted by pmshah:

If AMD wants to get back into the game they need to collaborate with via and let board designers to the marriage !

I tend to agree... VIA has had a tendency to let some boards 'go' because of being locked in bed with AMD & that's just bad for business.

Having worked extensively with Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Tyan motherboards, tend to use the VIA 'branded' (actually has the name VIA on the chip) chipsets in their lower end models. Otherwise, they use AMD's spec'ed or tailored chipset followed by what I would understand to be a much more brutal scrutinized verison of VIA's offering.

I'm not aware that these board manufacturers are making any changes/modifications or versions of the chipsets of their own, however that would answer a lot as well. But there are simply times I have gotten a rotten experience with an AMD board & changed it out with a more pricey one & got a better ride.

Obviously, you're going to pay for it & sometimes it boils down to driver glitches being a bother, but the payoffs can be in dividends. Especially to my wallet!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive