AfterDawn: Tech news

Hacker gets pay day from Google for cracking Chrome

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 11 Oct 2012 4:34 User comments (10)

Hacker gets pay day from Google for cracking Chrome A hacker who goes by the name "Pinkie Pie" has had a nice pay day.
Pinkie Pie was paid $60,000 by Google for hacking the Chrome browser during the ongoing Hack in the Box Conference event in Kuala Lampur.

Google allows hackers to attack their Chrome browser as long as they report vulnerabilities. The grand prize was $60,000 for anyone who found a "full exploit." All partial exploits have prizes of $50,000.

The search giant called the hack "critical" and says it will not reveal the vulnerability until the majority of its users have patched their system.

Other companies like Mozilla and Facebook offer similar bounty programs, offering money for those who come forward after finding exploits.

Read more here: Chrome Blog

Previous Next  

10 user comments

111.10.2012 19:55

great for him :)

212.10.2012 00:58

Originally posted by A5J4DX:
Could be a her. I mean, what self respecting guy would go by the name "Pinkie Pie"? lol I kid of course, but seems more like a chick to me.

312.10.2012 02:22

Well good for whoever did it, and didn't abuse it. That's a nice chuck of money.

412.10.2012 02:27

I wish I was that good with computers. I'd use my powers for good like that. Would be nice.

512.10.2012 05:46

Originally posted by bigdan45:
Could be a her. I mean, what self respecting guy would go by the name "Pinkie Pie"? lol I kid of course, but seems more like a chick to me.
- but remember Hitler's handle was Hot Cheeks

612.10.2012 09:13
Lampwick
Unverified new user

Originally posted by attar:
Originally posted by bigdan45:
- but remember Hitler's handle was Hot Cheeks
Brilliant

712.10.2012 12:48

I love how Google won't reveal the vulnerability until "After" the patch. You would think consumers would have a right to know "before" the patch.

812.10.2012 15:17

Originally posted by Mysttic:
I love how Google won't reveal the vulnerability until "After" the patch. You would think consumers would have a right to know "before" the patch.
IMHO a good move by Google. Revealing the vulnerability before opens the doors for other hackers to exploit it and compromise users PC's.

Remember it is only a handful of users who are tech savvy enough to be able to protect themselves.

913.10.2012 11:33

Maybe Sony should take notes from Google on this topic.

1013.10.2012 22:33

Originally posted by Mysttic:
Are you joking? It's better than Microsoft's strategy of running a report of the mechanics behind exactly how a newly discovered exploit works, then patches it two months later.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive