AfterDawn: Tech news

Intel announces SSD 335 series, 20-nm NAND flash

Written by James Delahunty @ 29 Oct 2012 9:08 User comments (6)

Intel announces SSD 335 series, 20-nm NAND flash Intel unveils SSD 335 series.
It is the first SSD shipped by Intel that uses an using industry leading 20-nanometer (nm) NAND flash memory process. The 6Gb/s SATA SSD 335 series comes in a 240 gigabyte (GB) capacity that performs 500 megabytes-per-second (MB/s) sequential reads and 450 MB/s sequential writes to provide users a blend of cutting-edge performance and Intel quality.

The 20nm NAND flash memory process was jointly developed by IM Flash Technologies (IMFT). It uses a new cell structure that enables more aggressive cell scaling than conventional architectures. The 20nm 64Gb NAND uses a planar cell structure -- the first in the industry -- to overcome the inherent difficulties that accompany advanced process technology, enabling performance and reliability on par with the previous 25nm generation.

"The Intel SSD 335 uses Hi-K/metal gate planar cell technology, which overcomes NAND process scaling constraints to deliver the smallest-area NAND cell and die in the industry," said Rob Crooke, Intel vice president and general manager for the Intel Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Solutions Group.

"By pushing technology constraints and using process innovation, Intel can continue to progress SSD technology and pass along savings to our customers."

Tags: Intel
Previous Next  

6 user comments

130.10.2012 01:41

240 gig's huh why not 350 gigs or 500 gigs two small of a drive even to run windows 7

230.10.2012 12:52

Sweet! To the commenter above *facepalm* / *sigh*

330.10.2012 13:03

Originally posted by megadunderhead:
240 gig's huh why not 350 gigs or 500 gigs two small of a drive even to run windows 7
Nonsense.......before having just bought my 256Gb Crucial M4, I was rolling with an old ass Samsung 160Gb 7200 spin drive. Massive games installed and my PC is integrated and the center of my entertainment system so I put it to FULL use.

256Gb is PLENTY of space for Win7 or Win8. Get a clue!

As for Intel's new drive.....phooooey!

Samsung 830 series and Crucial M4 are the industry's 2 best.....PERIOD! I've done my homework therefore I know.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Oct 2012 @ 1:04

430.10.2012 13:06

Quote:
Nonsense.......before having just bought my 256Gb Crucial M4, I was rolling with an old ass Samsung 160Gb 7200 spin drive. Massive games installed and my PC is integrated and the center of my entertainment system so I put it to FULL use.

Indeed you are right; mine is an Intel 520 series 120GB SSD. Which is still more than enough to run the OS. I use a 2TB Raid for my media storage and occasionally I'll run my apps or a game on the SSD. I cant say I been disappointed, these drives run fantastic. To each their own tho.

531.10.2012 16:57

Originally posted by Mysttic:
Quote:

Indeed you are right; mine is an Intel 520 series 120GB SSD. Which is still more than enough to run the OS. I use a 2TB Raid for my media storage and occasionally I'll run my apps or a game on the SSD. I cant say I been disappointed, these drives run fantastic. To each their own tho.
To be honest, Intel drives are the original best with the most efficient controllers. All others are having to live up to the Intel SSD performance standard.......which the Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 series have done with honors so I shouldn't really knock it.

65.11.2012 23:10

wow, nice advertisement. Nice, unbiased purchased "commentary" here.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive