AfterDawn: Tech news

4K resolution to now be called 'Ultra High Definition'

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 21 Oct 2012 9:36 User comments (26)

4K resolution to now be called 'Ultra High Definition'

The large resolution display format "4K" will now be known as "Ultra High Definition" for consumers.
The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) made the announcement this week, claiming the new name would make it more clear for consumers that the displays have a resolution above Full HD 1,920 x 1,080 pixels.

Ultra HD will require resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 pixels vertically, the CEA said. Furthermore, any Ultra HD display will require at least one 4K-capable digital input and be able to display 4K content natively without upconverting.

"This new terminology and the recommended attributes will help consumers navigate the marketplace to find the TV that best meets their needs," concluded president and CEO of CEA Gary Shapiro.

Tags: 4K ultra hd
Previous Next  

26 user comments

122.10.2012 00:31

what about Mega HD though?

OR GALACTIC HD??????????

222.10.2012 00:53

Kinda of a stupid name Hight deff is now standard. 4k might be a better choice.

322.10.2012 02:18

["will help consumers navigate the marketplace to find the TV that best meets their needs"]end quote\

honestly it's bad enough now trying to decide what tv to get now there's another,oh yeah right lets name it 4k like that'll really help the "AVERAGE" consumer..i need to lie down i'm get'n a headache

422.10.2012 03:38

Originally posted by Morreale:
what about Mega HD though?

OR GALACTIC HD??????????
thats 5 to 10 years away.

seriously unless you got $20000 or more to spend on a tv you wont even consider ultra high definition.

522.10.2012 07:41

I wonder how long before companies start lieing about the standard llike they did with all those 480I tube tv's they sold as 1080p.

622.10.2012 12:31

I suppose eventually 4K might become the standard but I'd say it's far from certain.
The leap in cost verses the gain for most is just never going to be worth it.

I can see it being like Blu-ray all over again, an improvement, yes, but hardly something to set the world on fire and in the end just another product amongst many and hardly the global smash success or market leader hoped for.

I'd be surprised if we move too far on from ever better 1080p displays in the medium term.

722.10.2012 13:15

Not really worth upgrading to 4K unless you want a massive TV or a projector, or you sit really close to a TV. There will be a difference but for most people I doubt it would be worth the cost.

822.10.2012 15:10

Having been effectively abandoned in the high-end PC market, I'm excited about 4K for TVs, so I can finally use something better in the PC workspace platform.

Killerbug: it's already happened, Toshiba manufactured the 'first 4K HD TV' in the form of the 55ZL2. It turns out, it only accepts 1080p inputs and upscales them to a 2160p panel. There are no current plans to pair the panel with a 2160p input!

922.10.2012 17:34

The name "Ultra" is no bad. I'm a DJ & VJ and I have "Ultra-Mixes" since long time ago; but "Quad" sounds cooler & "4K" is more simple, since this tech is here now, but it gonna be on the past just like anything else.
Also I'm ready for a new TV since my 1080p 75" TV is already 9yo. The only bad thing is that I want a bigger TV with this technology for around 12K. :(

Toshiba, Sony & LG:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/30/32790...ility-US-europe

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Oct 2012 @ 6:11

1022.10.2012 17:35

I wouldn't get ready any time soon, this tech is still a few years away before it drops out of the 5-figure price bracket.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Oct 2012 @ 5:35

1122.10.2012 17:51

im sure it was called that like 2yrs ago or so meh nothing new here

1222.10.2012 17:59

They should just make it easy and and call 1080p HD and 4k HD2 or something.

1322.10.2012 19:46

I'm with Sammorris. I want a much larger, much higher def monitor for my computer but 1080 is it, unless I want to shell out far too much.
I don't understand why we're stuck with the 22" 1080p monitor as the standard. Did they just decide that that was enough?

1423.10.2012 01:44

Originally posted by ThePastor:
I'm with Sammorris. I want a much larger, much higher def monitor for my computer but 1080 is it, unless I want to shell out far too much.
I don't understand why we're stuck with the 22" 1080p monitor as the standard. Did they just decide that that was enough?
I think price is a huge reason why manufactures are not making ultra HD monitors. Not many people pay up to a grand or more for a monitor unless it's for work with graphics, photos, or video. I think once price comes down in the far future you will see lots of 4K monitors or higher HD monitors. There are some Korean monitor manufactures like Catleap and Nixeus (not sure if they are Korean) that are selling huge 27" high res monitors for a very good price. Most consumers that want high res monitors are turning to these 2 products and it all has to do with the price.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Oct 2012 @ 1:45

1523.10.2012 13:55

The big problems with 4K are cost and need. It's way too expensive for most consumers, and frankly, unless you have a 55"+ display, it's difficult to see any improvement over 1080p. For PC monitors, the sweet spot for size seems to be 21"-24", and at that size, 4K is largely useless.

1626.10.2012 22:50

I see a technology upgrade in my future...

1726.10.2012 22:52

Originally posted by phobet:

A truism. There's always a technology upgrade in your future... =)

1827.10.2012 02:47

Originally posted by Bozobub:

True that. I bought the new iPad, when it came out in April. Low & behold, they came out with a new one. <sigh>

1927.10.2012 05:01

True that. I bought the new iPad, when it came out in April. Low & behold, they came out with a new one. <sigh>
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

2027.10.2012 20:10

Originally posted by sammorris:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple
Bwahahaha, this is sooo true! I feel like the proverbial iGerbel, caught in the iWheel. I had better quit while I'm ahead (or at least, while I have a shred of common sense...).

2128.10.2012 13:47

I am NOT buying the epsilon ray version of Star Wars so I can watch it on my new 192" wide screen TV with my grandkids...

No more forced upgrading!!!

2228.10.2012 15:10

Exactly, LordRuss.

2328.10.2012 21:56

Honestly, I would like to see "Screens" become separated from "tuners", so that you're not buying a new TV but rather, buying a new screen for your wall or desk.
I mean, I haven't used the tuner on my TV in years!

I'd like to be able to buy a 6' "screen" that I could hang on my wall that could display various resolutions. Or maybe a monitor that was large enough to display two full 1080 screens.

I think the proper way to market such things would be in size and pixel density.

Then maybe we can finally get away from forcing our "TV"s to be media consumption devices and free them to become versatile household appliances.

I want a video wall that can display my TV in one corner and a virtual window in another, fully configurable with my computer.

2429.10.2012 12:00

Originally posted by ThePastor:
Honestly, I would like to see "Screens" become separated from "tuners", so that you're not buying a new TV but rather, buying a new screen for your wall or desk.
I mean, I haven't used the tuner on my TV in years!

Exactly! Except for the rural areas around me where the cable companies refuse to put in service & Dish/Direct are being asses about the install costs (sometimes they want absurd amounts of up front money) - off air is about all these folks use.

But other than the digital tuner that hasn't changed in almost 12 years (that fits in a match box) screen resolution is all that changed. Off air signals still remain 720 (if that's what you want to call it) & I don't see that changing for another 15 years, except possibly for the metropolitan areas.

So sure, just like the video card in your computer & the monitor on your desk, why not have an upgradable 'monitor' on your wall.

I like it!

2529.10.2012 14:33

You can already do this, to at least some extent. Digital HDTV tuner/coax input/etc. adapters are available for $40-100, depending on features. Newegg, for example, has quite a few.

It's sometimes possible to save a bit, in fact, if you buy a monitor + adapter vs. a "true" HDTV, especially for the larger sizes, plus computer monitors often have significantly better performance. The lack of overscan of monitors is also very nice, as well as the elimination of a duplicate device.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Oct 2012 @ 2:35

2630.10.2012 13:36

Now, if I can just fine that 60" Monitor that I can plug my XBMC into for under $1000

:D

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive