1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVD Player Error

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by adam79, Aug 29, 2012.

1. adam79

adam79 Member

I have a Philips DVD Player, model DVP3140/37. It suddenly stopped working.. it displays "err0r" when loading a DVD. I opened it up and sprayed some Dust Off on the lens, which looks clean, along with everything else, and still no luck. I tried using one of those CD/DVD cleaners (with the brush on the bottom), but that won't load either. Anyways, after looking over the inside, all the connections are good, but there was one piece that looked suspicious. It's a black part labeled C9 on the circuit board that has white goop around it.. this is something that I've never seen before. The goop is solid. It doesn't come apart when you poke it, but it's been sitting around for a while so it could have dried if it's discharge. Below are a couple pictures. Could this be the problem?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    -Adam

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Yes that is called an electrolytic capacitor.From looking at the photo it kind of looks like some kind of epoxy cement that they use to hold components in place.It doesn't look like it came out of the capacitor from what I can tell.Here is the owners manual for it maybe it will help you find the problem.
    http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp3140_37/dvp3140_37_dfu_aen.pdf
    Here is a software upgrade for your player at the link below.
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/..._37/dvp3140_37_fur_aen.pdf#toolbar=0&zoom=100

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  3. adam79

adam79 Member

The DVD isnt reading any discs, so Im assuming that it wont be able to load the upgrade disc.

Has anyone had this "Err0r" problem and found a fix? Im just confused how one day it worked fine and the next.. nothing! I didnt drop it or anything!

Is there some kind of manual way to clean the lens? I was thinking of dipping a q-tip in contact cleaner.. is this a good idea or a really bad one?

Thanks,
    -Adam

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Don't use contact cleaner because it will probably melt the plastic.Just use alcohol on a Q-tip or some soapy water.Make sure you let it dry real good before you plug it in and turn it on.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  5. adam79

adam79 Member

Does it matter what percentage Isopropyl Alcohol I use? Thanks.

6. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Probably the 91% would be better than the 70%.Sometimes the 70% will leave a film on stuff after it dries.I used to use 91% to clean Heads on VCR's.The 70% would make it worse.