AfterDawn: Tech news

Apple posts 'apology' to Samsung on UK website

Written by James Delahunty @ 26 Oct 2012 11:31 User comments (11)

Apple posts 'apology' to Samsung on UK website Apple 'apology' doesn't seem very sincere.
The company had been ordered earlier this month to publish apologies to Samsung for claiming that the South Korean firm had ripped off its iPhone and iPad with the Galaxy brand of smartphones and tablets. Today, Apple had taken those steps, posting a link on its UK site's mainpage to a note about the ruling in the UK.

However, if this was supposed to be an apology, it reads more like a defence of Apple and a gloating of the "coolness" of its designs. Well.. you be the judge..

Samsung / Apple UK judgment

On 9th July 2012 the High Court of Justice of England and Wales ruled that Samsung Electronic (UK) Limited's Galaxy Tablet Computer, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.7 do not infringe Apple's registered design No. 0000181607-0001. A copy of the full judgment of the High court is available on the following link www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Patents/2012/1882.html.

In the ruling, the judge made several important points comparing the designs of the Apple and Samsung products:

"The extreme simplicity of the Apple design is striking. Overall it has undecorated flat surfaces with a plate of glass on the front all the way out to a very thin rim and a blank back. There is a crisp edge around the rim and a combination of curves, both at the corners and the sides. The design looks like an object the informed user would want to pick up and hold. It is an understated, smooth and simple product. It is a cool design."

"The informed user's overall impression of each of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets is the following. From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design; but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool."

That Judgment has effect throughout the European Union and was upheld by the Court of Appeal on 18 October 2012. A copy of the Court of Appeal's judgment is available on the following link www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2012/1339.html. There is no injunction in respect of the registered design in force anywhere in Europe.

However, in a case tried in Germany regarding the same patent, the court found that Samsung engaged in unfair competition by copying the iPad design. A U.S. jury also found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's design and utility patents, awarding over one billion U.S. dollars in damages to Apple Inc. So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad.

Can you feel the love?

Tags: Samsung Apple
Previous Next  

11 user comments

126.10.2012 12:13

Samsung: "Apology accepted?"

226.10.2012 15:15

"Apology not good enough. $18 Billion to Samsung."

326.10.2012 16:24

Could Apple make themselves look any more small?

This is pathetic.....like as if crusty old British judges are the arbiters of 'cool' anyway.

The truth is one smart phone looks much like another & Apple's claim to various patents over the look are laughable.

Samsung ought to counter-sue in downtown Seoul, just as Apple did in their hometown - it was the only place Apple could get a win, they had failed in the UK, Germany & Holland before that.

426.10.2012 17:24

I think Apple should be held in Contempt of Court, but not my call so meh.

526.10.2012 21:52

so this is what constitutes an apology these days?looks like an apple advert to me.

626.10.2012 22:07

I didn't see an apology. Only a sorta-acceptance of the ruling.

71.11.2012 11:15
Zoo_Look
Inactive

I think Apple should be burned at the stake alongside patent lawyers, the US patent office, Lucy Koh, anyone who buys apple products, anyone who owns apple products, anyone who uses apple products, anyone who defends apple products, anyone who thinks apple products are "cool", jury foremen who lie under oath...

Did I miss anyone?

81.11.2012 14:40

Originally posted by Zoo_Look:
I think Apple should be burned at the stake alongside patent lawyers, the US patent office, Lucy Koh, anyone who buys apple products, anyone who owns apple products, anyone who uses apple products, anyone who defends apple products, anyone who thinks apple products are "cool", jury foremen who lie under oath...

Did I miss anyone?
We're gonna need alot of iLogs
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2012 @ 2:40

91.11.2012 14:45

Yeah it doesn't look anything like an apology to me. It just looks like Apple advertising. "Our products are 'cooler'". Just a shame its products aren't "better".

101.11.2012 14:56

Originally posted by Notcow:
"Apology not good enough. $18 Billion to Samsung."
How funny, I was right. Apple was just told their apology was not good enough, and it now has to be on their homepage, as well as an actual apology Maybe I should move to the UK.

Also, they tried to tell the court they needed two weeks...nope. 48 hours. Awesome.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2012 @ 3:19

111.11.2012 17:36

good for the brits.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive