AfterDawn: Tech news

Fox to release HD digital copies of films weeks before discs

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 11 Sep 2012 8:08 User comments (11)

Fox to release HD digital copies of films weeks before discs Fox has announced it will begin selling HD digital copies of films weeks before their retail release on DVD and Blu-ray.
The first film to get such treatment will be 'Prometheus' which will be available as an UltraViolet title on September 18th, weeks before the title's October 11th retail date. Despite it being a UV title, you will not need a UV account.

Additionally, due to much smaller overhead, the company is offering the movie for $15 as a digital copy compared to $40 MSRP on Blu-ray and $30 MSRP on DVD. Of course, retailers have cheaper prices, with Wal-Mart and Amazon selling the DVD for $20 on pre-order and $28 on Blu-ray.

Prometheus is part of Fox's Digital HD initiative which will bring 600 films to new devices and new retailers including Amazon, CinemaNow, Sony's PS3, the Xbox 360, iTunes and Vudu.

A few other new titles set for early digital release are Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, The Watch, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days and Ice Age: Continental Drift.

Previous Next  

11 user comments

111.9.2012 20:17

No for me. I like the old fashion way at 16 cents or less per movie.
I'm around 500 movies behind that own and haven't watched yet.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Sep 2012 @ 8:21

211.9.2012 20:33

Prometheus is going to be one of those few movies that I blind buy on Blu-ray. Haven't seen AL:Vampire Hunter, I'm sure someone will post this hd pre-release on torrent soon. If I download a movie and I really like, 90% of the time, I will buy it on blu-ray.

312.9.2012 08:50

I wish Sony and MS themselves would realize this price scheme is more acceptable than their own. $15 for hopefully a bluray quality release movie, is far better than $5 off full price. Same should be done with games since you don't need to reserve shelve space, no stocking in warehouses, etc.

412.9.2012 09:50

I'll just wait til Netflix has it on DVD or Blu-ray and watch it. I was never in a hurry to see any movie right away and pay an outrages price to see or own it. Patience is virtue which has it rewards.

512.9.2012 13:16

When I can download the film any time I want after paying to see it once I might be interested.
But I say $15/£10 is still far too much.

I'm only buying Blu-ray when they hit £3 - £7 ($4.83 - $11.27) as it is.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Sep 2012 @ 1:16

612.9.2012 13:52

this is good but the price needs to be a lot cheaper only way people will buy

712.9.2012 15:47

Originally posted by mike.m:
Prometheus is going to be one of those few movies that I blind buy on Blu-ray.
Totally off topic but watched Prometheus in HD yesterday and...well can't say I would watch it again except to try to make more connections to Alien series...didn't think the effects were really that great...especialy with the "engineer" or whatever they call the guy they find. Assuming "blind buy" means ya haven't seen it I wouldn't do it.

812.9.2012 15:52

I saw Prometheus in 3D at a new cinema near me. Some 3D bits really stood out bu at home all I want is a really good HD transfer.

.....and I'm not paying more than £8 for it either.

I can wait.

914.9.2012 15:13

"Prometheus is part of Fox's Digital HD initiative which..."

is trying to force stream-only content? Sounds like it. It will be a sad day for me when I can no longer tangibly holds a movie in my hands.

1014.9.2012 15:22

Originally posted by 8686:
"Prometheus is part of Fox's Digital HD initiative which..."

is trying to force stream-only content? Sounds like it. It will be a sad day for me when I can no longer tangibly holds a movie in my hands.
Disks are overrated IMHO...the only issue I have with streaming are the actual issues of streaming such as mobile access, quality, overbearing DRM, etc. Personally I put all my DVDs onto hard drives and put away the disks; I would do it with the blurays as well if not for the price fixing in the HDD arena.

1116.9.2012 11:27

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Disks are overrated IMHO...the only issue I have with streaming are the actual issues of streaming such as mobile access, quality, overbearing DRM, etc. Personally I put all my DVDs onto hard drives and put away the disks; I would do it with the blurays as well if not for the price fixing in the HDD arena.

I tend to agree. It isn't the medium exactly that I'm married to, but the delivery system & all its flaws. Streaming just doesn't cut it.; i.e., too many flaws. The DVD/Blurays are nice in that I enjoy the 'making of' & some directorial comments included in the bonus features, but collecting the disks has its limitations once storage space starts to hit its limits as well.

Mass HDD storage & playback from those devices has become my favorite as of recent & I don't see that changing. The whole 'cloud' option is loathsome & obviously no secret to those who have read my blatherings from before.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive