AfterDawn: Tech news

Asus Windows 8 tablets to cost up to $1299?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 18 Sep 2012 9:30 User comments (5)

Asus Windows 8 tablets to cost up to $1299?

It appears that Asus has already decided to price itself out of the Windows 8 tablet market, in a move that makes little sense.
A leaked holiday roadmap shows the company has three Windows 8 tablets ready to go, starting at $599 and headed up to $1299 for a hybrid.

Check the impressive (but expensive) tablets here (via ZDnet):

Asus will likely have issues selling the devices, especially the more expensive ones, given that most Windows 8 notebooks, including ultrabooks, will cost $1000 or less.

Previous Next  

5 user comments

119.9.2012 00:49

It's as if they don't even want to sell them.

219.9.2012 01:19

I agree. Why I would want the Atom version, when the Surface Pro will have an i5 at roughly the same price point or less, is beyond me. I also have difficulty seeing the use for the "Taichi" model; I never had many problems sharing files between two users on the same machine, myself (and how many laptops/tablets have more than one user, anyhow?) or between two separate PCs (how would having 2 panels make THAT any easier?).

Meh.

319.9.2012 03:46

What a lack of vision.

If companies will price the Windows 8 tabs aggressively, they can knock the iPad off its perch.

It's moronic moves like this that have established a market that is Apple and the also-rans. Hopefully Microsoft will show 'em how it's done with the Surface. Unfortunately, the Zune history doesn't give us lots of reason for optimism about Microsoft's hardware marketing strategy.

419.9.2012 13:07

Quote:
Hopefully Microsoft will show 'em how it's done with the Surface.
Microsoft is really between a rock and a hard place. If they manage to cripple the competition, the Department of Justice will start in on them again about their monopolistic practices, but if they don't compete they'll continue to follow just behind everyone else.

In their defense they've got a pretty tenuous juggling act to perform.

521.9.2012 15:54

Beautiful but Xpensive .,like the idea of USB port.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive