AfterDawn: Tech news

Google shows off 2560 x 1600 resolution Nexus 10 tablet

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 29 Oct 2012 2:20 User comments (12)

Google shows off 2560 x 1600 resolution Nexus 10 tablet

Google has unveiled their Nexus 10 tablet today, the full-sized brother to the popular Nexus 7 and a true iPad competitor.
Built by Samsung, the device features a 10.1 inch display with an incredible 2,560 x 1,600-pixel resolution. With a ppi of 300, the company has built a display that rivals and surpasses Apple's Retina.

Android head Andy Rubin says even with the display, the Nexus 10 will last 9 hours when playing video and 500 hours on standby.

Priced ultra competitively, just like the new Nexus 4, the 16GB version of the tablet will cost $399 and $499 for the 32GB model.

Under the hood is a dual-core, Cortex A15-based 1.7 GHz Samsung Exynos 5250, which Google says is faster than Apple's new iPad A6. Furthermore, there is a Mali T604 GPU, stereo speakers, 2GB of RAM, NFC, 802.11 b/g/n (MIMO + HT40) WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, with front-and rear NFC (Android beam) radios. There are dual 5/1.9-MP cameras, a microUSB, Pogo Pin, microHDMI for connectivity, and a thin frame of just 8.9mm.

Like the Nexus 4, the tablet will be available on November 13th directly from the Google Play Store.

Previous Next  

12 user comments

129.10.2012 14:35

It was a good run iPad...

229.10.2012 14:52

its being quoted elsewhere that it doesn't have a micro sd slot but does have a micro usb

329.10.2012 16:34

Originally posted by elbald90:
its being quoted elsewhere that it doesn't have a micro sd slot but does have a micro usb
You are corrected, updated now.

429.10.2012 17:30

If it goes on sale for $300 or so, might be it...
Although,it has round corners, crApple won't allow it....

529.10.2012 19:14

Micro usb is a decent compromise... I guess I'll see about it.

629.10.2012 19:51

Nice specs, almost there. Must have 64gb + 64gb for me to buy. Hopefully that tablets hits next year. Some of us want to watch and listen to the videos/music we own without the cloud bs. My Acer iconia a500 has all the ports just not the speed. I have 4,000 mp3s that will not fit on this damn thing. Will it have a keyboard dock with battery and expansion? That would be a push in the right direction.

730.10.2012 00:41

I'm glad that samsungs expos 5 is on a nexus device that means the SOC is now open. :) this will be the best soc for a long long time.

830.10.2012 11:59

Really wish they had included Micro SDHC so that I can carry some of my home videos on it. At 7GB for a 90 minute HD movie, there isn't a lot of space on that thing. I agree with harhumph, it really needs to let me add some storage tomake it work my money. I guess I'll go with the Surface. It's a darn good tablet and lets me add storage. Since it plays HD videos natively, I also don't have to load some lame android app to attempt to run them.

930.10.2012 12:51

Sorry but no micro sd card slot is a deal breaker on any of this stuff for me.
Nice tablet, nice specs shame they left out one of the most essential basics.

102.11.2012 00:36

BTW the battery life as related to the display is mainly dependent on the size of the backlight area. Power consumption of LCD itself is insignificant.

I am still waiting for someone to come out with transflective LCD displays similar to what Compaq iPaq had in the 90s. That should solve most of your battery problems.

If it has UTG (USB on the go) implemented all one needs is correct cable and and a card reader!

112.11.2012 17:14

Originally posted by pmshah:
BTW the battery life as related to the display is mainly dependent on the size of the backlight area. Power consumption of LCD itself is insignificant.

I am still waiting for someone to come out with transflective LCD displays similar to what Compaq iPaq had in the 90s. That should solve most of your battery problems.

If it has UTG (USB on the go) implemented all one needs is correct cable and and a card reader!
Except these OTG cables are not neatly tucked away like a sd card would be . Also ive read some chat that says we cant sideload any apps on this device . Is that true ? Cant we side load via the OTG cable ?

If so then id wait for a drop in price before i bought one . If not
ill take a pass on this device . I need my micro sd and expandability

124.11.2012 14:49

Once again, we have a tablet with ridiculous display resolution. I just don't see the use for such crazy intense screen resolution for such a small screen. Not that it doesn't look pretty, but between all the system resources it'll take to run it & What's actually possible to miniaturize... Not to mention the battery life to maintain it...

Are we going to get that much of an 'Apple Killer' that the media seems to think they have here? It's gonna be close. I'm thinking it's a bit much for such a small package.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive